What's new

Vacuum packed freezer curing

Tangwena

Veteran
4:11 on the street all the way.
In a vase? You mean the rot the roots method? I'll take a pass on that one.

Someone mention cobbing? Amazing cure/ferment results with Original Glue and Swazi.

1st sweat (3 in total)

1st Drying (3)

The cobs crystalize. (6 months)

Smoke is awesome. Chewing is... just beautiful.

Special thanks to Tangwena for leading the charge with his Malawi Style Cob Curing thread.

Those 6 month cured slabs look awesome brother.
I had some 9 month aged A5 x Malawi yesterday got my Mojo working big time, great for parties. I have some boring family get togethers coming up, it being Christmas and all.
I know what I'm going to be chewing ha ha.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Lol. Christmas is perfect. I have a younger generation crowd here (25-30) I always hand a pound to them from "Uncle Buck". So it's always fun to watch them get excited when I motion for them to follow me to the garage smoking room.

I still have some of the cobs in storage from 2018 :) From what I can tell, curing beyond a certain point, all the compounds have converted. It's possible that they convert in turn into something more, I don't know, but storage seems to hold for years without the need for a special environment (freezing). I keep the vac packs in my bedroom closet in a shoe box. Lol.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Thank you for some more friendly replies! I'm not sure what caused offence. Maybe the misleading title 🤔. Got nobody irl to talk to about growing so bit the bullet and joined a forum....

I've tried every way of curing (that I've read about) and I love the results! except cobbing.... in no way am I claiming that this is some magical technique - I've got more than enough bud for myself and love trying out whatever I can think of. I don't feel that Mason jars are truly airtight and it begins to become musty after the 6 month mark even with bovedas.

I just happened to vac and freeze for storage immediately after drying my last harvest and it seemed to cure to a fresher smoother smoke than I'm used to.

Was wondering if anyone had any idea as to why? I'm thinking the compression has something to do with it, or thawing it out could burst the cells.

Once it's sat at 62% until I'm satisfied, i prefer the 58s for a nicer consistency.

I thought cardboard boxes with little airflow would be a disaster but was pleasantly surprised! Similar concept to the grocery bags that have been used for a long time. The humidity in my apartment is very low at around 30 on average. So I can imagine this being a big fail in the tropics.

BobChronic, I'll try out your technique next time seeing as I have some dry cool areas 👍

Time to smoke some maui!

Np. This is a great place for info. But you have to read a lot. Other forums like Rollitup always degrade into a shit show, and new members constantly get attacked by a cabal.

I like 55% for short term storage and use. 62% for longer term because 62% bud gums up the grinder completely.

Nunsacred

…..

I just happened to vac and freeze for storage immediately after drying my last harvest and it seemed to cure to a fresher smoother smoke than I'm used to.

works for me too. I dry mine in as well as possible in a shed/garage then freeze it in jars.

drying and curing is a mess of complex variables
freezing bud when it’s dry enough is a good way of dodging the risk of wrecking flavours
and yes it does seem to cure a bit somehow

of course if you have a safe indoor space to dry it without the smell annoying anyone
it’s much more feasible to fiddle about measuring it and fussing over it, turning buds etc

AllStuff420

Marijuana users frequently vacuum seal and then freeze their weed. The vacuum sealing procedure removes moisture issues, but you risk crushing your buds. When trichomes freeze, they become brittle and snap off when handled.

Three Berries

I let mine dry to 70% then put the buds in jars compressed. Once they stay at 70% I then freeze them. Come out with the same color and smell as when they went in. Last plant as 5.7 oz in a pickle jar.

One time I must not have washed out the jar and it gave the smoke a bit of a dill pickle flavor....

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I let mine dry to 70% then put the buds in jars compressed. Once they stay at 70% I then freeze them. Come out with the same color and smell as when they went in. Last plant as 5.7 oz in a pickle jar.

One time I must not have washed out the jar and it gave the smoke a bit of a dill pickle flavor....
I can never get that flavor out. So I always use new jars.

little-soldier

I don’t have a hard time believing Toomuchlobster In terms of taste/terpene preservation.
I believe bud xposure to ambiant air Degrades terpenes.
It would make sense because mason jars are opened and closed so many times. Or maybe its simply the fact that coldness preserves terpenes better. But all that doesn’t explain the curing process that he claims. It’s worth a try though.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway

Was wondering if anyone had any idea as to why? I'm thinking the compression has something to do with it, or thawing it out could burst the cells.
I can't answer your question directly, but I CAN say that I have put cured weed in the freezer in vacuum bags, and it came out better than it went in. So you may be on to something. Keep working with it, and let us know what else you discover!

Latest posts

Latest posts