What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vintage Colombian

Rembetis

In '74 I was getting 10$ ounces or lids was the term used. Adjusting to higher prices was tough as I was poor. Cigarettes were 35 cents a pack and then went to 50 cents pretty quick. They want around 8$ a pack for Marlboro and 13$ for Camel unfiltered now.

In 1979 I finally saved up $45 and was able to find some good Colombian Gold, an ounce. It was ok but not my thing. I have to admit the California sinsemilla I got right after that was more to my liking. I now favor those old lines, so all screwed up in my timing. hehe
I miss the days of imported Sativas. We did a lot of road trips back then. Take a hit, crank the radio and take off. The music sounded so good! All in the head.
Its funny how people now talk about couch lock with the Indica stuff. I remember those old California Afghanis from around 81. It was more like a big pulsing going thru the body and you felt like you were floating. I knew a trimmer and he always had the best smoke

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes the road trip, I remember a few as well as just cruising. Wasn't indica or sativa, it was regional weed (commercial export) some surprisingly fantastic but most was average. The difference between connoisseur and commercial was some times with or without seeds. However 90% what I got that was called Colombian (lumbo) was good. Some was seedy and possibly stored improperly with a taste like a wet blanket, but it would still stone the hell out of you. Once the Colombian import got really bad is when I started really thinking about coming here and grow it myself.
IMG_20201222_065459.jpg

Beautiful mountain morning with the hot sun chasing away the nights cold. Coffee and sativa is the best start for me.

red rider

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is Linda my brother's girlfriend spring 1978. My brother whom at this time had a nice little business decided to let Linda grow some weed. He was house sitting for some rich guy who lived in California but had a house out in the boondocks near grapevine lake TX. I was 15 at the time and my brother let me stay at the house with him and the roommate, a guy named Tony. Linda was super fine and grew cannabis before in her home state of Florida. I was stone cold in love with her, my brother would often leave her waiting for him giving me lot's of hours alone with her.

In this picture we were going to transplant the Colombian seedlings we planted a few weeks before. There was a big clearing in the woods behind the house that was perfect. Linda showed me how to germinate seeds and how to transplant.

She was a nurse at a big hospital in Dallas.
Unfortunately my brother would get busted later that summer and I wouldn't see him again until 1983. Never saw Linda again but found out later on that she was married and had an affair with my brother.
I went back to that house a couple months after his arrest but the plants were gone as well as everything in the house. Apparently bro got busted and robbed. I never went back.

red rider

Last edited by a moderator:

Rembetis

Brings back fond memories Red Ryder. I had an old Triumph pre unit chopper. Raked out with too long forks. Damned tire flopped around it was so long. Used to ride it to high school. Girls loved going for rides. Put a joint in my pocket and we'd cruise out into the country side.

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
That triumph 650 springer front end and hard tail was my brothers, I never touched it. But I remember it loud as hell like straight pipes. He had an accident on it, almost killed him but he got right back into riding again. Many stories about him, he got busted a few times but never stopped smoking.
Darrel with EKO.jpg

He died about ten years ago and I still miss him. I had a lot of crazy adventures though out my life, some good some bad but we always stuck together.

red rider

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was up in the mountains outside of Paipa the other day. It's about 20 minutes from downtown paipa, went to see a friend of my daughter. Nice place with chickens and a few milk cows.
IMG_20230319_113148434_MFNR.jpg

IMG_20230319_114027201_MFNR.jpg

It was extremely sunny and at this altitude the sun beats the hell out of you. That's why I like the custom of afternoon siesta and shady hammocks.
IMG_20230319_113214293_MFNR.jpg

We just went for a short visit but totally exhausted me. Nice folks there bought some eggs and my daughter brushed the calf.
IMG_20230319_114104055_MFNR~2.jpg

I like the dog that was hanging out with us. I'm sure he belongs to one of the neighbors cause he was well fed. Nice to have a dog in the country even if it doesn't belong to you.
IMG_20230319_113120644_MFNR~2.jpg

No idea what his real name is, I just called him dog.

red rider

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Few can appreciate much less understand the amount of time, energy and consistently required to grow out this type of plant. Of course in my location a greenhouse is ideal for long flowering tropical sativa.. However for my particular tastes certain plants really shine when grown totally outdoors. It's dangerous, one big hail storm can ruin months of work.
IMG_20230322_104858554_MFNR~2.jpg

Long flower means more exposure so going full term sinsemilla can be challenging. Mold, powdery mildew and other exotic pathogens have time to set up shop so finish time (wet/ dry season) is critical.
IMG_20230322_104842659_MFNR~2.jpg

Genetics puts it all together.

red rider

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah, I basically learned the whole process from Linda. Reminds me of something else she taught me. We had a cannabis draught that summer and nobody I knew could score weed. It seemed like it lasted forever but I guess it was only a few weeks. One afternoon Linda was at the house and we were jonesing for a joint looking everywhere in my brothers house for any cannabis scrap. There was nothing, not a bit except a big bag of seeds from some exceptional Colombian. First we cleaned all the remaining shake and got a nice little pin joint that was fantastic. However soon we wanted to re-up but there was no shake left only seeds. That's when Linda said that even the seed from Colombian would get you high. I'd smoked plenty of seedy joints by then (Mexican) and knew they didn't get me high. But she crushed up a handful of seeds and pinched some onto the one hit US bong. She hit it and got a huge hit, blowing out weed smelling smoke. Then
she repacked for me and I took it, wasn't good. I coughed and the smoke was rancid but soon after I caught a buzz. Lucky we didn't have to smoke more seeds as my brother returned with a nice lid. I saw a few droughts during those years and even later into the 80s. Smoked a lot of leaves but never had to smoke seeds again.

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Even though it's legal here and my garden is pretty secure I am starting to get a little stress as the plants really start flowering. It's one thing to have a big plant in veg and another to have a few pounds of valuable flower in the back yard. The lady that lives in the house doesn't own it, she rents it from the dude I originally net growing there.
IMG_20230324_115750298_MFNR~2.jpg

But the owner has a brother that smokes and some times pops in to see the tenant. I'm just paranoid maybe but my son and I are keeping a close eye on the plants.
IMG_20230324_115730517_MFNR.jpg

I thought based on past data that the rainy season started. However in three weeks it only rained during the day three times. Last couple weeks we've been having clear sunny days with beautiful light rain all night.
IMG_20230324_115603840_MFNR.jpg

It's a crap shoot growing outside but at least I know they won't freeze. Again this is a dream cross I've been working on since 2019. I feel so far that it's what I'm looking for. It's more potent than the SMG but not like the Malawi or Haze. Work in progress.

red rider

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I liked this plant,it took about six months from seed to finish but worth the wait. I was amazed at how tough it was because we had incredibly powerful storms. But every morning I'd get up and she's still there.
phone pics 2020 2021 719.jpg

I pollen anted her with another Malawi as well as a SMG ( controlled pollenation) and made a few research seeds.
phone pics 2020 2021 724.jpg

The sister of the SMG male used to make MHZ x SMG. I have a few variates from sm and this is my favorite. Very tough variety that has an old school hit. Not as strong as the Malawi or Haze but potent in it's own right.
IMG_20230324_115730517_MFNR.jpg

MHZ x SMG in boyacá about 1,500 ft higher than zipacon.

red rider

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I liked this plant,it took about six months from seed to finish but worth the wait. I was amazed at how tough it was because we had incredibly powerful storms. But every morning I'd get up and she's still there.
View attachment 18823651
I pollen anted her with another Malawi as well as a SMG ( controlled pollenation) and made a few research seeds.
View attachment 18823652
The sister of the SMG male used to make MHZ x SMG. I have a few variates from sm and this is my favorite. Very tough variety that has an old school hit. Not as strong as the Malawi or Haze but potent in it's own right.

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is a local sativa grown last year in the same little garden I'm growing at now. Huge leafy plants with strange yet potent flower. I didn't grow this plant but dried and cured some of it.
IMG-20220922-WA0003.jpeg

I saw three different phenotypes at full flower and this was the leafiest of them. The grower is the guy that actually owns the garden has been growing this particular variety for years.
IMG-20220922-WA0001.jpeg

The hit is strong but slow,real creeper ( not to be confused with crippi). Really nice slow upload that builds to a goggly peak, nice balance with little body load. Standard 2 hr duration and low tolerance build up. I smoked all three phenotypes and the hits about the same but one less leafy phenotype seemed slightly more potent. This is yet another jewel that needs a closer look for future projects.

red rider

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is Victoria one of the varieties (psychoactive) that is registered with the Colombian government.
IMG_20230330_154000567_MFNR~3.jpg

Nice and dry but still needing a cure. It's funny how much environment changes a clone. Here in paipa the Victoria grew very resininse with more pronounced terps. In zipacon more leaf than calex.
IMG_20230330_154020019_MFNR~3.jpg

Beautiful smoke, exhilarating sativa with a very clean effect. Although not my favorite I do enjoy it with the sunrise up to mid morning. I like the taste that's like chocolate wood type that's addictive. Pretty high ceiling so if I smoke more the effect gets more intense to a point. Most high THC hybrids get me stoned to a point and smoking more only makes me sleepy. So I try to avoid these hybrids and stay more with the sativa. Which is not to say I don't like or grow indica, just don't smoke it all day.

red rider

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's a beautiful selection I did in zipacon. Tolima is the name registered with the Colombian government, hash fruit f2 phenotype that I selected from 35 females.
IMG_20230401_093342911_MFNR.jpg

This one had the best hit with that deep euphoria and body relaxing effect. Like everything I selected in the cloud forest of zipacon it's hardy and super resistant to pathogens and insects. Once cured it has an almost white appearance remanisant of white rhino.
IMG_20230401_093321003_MFNR~4.jpg

I like growing it cause it doesn't need a lot of care and always puts out a predictable high quality. I burn this one before bed because it always relaxes me. Colombian sun grown mountain Kush.

red rider

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The greenhouses in zipacon are right in what's known as a cloud forest. The valley below generates heat during the day that rises to the finca altitude where it condenses into thick fog. This occurs almost daily creating a cloud forest.
phone pics 2020 2021 1091.jpg

Then at night as the the air cools it goes down the valley meeting with warm air and more fog.
phone pics 2020 2021 1275.jpg

If you go up the valley from the the finca a few hundred feet the fog disapates and it's a totally different climate.
phone pics 2020 2021 744.jpg

I was there for about two years living in basic conditions but it was worth it.

red rider