What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vibes in Oregon?

Dizzygetzbizzy

So I got my olcc worker permit ahead of a move a few months back which fell through. I'm out on the east coast and I do my part for my state, much of which I can do from abroad. I'm looking to leave prohibited territory while they figure there shit out here. I have been doing the damn thing a long time, but lately I'm looking at people getting popped out here and that's what kinda spurred me to move on at first. Now it just seems logical to wait it out where I can work on my lines and lobby from a safe distance. So yeah I'm looking for work / residence in Oregon. To understudy and tend to gardens, or blow out some free space. Whatever really, I can work there through the permit, and I'm not some asshat .I don't know anybody personally out there , but here and a few other places I've been trying to get in contact with the right people. Good luck in the new year :dance013:

q3corn

Good luck!

Super competitive in Oregon scene. Lots of people looking for work, not as much work as you would think, since we don't have enough people to consume everything being made here.

My advice would be to get onto a cannabis temp agency like green front and pick up work through that. Meet farmers, stand out above the rest. That's the best ticket for an out-of-towner. :good:

Dizzygetzbizzy

Thanks @g3corn, it's just something on my table. looking at that work permit I often think like damn you know, wouldn't it be nice to work in the open, or to understudy and come back when the hemp regulation dance isn't the only way to go.

In the long run it's like 6 cycles you know. Which seems like no time at all, but I'm at a point where I'm trying to make informed decisions for long term goals. Scrapping my project for now would suck, but studying or growing freely again just is always in my mind. I came up doing thousands of plants, and that feeling is just ... The best feeling. So even for another project, if it puts me in the bush I'm really into that lol. Thanks again for the insight

Mr Jay

Veteran
I would both make sure you have work before you move out here and be ready to live on minimum wage.

The cannabis industry in Oregon pays very low wages for very long hours of work, depending on what work it is you do. Growing jobs are very far and few in-between. Retail shop work means never getting close to the grows. If you can find a job trimming on site, it's your best bet at getting close to a grow. If you're just doing this for experience in the industry for a short term, think about how much you want to uproot your life just to lose money while busting ass.

I know I don't paint a pretty picture, but it is what it is out here.

q3corn

^ Good perspective right there.

Also with COVID lots of shops are running skeleton crews and some are closing. It's getting really tough here.

Mr Jay

Veteran
Thanks q3corn. I've unfortunately resigned myself to not working in the industry anymore. I've had far too many negative experiences with people cutting corners and intentionally disregarding public safety in the interest of profit. That and there's a bunch of kids waiting in line to bust ass for next to nothing just to break into the industry. I'm not getting younger and each year it gets harder to compete with their ability to work 10+ hour days. I ain't mad, go get em kids. Poor buggers will never know the joy of running your own underground grow and living comfy for a minute.

Do you live in an urban area q3? I could see shops in town struggling for business, but rural shops are cranking out the profits during this pandemic. Lots of people on lockdown or on unemployment that can afford to splurge a bit on some pandemic buds. It's good for chilling out doncha know.

That's another thing to consider though, I wouldn't want to be working a retail job during a pandemic.

Mr Jay

Veteran
I forgot to mention, the cost of living is very high in Oregon. It is NOT a low wage friendly state. Rent is very expensive, food is very expensive, and income tax will take a chunk out of your paycheck. Right now there are a record number of people out of work, and you better bet they are applying for the same jobs.

q3corn

[...] I've had far too many negative experiences with people cutting corners and intentionally disregarding public safety in the interest of profit. That and there's a bunch of kids waiting in line to bust ass for next to nothing just to break into the industry.

That's the fuckin' truth.

I worked as a budtender for 3 years. It was fun but ultimately a lot more regulation work to deal with for what actually amounted to less money than I was making as a barista. Tips aren't great since people don't always see it as a service. Customers are VERY different and each one wants you to know how to interact with them personally. Some people come in with 30 minutes worth of questions and then buy a preroll. Other people come in and just tell you how bad your store is. Every once in a while you get a "master grower" who walks in to basically quiz you on weed. People bitch about price, bitch about tax, tell you so-and-so has this cheaper... It's a nightmare.

I could rant for an hour about it... smh

Edit to answer your question: yes, I live in Portland proper. I'm glad to hear the rural shops are doing well! They really need the push. Urban shops thrive on tourism, and since nobody's visiting we just don't have the population to support all these stores.