What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

vertical areo

betterboy

Finally got this thing done. Its a 128 site vertical areo unit, up and running for 10 days now and the little girls are loving it.Since the plants got a little taller than i wanted to start with i didn't use the 2 top rails, so im running with a 96 site. lighting is 2- 1000 Watt HPS . I set up this unit and and 3 F&D tables and the plants have exploded compaired to the F&D plants, the stem size of the areo is bout twice the size of the F&D and all were the same size when first set up. this areo set up has 3 strains in it, hog, HDF, and manatuska tundra, these all seem to grow pretty much the same.

Last edited:

Bashbouli

holy shit, exactly the thing I wanted to see. Great setup man! I bet you had planned this one for some time huh? ;)

G

How is that HOG working out for ya? THseeds hog? I've heard stories its up there with LUI and that category, and saw a pic today that made me wanna fire up the colis again, lol... man I loved those things but just wasn't good enough at cloning until after I quit using them.

betterboy

HOVIC: thanks guy
Bashbouli: yea took a while to build, gotta give lothar credit for most of the areo info from his threads from OG, just did a few changes, like the idea of using 360 degrees of my lighting and making the most of my floor space, since it ownly takes up bout 18 sq. ft of floor space, there's no way i could pack in 96 little girls in sq space.
chodo:
The hog is great got it from th seeds, easy to clone, great strain, The HDF is probably my favorit though, I got a pack of seeds but all the females were skraggley, so a member of og sent me a clone of his , he went though 3 packs of seeds to find 2 good mothers though

G

Very nice setup..Did you read So Quicks thread over at OG? He had a setup very similar and got 44lbs out of it.

G

Bitchen rig BB.. looks like it took ya some time to put that together. It's out performing the flood tables? Must be working as good as it looks! :sasmokin:

betterboy

Steady Smokin:
yea, Think i read every thing lothar wrote on areo, shame its all lost, he had some great info there. not sure of his weight but that sounds kinda high
GroNut:
yea it took some time but just worked a little at a time on it, this is my first grow with this unit so im not sure how well it will perform, i did a flat grow like lothars and it did very well. I can ownly get 63 plants in my 4x4 F&D tables and this one (areo) has 96 plants but the plants are looking much better than the F&D, im sure though even if i had the same numbers in both systems that the areo would win hands down

somoz

Veteran
sweet rig betterboy!! i'm doin something similiar right now but instead of enclosing it in a circle i'm doin long 5ft sections stacked upon each other like a ladder i guess.

i know you haven't run with this yet so you can't answer too many questions pertaining to that but i was wonderin a couple things.

1st off you went with the 4inch pvc it looks like? you worried that it may be too small if you did actually use the 4"? i'm debating whether i should go with the 6" or the 4" but may just go with the 4 because it is much more readibly available.

my second ? for ya was i noticed you didn't put the hole on an angle but straight up. are you just trainin the plant to grow towards the center or is the plant doing this by its own volition because it is drawn to the light. i was thinkin of drillin the holes on a slight angle so the plant has a little help on its desired path.

final question for ya is ur waterin schedule. you doin 24/7 or you got something else going on. well it looks great man. good work and keep up the thread if ya can. i'd love to see how this baby performs. be well.

somoz

betterboy

somoz
Are ya planning on building a V grow when ya stack your pipes? Im not really sure if the 4" pvc is gonna be a problem or not but if it is , it will surly show up on this grow, the plants were 12" or so when they went in. the pipe is a S&D pipe and very cheap, its like $3.59 for a 10' section
Actually the holes are drilled at a slight angle but some ended up more vertically than i wanted, I wanted them all at 15 degrees but ya know how that goes when ya try to match everything
Im following lothars schedual on the watering, 1 min on 5 min off, however they do seem to show a little over watering effects but from what i seen with the flat areo grow that i did earler , it will soon snap out of it as the plant gets more roots
One thing Ive noticed is that the plants really gorw in areo, FAST!

somoz

Veteran
hey bb: nah, the idea is literally like a ladder, so you have 6, 5foot pipes stacked upon each other connected by T's that will be the legs on each end and 10" in between each level. then i'm gonna use the legs of the ladder as my main drain line, which is gonna be where the rez is sitting so, the system will be just slightly elevated on one side so the water drains right back into the rez.

the idea is that instead of having your walls as dead space you can use them. this room is tiny 6'x3x8 but in a larger room you could have a ladder on each wall and still have the main section of the room available for ur mother plants,dwc, a coli, etc.
so the design is like a U more than a V, with the bottom part of the U being straight. basically it is just a big square.

as far as the watering goes i've seen some pretty impressive grows with no timers and just 24/7, but i think you have to get ur pump to mister ratio dead on otherwise ur gonna over water them...

you will definately find out if the 4inch is gonna be a problem with plants that size. i'm gonna go straight from clone to flower with maybe only 3-7 days of veg...but i'm thinkin straight to flower this way i can just keep adding clones in the system and get a good monthly harvest rollin.

later
somoz

GanjaJedi

Hey awesome grow, can you post any specs, costs, and what not. I'm just trying to plan for my own so any opinions are gladly excepted.

G

Betterboy, how long veg time before the flip? I'd like to run an aero coli some day. I think I really never saw the potential out of them since my cloning skills were newbie at best. What is your average yeild per plant with the hdf and the hog? What are the flowering times on them? I've grown out some hdf, but didn't find anything I liked. I think you hit it right on the head with the select pheno from several seeds. Its definately a widely variable strain.

betterboy

somoz:
Sounds like a plan, I'll be watching!
ganja:
I got bout $300.00 In the pvc thats stand and all, nice thing bout this design is it all comes apart for cleanning or storage or what ever. the pump was like $260.00. , res, and misters and all the little items i guess bout another $200.00. So your lookin at bout $800.00 altogether. I know each section took 1 length of 4" pipe.
chodo:
I kinda screwed up, my clones rooted quicker than i thought they would so as the roots came out of the RW I put them in 5 oz. cups filled with 50/50 ver- perolite. they veged bout 2 weeks before they got put in the system.
Most all my grows have been in F&D my best being with a mix of HDF- hog - and manatuska tundra on a 4x4 table 48 clones, 43 oz's with 11 days veg. I never had enough clones in the past to go all hdf but i know if i had the weight would have been better. hog and Mt are fair producers but not as good as this hdf.

G

Whats the flowering time on the 3 of them... I heard the hdf takes like 10 weeks.

somoz

Veteran
a quick one for you betterboy that i forgot to ask. what type of misters did you use and are you usin an eco pump or something else? thanks bro.

somoz

Purgatory

betterboy,
Great Setup... How much veg time are you going to run? looks like a scrog, whats the distance from your screen to your lights?

somoz

Veteran
not tryin to crash ur thread betterboy but i haven't seen purgatory around in a minute and wanted to ask him whats up with the coli bro.....looked great last time you gave us some eye candy!! don't hold out on us.... later somoz

betterboy

somoz:
their the black sprayers from dripworks, i can get ya a # if ya need.

Purgatory:
thanks, my clones rooter much faster than planned and i didnt have the setup ready so they veged for bout 2 weeks, today they are 13 days into flower. The unit is 4' in dia. and the lamps are in center, so bout 2' from the plants and looking great. the screen is 3' dia.