What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Wearing Masks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amynamous

Believe what you will it does not change the fact the mask do not work like most folks think they do.

Most things don’t work like most folks think they do.

Shaggy, i am not clear on something. Leaving N95 out of the conversation, since cloth masks don’t protect 100%, are you suggesting that no one should wear masks, not even indoors in a cramped environment?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Whatever, put one on in high humidity and tell me what happens.
Breath on a window it will show how much moisture is in your breath.

Where does it go in a sealed environment?
If the mask is loose fitting the moisture escapes out the sides.

Is the mask supposed to be tight or gaps are ok too?
Put a pair of goggles on with your mask you will see how much moisture you put into a mask.

If the mask is saturated it will allow moisture to penetrate it.
Is that good enough?
The virus will spread right through the mask.

Why the hell would i lie about a life or death situation.

I would think this being a life of death situation most would error o the side of caution.

Some folks seem to say it is good enough for me.
Believe what you will it does not change the fact the mask do not work like most folks think they do.

If just one micro droplet escapes you could die.
But some still want to trust those that said you did not need a mask?

It is your life.
If you were all my carpenters, no one would leave the job trailer until we all had the proper PPE.

And those masks are not the proper PPE.

But alas you are not, so you are free to put you own life at risk.
But you have been warned.

LMAO, It wouldn't matter what was posted. You wont except your wrong. What you think is not why we use them. For the last time no one I know has a false sense of security using them. Most should know there not 100% safe keeping you from catching a virus. There used because the help prevent the spread 100% more than if your not using one. Even a piece of cloth is better than nothing.

Amynamous

Naw you did not.

or you dont have a clue what a proper seal is.
See osha fit testing.
if the mask is loose everything comes and goes out the side.
The experiment is void if the air comes out the side of the mask
The virus still goes in the air.

Yep all we have is ineffective measures.

I wonder how people working with viruses protect themselves.
Why do they go to such lengths if the only need a cloth mask?

Why do they wear so much stuff?
Well it is the proper PPE for the job.

Not a mask...LOL

I am very familiar with fit testing and have been on both sides of the table. I did not have a perfect seal with my cotton mask as i would with an N95, because it was a store bought cotton mask.
Just because something is not “perfect” doesn’t mean that it’s not effective.
We have a saying in surgery that you have probably heard in construction...
Perfect is the enemy of good.
Masks may not be perfect, but they’re pretty good at containing the spread of the virus.

shaggyballs

Veteran
Most things don’t work like most folks think they do.

Shaggy, i am not clear on something. Leaving N95 out of the conversation, since cloth masks don’t protect 100%, are you suggesting that no one should wear masks, not even indoors in a cramped environment?

Nope, if you feel there is a threat do your best to properly mitigate it.

If you do not have access to the proper PPE you must do all you can no matter how silly to prevent exposure.

Even a pair of panties may help a bit.
Just don't be tricked into thinking granny is protected by you wearing a mask.

Yep ,masks are better than sharp stick in the eye, and better than a pair of panties on your face.

But they are not the proper protection.

You do what you can to keep rain off your head in a rainstorm.
But unless you have the proper protection you will get wet.

That is all I am saying here.

shaggyballs

Veteran
I am very familiar with fit testing and have been on both sides of the table. I did not have a perfect seal with my cotton mask as i would with an N95, because it was a store bought cotton mask.
Just because something is not “perfect” doesn’t mean that it’s not effective.
We have a saying in surgery that you have probably heard in construction...
Perfect is the enemy of good.

insufficient is the word I would use..

When it comes to proper PPE it has to be perfect or it is totally wrong.
I think that part of the training is what has me stuck on the mask issue.

When your life is on the line, It has to work perfectly or it is not the proper PPE.
That statement can not be challenged.

Like I said panties will stop some stuff, but it is not the proper PPE.
Do what you wish with that info.

Call osha, see what they have to say is the proper PPE for an infectious disease.

I bet they agree with me on this one.
You never know give era shot.

Amynamous

Shaggy, I get what you’re saying and see no further reason to argue/discuss.
Please remember to remind me, as i am very forgetful....especially when i am high...:dance013:
And as an aside, i remember reading something a few weeks ago that OSHA has stated that it is not enforcing many of it’s workplace requirements due to covid19. IIRC, PPEs were a part of that.

shaggyballs

Veteran
Shaggy, I get what you’re saying and see no further reason to argue/discuss.
Please remember to remind me, as i am very forgetful....especially when i am high...:dance013:
And as an aside, i remember reading something a few weeks ago that OSHA has stated that it is not enforcing many of it’s workplace requirements due to covid19. IIRC, PPEs were a part of that.

I can assure you they are still mitigating all life threatening situations in the same way they always have.

shaggyballs

Veteran
LMAO, It wouldn't matter what was posted. You wont except your wrong. What you think is not why we use them. For the last time no one I know has a false sense of security using them. Most should know there not 100% safe keeping you from catching a virus. There used because the help prevent the spread 100% more than if your not using one. Even a piece of cloth is better than nothing.

I am confused here.

You say I am wrong but you seem to agree with what I said here.

I have said a piece of cloth is better than nothing several times.
I stand by my previous statement.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am confused here.

You say I am wrong but you seem to agree with what I said here.

I have said a piece of cloth is better than nothing several times.
I stand by my previous statement.

If you agree masks help why you arguing about them?. I just posted pure facts about your moisture issue and you still wont except it. I got better things to do then repeating the same stuff.. There isn't anything else to say about wearing masks. By now people will or wont use them

shaggyballs

Veteran
If you agree masks help why you arguing about them?. I just posted pure facts about your moisture issue and you still wont except it. I got better things to do then repeating the same stuff.. There isn't anything else to say about wearing masks. By now people will or wont use them

If I did the test myself, should I believe my eyes or the internet?
Which would you be inclined to believe?

shaggyballs

Veteran
The people with PHD's is who id trust to do proper testing.

Test it on your loved ones if you are so sure.
I would not but hey, if your so sure you know the fact why not try then right?

I dont think you need to be a phd to test a mask but you stick with what ya know then.

CaptainDankness

I definitely think you need more than just a mask, the shit is airborne and can get into your eyes. Some good safety glasses might do, but goggles would be better.

Of course for me I don't even bother wearing a mask I just don't go to heavily populated places. Of course now half the businesses require a mask.

Klompen

Whoa they were virus deniers???

At what point in the video did they admit that?

So you are sticking with admitted liars.

I wasn't referring to the video. When did I ever say I was? A lot of people like to use the fact that Fauci is a liar to discredit the entire idea of a pandemic. Why would Iran, Russia, the USA, China, and India all claim the pandemic is real when they have conflicts with all or at least one of the others? If the pandemic was fake, they would have a ton of incentive to make the others look bad by proving it. None of them has even made any official effort to prove it to be fake. Officially, every single one of those countries accepts that this pandemic is happening and that masks work.

EsterEssence

Veteran
I guess they like digging graves all over the world, to make people think we are having a pandemic, we have hospitals full of people, I guess they are faking. Give me a friggen break this pandemic is very real and masks slow it down, you people that don’t think it’s real need to get their head out of their asses and start doing anything you can to slow it down...

White Beard

If I did the test myself, should I believe my eyes or the internet?
Which would you be inclined to believe?

You seem to have no concept of the difference between knowledge and belief - between evidence and hearsay.

You remind me of an 11yo kid I know - insists he is smarter and knows more than adults who have raised children and worked all their lives, fed him, clothed him - and been incessantly argumentative and personally filthy. He never shuts up: talks constantly - not *TO* anyone, just talks constantly, at top volume. About how smart he is, and about ignorant crap he heard from wise-ass jerks on YouTube. Lies about *everything* - as a matter of reflex, apparently.

Insulting and insufferable little bastard. Disagreeable, demanding, self-centered, helpless. His only ‘expertise’ is in Super Mario Cart.

No relation to me, thank the gods - and sadly for him, I don’t have the job of raising him...lucky for me, though....

I wood

You seem to have no concept of the difference between knowledge and belief - between evidence and hearsay.

You remind me of an 11yo autistic kid I know - insists he is smarter and knows more than adults who have raised children and worked all their lives, fed him, clothed him - and been incessantly argumentative and personally filthy. He never shuts up: talks constantly, not *TO* anyone, just talks constantly. About how smart he is, and about ignorant crap he heard from some wise-ass jerk on YouTube.

Insulting and insufferable little bastard. Disagreeable, demanding, self-centered, helpless. His only ‘expertise’ is in Super Mario Cart.

No relation to me, thank the gods - and sadly for him, I don’t have the job of raising him...lucky for me, though....

You nailed it with that comparison.
Well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.