What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Uva uvb solace bulbs

Be green

My question is this do uva uvb bulbs make a big difference to end product ie terpin thc tricones is it worth the effort and money

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
I've never used these myself but whenever I've seen a discussion of it the conclusions always seems to be that the health risks to the grower from exposure to UVA and UVB outweigh the potential benefit that might be achieved in the resin.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
It seems the shorter the wavelength (meaning higher energy photons) the more the plant is triggered to protect itself. At the same time, we must also protect ourselves. This idea seems to ring true from all the angles I have considered it.
If we think about our own light receptors again, red light doesn't even make us squint.
Back to the plants, using enough blue might do much of the work UV does. I mean... it certainly will, but the question is how much more damage a higher energy single photon can do, beside accumulated energy from a higher number of lower energy photons. Certainly lots of far red has nothing like the damaging qualities of using the same energy of UV.
This leads us to the concept that a plants protection mechanisms are worth triggering, which is on most peoples minds.

Lets take another popular topic onboard. Guns.
You might drop me with a 38, and certainly a 9mm can do more damage. An RPG can make a right mess. I there ever a need to shoot me with an IBM. Is it going to kill me any more effectively.

Work on how much blue we can use is topping out around 25% with any more being damaging. At that point, perhaps UV becomes nothing more than sending in an IBM after the RPG has already made soup out of me.

Some herbs have shown UV to be beneficial in flavour terms. Enhancing what we like about them.
Lots has been done with cannabis, but it's not made it past speculation. There has been no mass move towards it. Just a few note checking LEDs added to fittings for marketing reasons.

S

sallyforthDeleted member 75382

I have started using uvb again now we have proper intensity to actually make a difference. The LED UV is in the wrong range and for the THC receptors to open it needs to be in the 310-320nn range. I have 1 tube per 120cm sq. it’s 50cm from canapy and comes on for 2 hours in the middle of light hours for the last 4 weeks of flower. I’m growing the same 2 plants I have all year and this round you really notice the resin production, taste and potency. There are experiments all over using aromatic plants as well as cannabis for increased oils. There are a few dubious UV lights out there that are too much in the UVA spectrum and all they do is frazzle the plant. I’ve tried reptile lamps and they are to weak. Have a good look around there is some interesting research being done and yes it does increase potency etc.

S

sallyforthDeleted member 75382

For safety just don’t tend the plants while the UV is on. It’s only for 2 hours a day.

asher1er

Veteran
I have started using uvb again now we have proper intensity to actually make a difference. The LED UV is in the wrong range and for the THC receptors to open it needs to be in the 310-320nn range. I have 1 tube per 120cm sq. it’s 50cm from canapy and comes on for 2 hours in the middle of light hours for the last 4 weeks of flower. I’m growing the same 2 plants I have all year and this round you really notice the resin production, taste and potency. There are experiments all over using aromatic plants as well as cannabis for increased oils. There are a few dubious UV lights out there that are too much in the UVA spectrum and all they do is frazzle the plant. I’ve tried reptile lamps and they are to weak. Have a good look around there is some interesting research being done and yes it does increase potency etc.

So which bulbs are the ones you are using now?