What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Valoya RX600 Solray385 lighting system - Best in the world for Cannabis?

CDMHog

I've been reading a lot about Valoya's new RX600 Solray385 lighting system. These lighting systems put out decent amount of UVA and UVB which results in more compact plants with higher biomass, higher THC concentrations and better pest resistance. I've long been reading about the potency of high altitude plants and it's relationship to UVA/UVB. I've been waiting for a company to design a lighting system that offer's a closer match to natural sunlight, in terms of UVA and UVB. It looks like Valoya have created the best light in the world for growing Cannabis (and possibly other plants). Superior to the 315w Philips Agro.

Bona Fortuna

I've been reading a lot about Valoya's new RX600 Solray385 lighting system. These lighting systems put out decent amount of UVA and UVB which results in more compact plants with higher biomass, higher THC concentrations and better pest resistance. I've long been reading about the potency of high altitude plants and it's relationship to UVA/UVB. I've been waiting for a company to design a lighting system that offer's a closer match to natural sunlight, in terms of UVA and UVB. It looks like Valoya have created the best light in the world for growing Cannabis (and possibly other plants). Superior to the 315w Philips Agro.

Cheese and crackers!
Those look like some extremely powerful beasts.
Recommended distance from canopy, 20 inches to 12 feet! Distance from flammable object, 12 inches.
Perfect for some greenhouse magic right there.

They sure look expensive, but no information on light levels/footprint… at least that I can find.
Please let us know how they work if you end up getting this light.

CDMHog

Cheese and crackers!
Those look like some extremely powerful beasts.
Recommended distance from canopy, 20 inches to 12 feet! Distance from flammable object, 12 inches.
Perfect for some greenhouse magic right there.

They sure look expensive, but no information on light levels/footprint… at least that I can find.
Please let us know how they work if you end up getting this light.

I'm definitely interested based on what I've read. It all sounds perfectly reasonable scientifically. They look like really good lights with the inclusion of the UVA (and UVB). The CCT is around 4500k so they are nice and bright to work around. I thought I read they were about $1200US ea...could be wrong. 50,000 hrs to 70% original output. 240vac input. Good for veg through flowering. The UVA/UVB level is apparently 2% of output.

Here's a link to the data sheet for the RX-600 - 385 spectrum.

Last edited:
The black dog light has a 3% uv spectrum I think and they go up to 1500w now

PhytoMAX-4 24S​

I build my own personal, but that one looks nice as well

Rocket Soul

Blackdog have a very nice spectrum but is over priced and even after upgrading their diodes is still middling efficiency; less than 2.2ppf/w
For a similar spectrum, higher efficiency and lower price check out these:

Prices are in aussie dollars so almost half of us dollars.

The blackdog spectrum goes a bit further down into uvs but this is best to add on a separate channel; uv diodes die faster than normal diodes so will need to be replaced separately.

Ca++

I see a lighting company making claims I don't believe, but I can possibly explain their error. They give Magagnini et al. 2018 as the source. I can see he did some work in this field, at that time, but what I can see him saying, isn't what they think he said. Quite the contrary.

Rocket Soul

I see a lighting company making claims I don't believe, but I can possibly explain their error. They give Magagnini et al. 2018 as the source. I can see he did some work in this field, at that time, but what I can see him saying, isn't what they think he said. Quite the contrary.
So why not quote and explain? Right now youre not really saying anything.

Ca++

Caveat emptor
Perhaps a buyer might search longer, but it's not what I was finding. It's a closed search results page now, but I would like you to search, to see if I missed it.

Last edited:
Blackdog have a very nice spectrum but is over priced and even after upgrading their diodes is still middling efficiency; less than 2.2ppf/w
For a similar spectrum, higher efficiency and lower price check out these:

Prices are in aussie dollars so almost half of us dollars.

The blackdog spectrum goes a bit further down into uvs but this is best to add on a separate channel; uv diodes die faster than normal diodes so will need to be replaced separately.
I also think the black dog lights are ridiculously overpriced, much rather build my own. According to them they aren't chasing ppf or lumen #'s anymore. They say they designing the lights strictly on how the plants react to their spectrum. I'm in noway saying they are the best. But A lot of people out here are very pleased with them and producing some very nice bud.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
My belief regarding high altitude cannabis is the climate makes a significant difference. Low temps and low humidity. ;) While I have no input on the UV end, I vastly prefer cool/dry cannabis grown at any altitude. I've personally enjoyed the same awesome quality from my grows at altitudes from almost sea level to 10,000ft. :)

Last edited:

Azeotrope

Veteran
There really isn't any true scientific data from proper studies that indicates an increase or change in THC/CBD/Terps in cannabis when UV is added. There may be growth/structural differences that are harder to quantify but, don't spend $$ just to get UV and/or in the hopes that it will change the potency/effect/quality of your flower.

Rocket Soul

There really isn't any true scientific data from proper studies that indicates an increase or change in THC/CBD/Terps in cannabis when UV is added. There may be growth/structural differences that are harder to quantify but, don't spend $$ just to get UV and/or in the hopes that it will change the potency/effect/quality of your flower
What about real life tests? Have you tried it?

Our results was: universal agreement by all testers was that it was better and stronger. The crop generated was able to fetch 10% more.
It was around 100$ investment if i count solder iron, cable and diodes. About 8% of total electric draw.

Dont beat up on something you havent tried just cause you cant find the right papers.

Azeotrope

Veteran

Our results was: universal agreement by all testers was that it was better and stronger. The crop generated was able to fetch 10% more.
It was around 100$ investment if i count solder iron, cable and diodes. About 8% of total electric draw.

Dont beat up on something you havent tried just cause you cant find the right papers.
I'm an expert in data and analytics. I own an industrial IOT company. I'm also an engineer. Major research groups at top-tier institutions have studied this.. They deal in #DATA. these chemical constituents are measurable. In highly controlled studies the data shows that UV light does not make a difference in the production of these chemical constituents.

Azeotrope

Veteran

You mean anecdotal garbage? I don't believe in that which cannot be proven by the scientific method.

Rocket Soul

You mean anecdotal garbage? I don't believe in that which cannot be proven by the scientific method.
Cant and havent yet is not the same thing. Ive read most of the same studies, both the negatives and positives, and decided to try for myself. I sincerely encourage you to go generate your own data. This is not hard at all. Best of luck, hope it helps.

Azeotrope

Veteran
This is something that has been studied. Data is not "we feel like it was more potent". Empirical data where the actual chemical constituents are measured after a properly structured and controlled study. There is some indication in the data sets that cannabis likely uses UV for some processes but, increases in THC/Terps/CBD do not occur as a result of the addition of UV.

There is WAY too much bro science floating around. Anecdotes and bro science are worthless.

Rocket Soul

I do agree that theres too much bro science in cannabis, but also theres not enough grow science neither; most growers are not scientist, but most scientist are not growers either. The studies ive seen saying no effect are usually of a fairly limiting format, or plants not grown to term, or studying hemp; you can usually find something which is off in comparison to the actual grow of someone who grows properly.
Last meta study i read found positive effect on cannabinoides but not statistically relevant; this is science talk of do more experimentation for better numbers. Or better experiments. Not that theres nothing there, only that experiments havent been setup properly or that theres too much variability in the results. But effect is effect. And its a bit simpleminded to think that uv would only be important for cannabinoides, it has other purposes aswell.
I know anecdotes arent science; its whatever comes before science. I prefer to test myself, do my own science. There will be actual tests coming up in a few. I just dont understand how someone can be so adamant on uv when the science doesn't seem to be so. Im not going to get into a study quoting argument here, but it seems like we read the same science a bit different.