What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Verdant Greens Bubba Kush S1

hamstring

Veteran
VG
First off, thanks for the advice . How many times do you get to talk to the breeder.

I will take a look at the root ball for any signs of pests. Thats always my first thought also. I examined the underside of the leaves with a USB scope and no sign of mites anyways. Thank the MJ gods for that.

You are correct the soil was dry but it seems like BKs don't like wet feet. Every time I water them they would droop for a day. I got in the habit of letting the pots get fairly dry before watering again. On the plus side the cutting I took are doing fairly well. Seeing roots on some of them.

Thank you sir for your advice and I will report back with what I find over the next few days.

Forgot to mention I'm putting them into flower in the next few days too.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ok, good. Yes its tough getting the wet/damp cycle right. Too consistently wet and you get problems with gnats etc.. too dry and the plant can't transpire and grow.
You need a soil that can still hold air when it's wet and is well drained enough to be watered properly, and then you can wait till it's damp (not dry) before you water it next.
feeling the weight of the pot (with practice) helps you judge this . easier said than done but this is what you want to work towards.
Perlite, for example, is very good at holding air in wet soil as well as general drainage.
@elanius just grew a couple of beautiful bubbas, maybe he could pop in and have a look.
The rootball also needs to be left undisturbed, so be careful moving the fabric pots around. personally i prefer rigid plastic ones but plenty of people do well with them so maybe that's just me.

hamstring

Veteran
ok, good. Yes its tough getting the wet/damp cycle right. Too consistently wet and you get problems with gnats etc.. too dry and the plant can't transpire and grow.
You need a soil that can still hold air when it's wet and is well drained enough to be watered properly, and then you can wait till it's damp (not dry) before you water it next.
feeling the weight of the pot (with practice) helps you judge this . easier said than done but this is what you want to work towards.
Perlite, for example, is very good at holding air in wet soil as well as general drainage.
@elanius just grew a couple of beautiful bubbas, maybe he could pop in and have a look.
The rootball also needs to be left undisturbed, so be careful moving the fabric pots around. personally i prefer rigid plastic ones but plenty of people do well with them so maybe that's just me.
Man really appreciate you taking the time.

I have both plastic and fabric pots but you dont get the root swirl in the fabric pot. I'm sure with practice the same can be done with a plastic pot.

Just thinking out loud here but the root ball is no where close to filling the 3 gal smart pots yet. So pulling one out to inspect the roots would be a mess and probably very hard on the plant, correct?

The veg soil has been Happy Frog with some worm casting and perlite added . They were in 1 gal plastic pots until transplanted into 3 gal fabric pots. The looked good the whole time they were in the 1 gal with happy frog.

When I go to flower I use Sohum and this is the first time I have had any problems. It sort of looks like its over fert related . Based on the really dark green leaves which are a bit shiny to. It just seams to be tied to the transplant but I dont know for sure. Sometimes you get tunnel vision.

Dude, its great to have you copiloting with me brother:tiphat:

SoHum Living Soils®​

Cannabis Craves (1.5 cu ft)​

Just add water!
Weight: 18 lbs
Dimensions: 24 x 18 x 6

INGREDIENTS: perlite, sphagnum peat moss, fertilizer (see below). In Georgia, this product contains 35-45% perlite, sphagnum peat moss, fertilizer (see below)​

0.5-0.5-0.25​

Guaranteed Analysis

Total Nitrogen (N): 0.5%​

• 0.45% Water Insoluble Nitrogen*​

• 0.05% Water Soluble Nitrogen​

Available Phosphate (P2O5): 0.5%​

Soluble Potash (K2O): 0.25%​

Calcium (Ca): 1%​

Delivered From: worm castings, alfalfa meal, crab meal, bone meal, feather meal, langbeinite, kelp meal.​

*0.45% slow-release nitrogen from worm castings, alfalfa meal, crab meal, bone meal, and feather meal.​

Also contains Non-Plant food Ingredients:​

• Bacillus subtilis….6 x 106 cells/g​

• Bacillus amyloliquefaciens…1 x 104 cells/g​

elanius

Veteran
Hey Hamstring,

I think VerdantGreen pretty much nailed it with his diagnosis. I checked all your pics and it seems to me you are not watering them enough, if you let the soil dry too much and often, it will loose the absorption abilities and the plants may look overfed and spent. Especially growing in the bags, the soil dry outs much quicker and you really dont have to worry about overwatering. Contrary to the general believe, cannabis can tolerate longer wet cycles very well. Speaking from experience growing with blumats where the pot never really dries out. Ofcourse some strains are more sensitive then others, but Bubba has big leafs and drinks water fast especially in the veg stage.

The 2nd option is overfeeding, or soil being too hot, but as you mentioned they were fine in smaller pots I am still leaning to the first one.

I would recommend first to give them proper watering with pure water PH 6,2-6,5. Water them lightly, wait 10 minutes and then thoroughly so the pot is properly soaked. Dont let the soil dry too much, in-between watering. It should be close to dry, you should detect bit of moister about 1 cm under the soil surface.

If this wont help, dont even try to look for the root cause. Just buy different soil, preferably peat based (quality peat) with adjusted PH for our beloved vegetables and dont add any more perlite. Take the Bubbas out of the pots, remove 1/3 of the soil with roots included if needed. Dont worry, they will be fine. If there are no roots yet, remove more soil. Transplant to new soil, water and they will get healthy in few days.

Btw, using these textile based bags for pots, I would recommend some kind of automatic watering system, seems to me its very hard to keep them happy otherwise. I was growing with them as well, for some time, but eventually returned to classic PE based pots and never looked back.

Good luck :tiphat:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
correct on the roots, they don't want to be disturbed.
You are probably right that the soil is a bit hot.. i would keep it well watered. ( i just saw elanius's post he seems to agree) letting them dry will just further concentrate the nutes in the soil. Hopefully they will grow into the soil and settle down.
bubba is pretty easy... just a little more tricky/fussy the the average hybrid, so fingers crossed you will be ok.
GL
VG

hamstring

Veteran
Hey Hamstring,

I think VerdantGreen pretty much nailed it with his diagnosis. I checked all your pics and it seems to me you are not watering them enough, if you let the soil dry too much and often, it will loose the absorption abilities and the plants may look overfed and spent. Especially growing in the bags, the soil dry outs much quicker and you really dont have to worry about overwatering. Contrary to the general believe, cannabis can tolerate longer wet cycles very well. Speaking from experience growing with blumats where the pot never really dries out. Ofcourse some strains are more sensitive then others, but Bubba has big leafs and drinks water fast especially in the veg stage.

The 2nd option is overfeeding, or soil being too hot, but as you mentioned they were fine in smaller pots I am still leaning to the first one.

I would recommend first to give them proper watering with pure water PH 6,2-6,5. Water them lightly, wait 10 minutes and then thoroughly so the pot is properly soaked. Dont let the soil dry too much, in-between watering. It should be close to dry, you should detect bit of moister about 1 cm under the soil surface.

If this wont help, dont even try to look for the root cause. Just buy different soil, preferably peat based (quality peat) with adjusted PH for our beloved vegetables and dont add any more perlite. Take the Bubbas out of the pots, remove 1/3 of the soil with roots included if needed. Dont worry, they will be fine. If there are no roots yet, remove more soil. Transplant to new soil, water and they will get healthy in few days.

Btw, using these textile based bags for pots, I would recommend some kind of automatic watering system, seems to me its very hard to keep them happy otherwise. I was growing with them as well, for some time, but eventually returned to classic PE based pots and never looked back.

Good luck :tiphat:
Thanks so much for the advice.

I am also a blumat user. I use them during every flower. I will be setting them up this week for the BK's. I like the plant to tell me how much water it want.

I will take your advice and give them a thorough watering.

hamstring

Veteran
correct on the roots, they don't want to be disturbed.
You are probably right that the soil is a bit hot.. i would keep it well watered. ( i just saw elanius's post he seems to agree) letting them dry will just further concentrate the nutes in the soil. Hopefully they will grow into the soil and settle down.
bubba is pretty easy... just a little more tricky/fussy the the average hybrid, so fingers crossed you will be ok.
GL
VG
Thanks VG for hanging in there with me, much appreciated.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey no problem.. but i'm no great expert on diagnosing deficiency or lockouts etc.
I think the blumats will work better with the fabric pots and keep them all moist (from what i understand of them)
the main thing i don't like about fabric or airpots is that, because they let water vapour out, you get a layer of dry soil around the outside which is hard to re-wet and useless to the plant. the blumats should sort that.
VG
EDIT - i just saw @elanius already said most of that !

Redrum92

Redrum
I started my strain search looking at Sour Bubble but ended up with VG's BK S1. Thats why I F'ed the name of the thread when I first posted it.

I have heard it both ways but don't have the experience to even comment on BK vs SB. I am the wrong guy to ask, but maybe VG can jump in.
I don't have a clue either, just saying by looks, quite a lot of overlap there

As far as dry soil, I'd highly recommend perlite on top. Makes a world of difference. Also if you don't already, I test soil wetness by lifting pots.

hamstring

Veteran
I don't have a clue either, just saying by looks, quite a lot of overlap there

As far as dry soil, I'd highly recommend perlite on top. Makes a world of difference. Also if you don't already, I test soil wetness by lifting pots.
I read your idea of the perlite on top and it sounds like a good one. I do lift the pots but to be honest I rely on the finger in the soil more. I was still feeling moisture but for sure the soil was dry around the edges and a couple of inches down.
I have since watered them and made sure the soil is damp everywhere. I will get some new pics up but two of the plants are not pretty to look at.

hamstring

Veteran
Not easy to look at but only happening to two of the four plants.

Hard to believe this was a watering problem but I am far from an expert. I am assuming that the lack of proper moisture was causing the plant to try and off load some of it leaves?

thumb_IMG_1545_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_1546_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_1548_1024.jpg

Redrum92

I read your idea of the perlite on top and it sounds like a good one. I do lift the pots but to be honest I rely on the finger in the soil more. I was still feeling moisture but for sure the soil was dry around the edges and a couple of inches down.
I have since watered them and made sure the soil is damp everywhere. I will get some new pics up but two of the plants are not pretty to look at.

Definitely good to keep doing both. The more you lift the pots, the more you'll get to know them.

Moisture doesn't always distribute perfectly so it can be hard to tell

Latest posts

Latest posts