What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

water analysis

ramse

I wanted to hear your opinion on my water, I use it mainly outdoors, occasionally also indoors. Both crops are in organic soil.

pH 8.0
conductivity (µS/cm) 213
total hardness (°F) 12.8
dry residue 136
T.O.C. (mg/l) 0.6
Cl (mg/l) 0.5
SO4 (mg/l) 7.9
Ca (mg/l) 34.9
Mg (mg/l) 9.9
HCO3 (mg/l) 138.5
NO3 (mg/l) 2.31
NO2 (mg/l) <0.05
NH4 (mg/l) <0.05
PO4 (mg/l) <0.08
Si (mg/l) 2.3
Na (mg/l) 0.3
K (mg/l) 0.2
F (mg/l) 0.05
Ag (µg/l) <0.1
Al (µg/l) 18.9
As (µg/l) <0.5
B (µg/l) 342.5
Ba (µg/l) 4.0
Be (µg/l) <0.1
Cd (µg/l) <0.1
Co (µg/l) 0.2
Cr (µg/l) <0.1
Cu (µg/l) 3.3
Fe (µg/l) 5.0
Li (µg/l) 1.0
Mn (µg/l) <0.5
Hg (µg/l) <0.1
Mo (µg/l) 0.3
Ni (µg/l) <0.5
Pb (µg/l) <0.5
Rb (µg/l) <0.5
Sb (µg/l) <1.0
Se (µg/l) 0.9
Sn (µg/l) 1.1 0.2
Sr (µg/l) 93.8
Ti (µg/l) <0.5
Tl (µg/l) <0.5
V (µg/l) <0.1
Zn (µg/l) <0.3

Ca++

If it's drinking water, that's good to know. It lowers the chance of nasty surprises.
136ppm is quite low. Measures EC 0.2 (with rounding). It's on the soft side, but not by much. If this in indicative of your local topography, you might want some Ca in your outdoor grows. A soil sample might be a good idea, before even thinking about that though.
Nice Ca:Mg ratio, if not quantity. Obviously rain is softer and works outside. Many indoor feeds expect more from the tap though. Taking us back to the cal-mag if you were in hydro. Not really a soil problem though. Sodiums not ideal, especially if you did want the Mg from the water. You might be heaping in loads more though, if using epsom salts. It's not high as it is.

Overall, I don't see any glaring issues with it. pH could be lower, but it's fairly soft, so no real staying power.

I only know about water from growing green. I'm happy with what I see, but would look further if it's not a drinking water supply.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
420giveaway
20230601_101607.jpg
these are my numbers from two sources and I don't have any issues. I don't know what all the abbreviations are in your readout.
Peace farmerlion

Ca++

Look at that lake pH. I wonder if it's co2 from the life in there, and little water replenishment. Or if there is an actual acid source, such as a contaminate. This is why drinking water is a good start. Even if the analysis does look like the entire periodic table.

It's unfortunate that some plant biology topics get deep enough to drown in them, while water topics get little attention. Often with 'use ro' used as a blanket to cover the subject away

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
420giveaway
My well water at the house is off the charts high for alkaline(9+) I use it for coffee and pet water. It's clear with no after taste. Plants will stay alive but they don't thrive.

I prefer the lake water simply for the living organics. The rural water has shown some fluctuations, but with a 24 rest to evaporate out most chlorine this source is the easiest labor wise to do daily with a 65 gallon tank. I replaced the 5/8" hose with a 3/4" hose and the volume picked up a considerable amount.

Thank you all for sharing.
Peace farmerlion

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
The makeup of lake or creek water is determined by the soil it percolates and sits on. I used lake water in the past with good results during drought. When I harvested creek water in 50-gallon cans I added acid to water to lower the pH. Made a big difference. Lakes and Creeks is the best alternative to not having rain.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
My well water at the house is off the charts high for alkaline(9+) I use it for coffee and pet water. It's clear with no after taste. Plants will stay alive but they don't thrive.

I prefer the lake water simply for the living organics. The rural water has shown some fluctuations, but with a 24 rest to evaporate out most chlorine this source is the easiest labor wise to do daily with a 65 gallon tank. I replaced the 5/8" hose with a 3/4" hose and the volume picked up a considerable amount.

Thank you all for sharing.
Peace farmerlion
farmerlion Do you adjust the harvested lake water in the tanks before using it?

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
420giveaway
farmerlion Do you adjust the harvested lake water in the tanks before using it?
No brother I want all that living micro biology going straight into the rhyzosphere (root system). The more living organisms the better. If they're not feeding the plants, they're food for other organisms that are.

There is also algae and other plant matter that brings other nutrients with it. It all seems to work together. When getting water from a similar source, make sure it's not a small stagnant pond with a sharp, putrid smell.
Peace farmerlion