What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

what a class act!

armedoldhippy

Veteran
deion sanders, having abandoned ship at Jackson State, went to meet with the Colorado players at his new school. after telling the kids at his old school to enter the transfer portal, he repeated that at his NEW school, as in "don't want you boys. hit the road..." most newly hired coaches go in hoping they can get the kids there to stay...

armedoldhippy

Veteran
It seems like deion sanders does what he wants. 😎
he's not officially got the job yet. the school has said "we don't have the money..." after seeing what he stands for, and how he treats players, they might decide to not GET the money either. :thinking:

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Counterpoint: Colorado went 1-11 this season, 10 of their 11 losses were by 20 pts or more. They were by far the worst P5 team in the country. If you were their head coach would YOU want those players?

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Counterpoint: Colorado went 1-11 this season, 10 of their 11 losses were by 20 pts or more. They were by far the worst P5 team in the country. If you were their head coach would YOU want those players?
i would want a good look at them before i cut them loose. i'm thinking he is going to miss out on some players that aren't interested in playing for a coach like that. lots of parents are gonna be saying "nope, sorry..."

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I'll admit, he said some pretty harsh things to them. He also deliberately filmed it and posted it on social media so i dont think he was ashamed of what he said. With the season they just had, only win coming against a 4-8 team, maybe some harsh things needed to be said.
To his credit, he also said he's going to try to make them quit. He's going to work them hard and theyre going to want to quit.
Deion was a flashy, showboating player but he backed it up on the field. He also worked hard; sure he talked on sundays but he practiced mon-sat.
Who knows if deion is going to be successful in a P5 program? He could be an absolute failure, although if he wins 2 games next year that's technically an improvement. But he is making waves in recruiting, supposedly some 4 and 5 star recruits are now looking at CO because of him.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Who knows if deion is going to be successful in a P5 program?
we'll know in a couple of years. the ability to recruit is not a sure way to success. skill/success at a sport is no indication of an ability to coach a sport; frequently, the best coaches could NOT play the game at the level required to win. not all of his recruits are going to be receivers. his picks as assistants is going to be critical. will he be able to get the ones he wants at a price the university can/will pay...??? watch this space.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Jimbo fisher is an example of recruiting well doesnt necessarily equal wins. He brought in the highest ranked class ever this year yet finished with a losing record, not making a bowl game. Of course, they were all freshman so not really expected to contribute this year but he's been there a few years and had consistent top 5-6 recruiting classes, that's one of his strengths is his ability to recruit.
Sanders has hired the head coach of kent state to be his OC and the safeties coach from Alabama to be his DC. I think he's more of a CEO coach, he doesnt call any plays himself.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
he's more of a CEO coach, he doesnt call any plays himself.
that works for guys that have an established rep for knowing what they are doing, IE Bear Bryant and a few others. if it becomes obvious he is leaning on the assistants to do all the work, they'll start finding head coaching jobs of their own...

mexweed

Veteran
he's coached some smaller Texas christian schools one of which he helped found/open but never TCU, when Colorado made it to the NCAA they got shit on by the longhorns, people act like he's a guaranteed championship but I think they will still lose to TCU or the longhorns with him as coach

no player on that level has ever been a great coach, Don Shula goat coach but mediocre playing career, why aren't guys like Marino or Rice coaching, why isn't MJ coaching, Cus and Angelo never boxed, Mike Tyson will never train a heavyweight champion, I don't see Messi going on to coach a world cup team, Larry Bird is the exception

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Larry Bird is the exception
i always figured Peyton Manning would go into coaching. if i had his money though, i'd be doing what i enjoy & fuck the rest of it... Bird might as well been a coach on the floor, albeit one with a great jump-shot & passing skills.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Lenny wilkins was a 9x all star in the NBA and won a coach of the year and an NBA championship (sonics in 1979) as a coach. And of course the great bill russell was player-coach at the end of his celtics titles run. Jason kidd isnt that great but he's not terrible and if you give him the all-stars he can probably win a championship. Steve Nash too.

But yeah, generally, former great players dont make great coaches. As the saying goes: Those who can, DO. Those who can't, TEACH.

Peyton and Eli are going to coach the Pro Bowl games this season, so we'll see how they do. It's not an actual game, i think the league doesnt want injuries, so may be more of a skills competition. But Hippy is right, peyton seems content on more media stuff, shooting videos for ESPN, he and Eli do MNF commentary live in game on ESPN2. People asked him if he wanted to buy the broncos when they were up for sale earlier this year, he said sure he'd like to just that he misplaced the 5 billion dollars in his wallet that he would need haha.