What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vista Basic Help :/

Hey people

So heres the deal... I am running Vista basic and it has gotten slow as shit..

I lost my original CD for windows but I still have the sticker with the serial key attached.

I have work software which I need off this PC aswell as lots of work info. I am using OpenOffice instead of word.

Can I replace the OS without losing all my info and programs etc? Can I download a copy of Vista and then just plug in the product key? Its running so sloooow.. and its not the system specs. I have had the unit for like 18 months and it has just deterioarated....

What do you guys recommend??

SumDumGuy

"easy growing type"
Veteran
Hey people

So heres the deal... I am running Vista basic and it has gotten slow as shit..

I lost my original CD for windows but I still have the sticker with the serial key attached.

I have work software which I need off this PC aswell as lots of work info. I am using OpenOffice instead of word.

Can I replace the OS without losing all my info and programs etc? Can I download a copy of Vista and then just plug in the product key? Its running so sloooow.. and its not the system specs. I have had the unit for like 18 months and it has just deterioarated....

What do you guys recommend??

Hi,
For one Vista sucks. Okay now that I have that out of the way check and see if you have Service Pack 2.

Service Pack 2 will overwrite and update most of your protected file system as well as services. Consider it a system overhaul! Also consider updating IE although it is included with SP2 - IE itself is built into the native windows core EXPLORER. This means that if IE gets fucked up your system will too! Another reason to always use a 3rd party browser to save your system from unnecessary issues.

Just select windows update from the all programs list under the start bar and check to see what updates are available. Or right click my computer and select properties from the drop down to see what service pack you are currently running.

If you are on a network - which there's no reason you should not be on one in 2010. Then just move your (Desktop, My Docs, My Videos, My Favorites folders along with their content onto another machine or drive. If you're using a different browser other then IE then consult the browsers support page to back up your favorites).

Let me know if you need help.

ONE MORE THING!
You can always UPGRADE to Windows 7 while retaining ALL YOUR DATA / APPS / and SETTINGS!

Last edited:
Thanks Bro

Must definitely do the service pack upgrade then! Highly considering getting windows 7 though. Everyone is telling me Vista is SHIT!

soulfly22583

Trust me.. I'm A Professional..
Veteran
Windows 7 is essentially Vista SE. They took a majority of the same code and reused it just cleaned up the back end and the known bugs. It is a much more stable OS out of the box than Vista was.

I personally skipped Vista altogether, I went from XP to 7 (recently too, about 3 months ago) and have been very happy with it. It took a day or so to pick up the changes but still the same idea as an OS. If you do go 7 enjoy the change, you wont be sorry