What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What constituents are present in vapor from a dry herb vaporizer?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I have been looking for any studies that show exactly what constituents are in cannabis vapor from a dry herb vaporizer. There is plenty of data on what's in the liquid carts. Ever since all those people died and got sick from vitamin E acetate there were a billion papers published. It even got it's own name (EVALI). But, that is not what I am looking for. I am interested in the vapor from a dry herb vape like the Volcano, Pax, etc.

Here is a nice paper that outlines the various constituents in cannabis smoke and tobacco smoke... https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-63120-6

And, from that study, a chart expressing exactly what I am looking for only in vapor.... https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-63120-6/figures/3

If you have a link to information that might help, I would appreciate a link or pointer.

Thank you

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
That question has not been properly answered yet, but 'it depends' is the best answer. Depends on the strain for the flavors and oils. Depends on the temperature. Depends on how long the material has been heated.

The compounds will shed starting with the ones that have the lowest vapor pressure. As the material heats up and the compounds gain energy, they also seem to change. I vape with a Volcano hybrid, which has a heated chamber as well as heated blown air. I like to use the whip instead of the balloon. The reason is because I only want the stuff that is shed at the first draw, before the more nasty compounds wake up. I am of the opinion that the order of shedding is:

Terps >> light oils >> nasty stuff (possibly chlorophyll) >> cannabis oils

The nasty stuff that is woken up after the terps makes me hack and cough. That is why I do not vape very deep into the material. Just pre-heat the unit at 420*F, add about a gram in the chamber, put it on and let it heat soak about 10-15 seconds. Turn on the fan and take a 'power-hit' with the whip.

That's it - the goodness is off and another draw will be the nastys. The good oil is still on the ABV, so I make butter from it. I grow dope and have plenty, so 'waste' is not a factor. besides, the goodies are still in the butter.

I pondered this question until I just gave up. Also, get a hybrid and toss that cheap toy EQ.

Last edited:

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I am not really looking for the terps that we know about. I am more looking for other "by-products" like Phenol or Benzene or some of the other constituents that are in the cannabis smoke. I know combustion is going to provide a very different profile than vaping but I expect many of the same constituents in both the vapor and the smoke.

e.g. Chlorophyll. It melts at about 420F (my vape temp of choice) so I imagine at least some of it is in the vapor. Melting is not the same as evaporating but some gas must escape during the process.

Also, I am thinking that a ton of it is simple water moisture.

I didn't major in biology but I do recall that shit changes quite a bit when it's heated. Just wondering about cannabis vapor.

Thanks

Reactions: Gry

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Thanks for the input, chilli. I am not finding shit on this. Maybe dry vaping is still too new or just not as popular as I thought. Maybe no one but me gives a fuck. LOL Or, since there have been no disasters that made the news like the liquid vapes, no one did studies. Whatever the reason, I am not finding much.

I am finding a lot about tobacco smoke and a fair share about cannabis smoke. In reading these studies, I have pondered a question....... all the studies are based on what is in the smoke as it comes out of the source and heads into your lungs. BUT, we all exhale. And, whether it's smoke or vapor, some of what goes IN, comes OUT.

So, what is absorbed by the mouth, throat and lungs and what is blown out and never absorbed? Would it be an equal percent of every constituent? Not likely. Smaller particles first? Not necessarily true, but possibly contributory.

I recall reading something a while back about how THC is absorbed (from smoke) in the first few seconds it enters the lungs, de-bunking the age old myth about holding in hits. I don't recall the source or it's validity.

It's all just making me wonder exactly what goes in and exactly what comes out. It seems to me that what you absorb is way more important than what's actually in the smoke/vapor.

You would think big tobacco would want this info??? If I could invent a tobacco cigarette that has tar and nicotine in it but zero percent of it was absorbent, I could buy that house up in BigHorn.

The search continues.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
You still using the EQ?

Holding your breath is very valuable. When I power hit on the 'cano, I can feel the goodness as my heart beats and blood is pumped by another beat. It only goes so far each pump, and takes about 6 seconds to reach my extremities. I can feel the blood as it travels and excites the receptors. Maybe you should try that and sense the movement. Holding your breath ensures there is dope to exchange for used O2 during that time, which is about 6 beats.

When I put the capsule on the 'cano, the time I wait (about 10 seconds or more) is to allow the material to heat up, so the vapor pressure of the good stuff is getting happy. Chlorophyl comes off late in the hit, so I only do one. That shit makes me hack my lungs out.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
The smoke from a joint is pretty oily, as can be seen in the build-up inside see-thru hoses on pipes. I smoke too many joints also, and feel the stickyness inside my lungs. I think vaping helps clear the stikyness a little. The hose on my hybrid whip is pretty clear still, and a nice buzz is had. What little oil/dirt that has condensed on the inside wall is light in color, and only on the first 10" of the 3' whip.

grayeyes

Have any of you used a lower heat setting on your vapes. I have mine set for 395. I don't cough until most is gone. But I do get all the flavors instead of a big mouthful of smoke.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I hit a chamber (about a gram, one joint) once, then it is done. ABV.

The trick is to get the energy in the dope just right, so when the fan turns on it blows off only good things, and your lungs are full before the bad ones start to come off. I carburete with the power hits, to cool the mix. The 3' whip helps cool the charge and condense out oils.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
@Ringodoggie on breathholding i found this but it's just the less meaningful abstract. The rest is behind a paywall. Studie

More interresting is this work from 2005 about how cannabis smoke is less cancer inducing than tobacco smoke. Cannabis and tobacco smoke are not equally carcinogenic
(if you don't want to go to this link I posted, use sci-hub.se and the d.o.i. link from any paid study to unlock it on your own.)

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
It's not down just blocked by your ISP. :D
They have mirror sites for going around that, but careful to not get on a fake virus filled fake one.

Attachments

• zacny1989.pdf
    383.6 KB · Views: 109
I have been looking for any studies that show exactly what constituents are in cannabis vapor from a dry herb vaporizer. There is plenty of data on what's in the liquid carts. Ever since all those people died and got sick from vitamin E acetate there were a billion papers published. It even got it's own name (EVALI). But, that is not what I am looking for. I am interested in the vapor from a dry herb vape like the Volcano, Pax, etc.

Here is a nice paper that outlines the various constituents in cannabis smoke and tobacco smoke... https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-63120-6

And, from that study, a chart expressing exactly what I am looking for only in vapor.... https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-63120-6/figures/3

If you have a link to information that might help, I would appreciate a link or pointer.

Thank you
In some old reads i discover that an unsaturated hydrocarbon called SQUALENE exales during vape sessions.

I dunno if u knew it

“IT DEPENDS” also what kind of device you use, the materials they are built and how they works are the key to know more, i suppose with cheaper ones can be “risky” (bcz of possible unhealthy vapour)

Would be so much interesting to know more and more about this topic