What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Viking ship cannabis conundrum

Smoke_A_Lot

ICMag Donor
Veteran
"In 2007, some cannabis seeds were found in a small leather purse among the grave goods of two women buried for more than 11 centuries on a Viking ship. The ship was discovered in 1903 in a mound at the Oseberg Farm near Tønsberg on the west bank of the Oslofjord. The find raised new questions in the research on Viking uses of psychoactive agents as well as on the significance of the burial of the women.

After archaeological excavation in 1904-1905, the ship had been meticulously restored at the University of Oslo and in 1926 put on display in the purpose-built Viking Ship Museum on the Bygdøy peninsula nearby. Scientists studied the ship and its artifacts for decades thereafter. Slowly, the circumstances of the burial and the ship were revealed. The splendid artifacts indicated that the burial had been regal. Analyses of the remains of the women showed that they had been of different ages, the elder one most likely a queen. Comparison of the wood in the ship with that of other finds indicated that it most likely had been built around the year 820 in Rogaland on the west coast of Norway.

The two women were reburied in 1948 following a controversy on respectful treatment of human skeletons. That halted research on them until their bodies were exhumed in 2007. Research then resumed, aided by more modern techniques. The ages of the women at death were estimated to be 50 and 70 years. They were found to have eaten more meat than fish, which implies the high social rank that would have justified their burial on a ship. DNA tests to see if they were related proved inconclusive. The find of the cannabis seeds deepened the mystery of their burial. Two explanations of the new mystery suggested themselves, practical and ritual.

The practical explanation was that the Vikings needed cordage for their ships. The best cordage was made from hemp. In 2012, archeologists found that hemp had been grown from as early as 650 to 800 at Stosteli, an Iron Age farmstead in Vest-Agder County. This implied that the cannabis seeds found on the Oseberg burial ship were intended to enable the women to cultivate it upon their arrival in the next world.

But none of the ropes or textiles found on board the Oseberg ship were made from hemp. Likewise, the two women had clothing made from flax, nettle, silk, and wool, but not from hemp. This suggests that the cannabis seeds were intended for ritual use.

One or both of the women may have been a Völva (“priestess” or “seeress”), a high position in Viking society, as implied by the ship being moored to a large stone. Such ritual mooring may well have been reassuring to a Völva, who on her voyage after death wished to be tethered to this world.

Völvas are presumed to have employed psychoactive substances, as in burning cannabis seeds to induce a trance. Moreover, a metal rattle of the sort that a Völva could have used in rituals was found on the ship, fixed to a post topped by a carved animal head and covered with sinuous knotwork.

So evidence now points to purposeful ritualistic use of the cannabis seeds in rituals. Or does it? Perhaps some future researchers will clarify the conundrum of cannabis on the Oseberg ship."

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Thanks for posting this. :)

I wonder if the absence of hemp ropes and linen could be an indicator of the value of hemp at the time. Since the boat was designed for ritual and not actual work, I can see more artistic and readily available materials being used in the place of hemp.

I can't even begin to imagine how rough and amazing their lives must have been.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
420giveaway
What does this mean- "two women buried for more than 11 centuries on a Viking ship"? Like, the whole ship was buried and they were on it?

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
420giveaway
What does this mean- "two women buried for more than 11 centuries on a Viking ship"? Like, the whole ship was buried and they were on it?

Yes. The ship was hauled ashore and buried with 2 women and an assortment of grave goods. The crap about shamans and ritual etc is just conjecture. We will never know. There is a shitload of wishful thinking regarding the history of cannabis use.

Normannen

Anne enn Normal
Veteran
Yes. The ship was hauled ashore and buried with 2 women and an assortment of grave goods. The crap about shamans and ritual etc is just conjecture. We will never know. There is a shitload of wishful thinking regarding the history of cannabis use.
uh, no, Vikings would travel all the way to Jerusalem to sell slaves, furs, silver and pillaged goods, guess what they bought? Hashishishishishishishishishishishishishishishishish, clothes, exotic gold items, spices, iron and glass beads (they friggen loved that coloured glass shit)

Old Piney

I do not see the idea far fetched at all ,that they knew all about and used Cannabis both hemp and drug strains .To me it's far more likely they did than they didn't , regardless of the recent find . They traded and pillaged everywhere .

Last edited:

Nannymouse

420giveaway
From the series that i watched about the vikings, their burials were extremely ritualistic, nothing was 'chance', it all had meaning. It was an ongoing story. If i can find the series again, i'll post it. The series starts out 'just a little interesting', but by the time the guy is done with his lectures, it gets pretty wild. Lots of blood and gore goes into the very very long lasting funerals.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
tenor.gif

giphy (11).gif

Last edited:

therevverend

Veteran
The Scandinavians grew hemp not ganja. At least 2000 years ago, long before the Vikings. What's interesting is the Vikings did not use hemp for rope. They used trees.

If I remember correctly they didn't use it for their masts either but I don't have the time to look for sources. It could be the hemp was too valuable, it was used for linen, stuff like blankets, clothing, etc.

It certainly would have been the European type of ganja, cannabis sativa sativa, not the drug type. Medicinal and food but not a good buzz. Vikings and other Europeans didn't smoke, no pipes have been found until after Columbus brought back tobacco. (this is a thread of it's own-lots of arguments but nothing conclusive. A lot of articles talk about a Scythian bong but I believe it's nonsense-like I say another thread) I can't remember if Inuit smoking is mentioned by the Greenland settlers. I think it might have been but once again I have other stuff to do right now. It's worth looking up.

What ancient peoples did do was vaporize hashish and ganja. Basically hot knife it and hit the smoke although it was more complicated than that. Or simply decarboxylate and eat it. The Vikings certainly had contact with the Middle East and north Africa, areas where drug strains are grown and could have imported it. And surely they were well-aware of the medicinal properties of their own strains of cannabis. Likely be more discoveries in the future adding to our knowledge of the subject.

Latest posts

Latest posts