What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Wearing Masks

Status
Not open for further replies.

nepalnt21

FRRRRRResh!
Veteran
they fucked up, but if you guys remember, back then there were concerns that ppl would use masks incorrectly - touching their faces to adjust it and remove or put on the mask, and wearing the same mask for too long... both things found to help the virus spread into the body.

i also remember it was very problematic, health workers not being able to get ppe... partially because of hoarding, and if i remember correctly didn't our trusty busty gubment send a shit ton of ppe to china? hospital workers were making their own ppe out of trash :/

couple that with trump sitting on his hands for too long when it came to that defense manufacture act thingy...

this wasn't a secret, there was a shortage and experts were back and forth about whether we should wear masks, citing these reasons.

so yeah, stupid that they undermined ppls' confidence in masks, and yeah we werent told to make our own till, what... march? dumb

yet still, even 4 months later and shit-headed fuckboys are passing along disinfo and poopooing masks...

this whole thing just demonstrates how unprepared we were for a pandemic... imagine if it was an even worse virus

geneva_sativa

So Fauci says he had to lie about the importance of wearing masks so the hospitals wouldn't run out of them. But now people should/can wear masks made of t-shirt material or whatever, whether homemade or purchased. Why couldn't people have made their own masks from the start? How does that make sense?

the ability to reason :respect:

why is that in such short supply on icmag these days ?

shaggyballs

Veteran
I'm still calling BS he lied. Ive never seen it, I cant find any evidence he did.

Well he did lie.
Maybe never admitted why, but he still lied and put everyone at risk doing so.
He told us we did not need a mask in the start of a pandemic did he not.

Did we need on then?
More than we do now that is for sure.

Am I wrong here?
Why did we not need a mask then ....in the heat of things?
But we do now?

How does that make sense to anyone?

shaggyballs

Veteran
they fucked up, but if you guys remember, back then there were concerns that ppl would use masks incorrectly - touching their faces to adjust it and remove or put on the mask, and wearing the same mask for too long... both things found to help the virus spread into the body.

How does that change things at all?

i also remember it was very problematic, health workers not being able to get ppe... partially because of hoarding, and if i remember correctly didn't our trusty busty gubment send a shit ton of ppe to china? hospital workers were making their own ppe out of trash :/

[B]Nope more of your TV bullshit.
PPE was everywhere for the right price.
I reported warehouses full were found here in MI.
I took several case to my local hospitals they was no shortage.
They were not going without.[/B]

couple that with trump sitting on his hands for too long when it came to that defense manufacture act thingy...
Do you really think that trump is in charge of that that job?
Are you that naive?
Are there not experts in place to do that job?

this wasn't a secret, there was a shortage and experts were back and forth about whether we should wear masks, citing these reasons.

WTF kind of reasoning is that?
We put the public at risk by purposefully lying because they were too cheap to buy PPE.

so yeah, stupid that they undermined ppls' confidence in masks, and yeah we werent told to make our own till, what... march? dumbThe masks don't work like you think they do, you said so yourself, when did you change your view?

yet still, even 4 months later and shit-headed fuckboys are passing along disinfo and poopooing masks...

are you speaking of yourself here?
If so your assessment is accurate.

this whole thing just demonstrates how unprepared we were for a pandemic... imagine if it was an even worse virus

We just spent what billions of dollars on a world wide simulation.
You think we were not prepared?
You are very naive, very naive indeed/

I was prepared to stop the planes before the got here.
Those involved in a billion dollar simulation could not figure out that is the first and most important step of all.

How did I know and they did not?
Shoulda gave me the billion, we would not have this issue right now end of story.

Dont believe what the TV tells you.
Why do you think they call it programming.

:laughing:

nepalnt21

FRRRRRResh!
Veteran

shaggyballs

Veteran
mask shortages

https://www.who.int/news-room/detai...quipment-endangering-health-workers-worldwide

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices...ical-masks-and-gowns-during-covid-19-pandemic

https://www.nytimes.com/article/face-masks-coronavirus.html

Dude there were no mask shortages.
If you find my post from march or whatever I said it then.
I talked directly with nurses face to face.

Don't give a rats ass how much bs you post on this topic.
I posted links to 100,000 mask lots at the time of the shortage,
Gloves too.

I still have 8 case after giving a ton away.

If I could find them others could too.
Yep they were expensive...

But what is the life of a nurse worth.

I posted a local hospital had a home depot full of masks and gloves.

I am an eyewitness to all of the bullshit.

Believe what you want to.
I know the truth, I posted it months ago to boot.

You can believe the lies if you want,but not me.

shaggyballs

Veteran
So you still think the mask will work properly.

Dam in the face of overwhelming evidence you stand tried and true to your lies.?......

Do the test on your loved ones if you are so dam sure the mask works.
You have nothing to fear, right?.....right?
Give er a try and see what happens.

I am trained, I know the results before the test begins.
It was my job, OSHA approved training.
Lives were on the line everyday.

But you obviously know more.
Did you stay at a holiday inn express?

nepalnt21

FRRRRRResh!
Veteran
i'll take the word of health experts, doctors, and multiple government agencies, and the w.h.o. coming to the same conclusion over a pothead named shaggyballs.

...at least until shaggyballs posts the evidence to the contrary.

Amynamous

shaggyballs;8942109]Grossly incorrect??
Based on what?
You know better?
WTF kind of shit is that?
Name one fact that was inaccurate.

-Is that a trick question? If it was a fact, then it wouldn’t be inaccurate. haha
-They stated that covid19 “is a virus that was intentionally genetically modified, chimerically altered”.
-There is zero proof of that.

-They stated “From a virology perspective, a mask is not protecting anyone at all from the disease”.

-They stated “Homemade masks are dangerous...(something, something...) due to latex allergies”

-They stated that cloth masks are PPE and not clothing.

-They stated that “clothing has holes”, thus implying that the virus would travel easily through the cloth material.

-They stated ...they say about wearing a mask(sic) “it’s not about you, it’s about the people around you, is completely false”.

Tell me what you know about viral movement?
-Haha...you’d like me to answer an open ended essay question? Covid19 spreads through droplets, although there is growing evidence that it may also spread through aerosols, which is a smaller droplet. The virus can also spread through fomites. See the first link below.

What the hell are you talking about here?

I am highly trained in mask safety.
I saw no errors.

So let us here what they got wrong.

You should back up what you say with a doc. or some source.
- see below

Or you are just like all the rest here.
-probably

Dismissive without substance.

-I may not be highly trained in mask safety, but i worked as an Operating Room nurse for many years, and also worked in management and education. I, like other healthcare professionals on this thread, know a lot about masks and their limitations.

- i think the true intent of those two women became very clear at the end, when they talked of Michigan’s governor and the statewide mask mandate, and how they thought it would effect businesses. The dark haired one in particular seemed to me to have PTSD issues with wearing a face covering. I found her fear to be palpable.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7293495/

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31142-9/fulltext

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/4...s-heres-science-behind-how-face-masks-prevent
this last one^ contains experiments that show mask efficacy. More for the layperson.

shaggyballs

Veteran
i'll take the word of health experts, doctors, and multiple government agencies, and the w.h.o. coming to the same conclusion over a pothead named shaggyballs.

...at least until shaggyballs posts the evidence to the contrary.

I talked to nurses in person, I spoke with several nurses in my life.
If first hand accounts are no good cause you did not read it in your morning paper.......

You can just go ahead and believe lies.

Your mind is on lockdown.

shaggyballs

Veteran
shaggyballs;8942109]Grossly incorrect??
Based on what?
You know better?
WTF kind of shit is that?
Name one fact that was inaccurate.

-Is that a trick question? If it was a fact, then it wouldn’t be inaccurate. haha
-They stated that covid19 “is a virus that was intentionally genetically modified, chimerically altered”.
-There is zero proof of that.

-They stated “From a virology perspective, a mask is not protecting anyone at all from the disease”.

-They stated “Homemade masks are dangerous...(something, something...) due to latex allergies”

-They stated that cloth masks are PPE and not clothing.

-They stated that “clothing has holes”, thus implying that the virus would travel easily through the cloth material.

-They stated ...they say about wearing a mask(sic) “it’s not about you, it’s about the people around you, is completely false”.

Tell me what you know about viral movement?
-Haha...you’d like me to answer an open ended essay question? Covid19 spreads through droplets, although there is growing evidence that it may also spread through aerosols, which is a smaller droplet. The virus can also spread through fomites. See the first link below.

What the hell are you talking about here?

I am highly trained in mask safety.
I saw no errors.

So let us here what they got wrong.

You should back up what you say with a doc. or some source.
- see below

Or you are just like all the rest here.
-probably

Dismissive without substance.

-I may not be highly trained in mask safety, but i worked as an Operating Room nurse for many years, and also worked in management and education. I, like other healthcare professionals on this thread, know a lot about masks and their limitations.

- i think the true intent of those two women became very clear at the end, when they talked of Michigan’s governor and the statewide mask mandate, and how they thought it would effect businesses. The dark haired one in particular seemed to me to have PTSD issues with wearing a face covering. I found her fear to be palpable.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7293495/

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31142-9/fulltext

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/4...s-heres-science-behind-how-face-masks-prevent
this last one^ contains experiments that show mask efficacy. More for the layperson.

I found your argument to be mostly opinion based.

As far as the droplets go.
Load you mask with water.
Seal it well to your face.
Cough or sneeze at a mirror.
Do droplets penetrate the mask?

Why yes they do.
Is that what happens when a mask gets loaded with oisture from breath?

Yes it is.

Will the virus be spread right through the mask?
Yes it will.

Give it a try.

shaggyballs

Veteran
one news articles where whistleblowers at a single hospital describe... hoarding.

that proves that everyone had plentiful ppe to you?

wow:moon:

Dude you really need to be lead by the nose, don't ya.

If there are tons of hospitals that are closed now.
Do you think they lost their warehouse full of PPE.

Nope. I will bet there are warehouses around the country just like this.

Hospitals buy in huge amounts,
Do you really think they ran out i a month?

Ebay had the stuff too.
But you refuse to believe it.

China had a ton if you would have checked.

I did and post it here.

If that is not enough for ya,,,,,, you are totally lost in space...LOL
:laughing:.......

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Effect of Exhaled Moisture on Breathing Resistance of N95 Filtering Face piece Respirators.
This test was performed on N95 masks after 4hrs of use. Science doesn't lie.
https://academic.oup.com/annweh/article/54/6/671/151958

Moisture exhaled over 4 h from an ABMS through a breathing mannequin fitted with NIOSH-certified N95 FFR, SN95 FFR, and N95 FFR/EV, at a moderate breathing volume and mean ambient conditions of 20.40°C temperature (range, 18.10–21.50°C) and relative humidity 51.76% (range, 40.00–63.5%), did not accumulate to any significant degree within the FFR. A minor increase (3%) in inhalation and exhalation resistances occurred concurrently that would likely be imperceptible to the wearer. Exhaled moisture does not significantly impact the mechanics of breathing resistance while wearing N95 FFR, SN95 FFR, and N95 FFR/EV over 4 h at moderate breathing volume

shaggyballs

Veteran
Effect of Exhaled Moisture on Breathing Resistance of N95 Filtering Face piece Respirators.
This test was performed on N95 masks after 4hrs of use. Science doesn't lie.
https://academic.oup.com/annweh/article/54/6/671/151958

Moisture exhaled over 4 h from an ABMS through a breathing mannequin fitted with NIOSH-certified N95 FFR, SN95 FFR, and N95 FFR/EV, at a moderate breathing volume and mean ambient conditions of 20.40°C temperature (range, 18.10–21.50°C) and relative humidity 51.76% (range, 40.00–63.5%), did not accumulate to any significant degree within the FFR. A minor increase (3%) in inhalation and exhalation resistances occurred concurrently that would likely be imperceptible to the wearer. Exhaled moisture does not significantly impact the mechanics of breathing resistance while wearing N95 FFR, SN95 FFR, and N95 FFR/EV over 4 h at moderate breathing volume

Whatever, put one on in high humidity and tell me what happens.
Breath on a window it will show how much moisture is in your breath.

Where does it go in a sealed environment?
If the mask is loose fitting the moisture escapes out the sides.

Is the mask supposed to be tight or gaps are ok too?
Put a pair of goggles on with your mask you will see how much moisture you put into a mask.

If the mask is saturated it will allow moisture to penetrate it.
Is that good enough?
The virus will spread right through the mask.

Why the hell would i lie about a life or death situation.

I would think this being a life of death situation most would error o the side of caution.

Some folks seem to say it is good enough for me.
Believe what you will it does not change the fact the mask do not work like most folks think they do.

If just one micro droplet escapes you could die.
But some still want to trust those that said you did not need a mask?

It is your life.
If you were all my carpenters, no one would leave the job trailer until we all had the proper PPE.

And those masks are not the proper PPE.

But alas you are not, so you are free to put you own life at risk.
But you have been warned.

Amynamous

I found your argument to be mostly opinion based.

As far as the droplets go.
Load you mask with water.
Seal it well to your face.
Cough or sneeze at a mirror.
Do droplets penetrate the mask?

Why yes they do.
Is that what happens when a mask gets loaded with oisture from breath?

Yes it is.

Will the virus be spread right through the mask?
Yes it will.

Give it a try.

Shaggy, the sources i provided were not opinion based. The first one counters the arguments of the women in the video you posted. It speaks directly to the statements they made that were false/misleading.

I actually tried the experiment you outlined. I used the cotton mask i purchased at Target. I completely saturated it until it looked like i was wearing it in the pool. I put it on, stood in front of the mirror and coughed like i meant it. Nothing showed up in the mirror. I stood closer and tried again. Still nothing. I pressed the mask really tight against my face, coughed super hard, and still nothing on the mirror. I was surprised with that, as i expected at least a little to get through. I think coughing/sneezing into a mask with a full mouth of water is a better test of what can get through.
No one ever said that masks are 100% effective, but as i said before, distancing, hand washing and wearing a mask is all we have for defense. Testing and tracing also help a lot, but i am afraid that we are way beyond that point.

shaggyballs

Veteran
Shaggy, the sources i provided were not opinion based. The first one counters the arguments of the women in the video you posted. It speaks directly to the statements they made that were false/misleading.

I actually tried the experiment you outlined. I used the cotton mask i purchased at Target. I completely saturated it until it looked like i was wearing it in the pool. I put it on, stood in front of the mirror and coughed like i meant it. Nothing showed up in the mirror. I stood closer and tried again. Still nothing. I pressed the mask really tight against my face, coughed super hard, and still nothing on the mirror. I was surprised with that, as i expected at least a little to get through. I think coughing/sneezing into a mask with a full mouth of water is a better test of what can get through.
No one ever said that masks are 100% effective, but as i said before, distancing, hand washing and wearing a mask is all we have for defense. Testing and tracing also help a lot, but i am afraid that we are way beyond that point.

Naw you did not.

or you dont have a clue what a proper seal is.
See osha fit testing.
if the mask is loose everything comes and goes out the side.
The experiment is void if the air comes out the side of the mask
The virus still goes in the air.

Yep all we have is ineffective measures.

I wonder how people working with viruses protect themselves.
Why do they go to such lengths if the only need a cloth mask?

Why do they wear so much stuff?
Well it is the proper PPE for the job.

Not a mask...LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.