What's new

Utility Company needs in home access to change a water meter!

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Buddy of mine ran a rather large grow in his house--but wanted to refinance to save about $1000/month. What he did was rather slick--he rented a panel truck (big U-Haul type) and stashed all the plants inside. He then converted the room to appear to be full of boxes (think hoarder)...lol. When he opened the door it appeared to be a room full of boxes--floor to ceiling, wall to wall. He told the appraiser they were his "ex-wives"...and he said they both had a good laugh--and they moved on. Reality was the boxes were a faux wall and stacked 2 deep--with his tables, lights, rez, nutes, etc. all hidden from view.

Sometimes the best place to hide something--is right in the "plain view"...as they never see it.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ran into this exact issue a couple years ago.

Water company said they needed to replace the old meter.

Water meter is inside the closet where the girls are.

Had to get some big UHaul boxes (wardrobe boxes), contractor size heavy duty garbage bags. Tore down the room, stuck the girls inside contractor bags that were inside large UHaul boxes. I had the boxes sitting about 10 ft from the closet. You could not smell anything cuz of the contractor bags.

Water guy changed the meter in less than 1 minute and was gone.

Setup the room, moved the girls back in and was good to go.

Half the girls were fully flowering. The short stint in the contractor bags did not hurt them.

Moth balls cover smell very well. They are strong and seem to confuse the mind if any other smells are around. You can crush them if you really want to overwhelm the senses (maybe outside the house). In a home area be careful that you can clean it up after so you don't have to live with the smell. Whole balls clean up easy. Also don't overdo it too much in a residence as this will seem weird.

I had a friend who put off the city in NJ for over 10 years for a new meter. He travelled all the time and just refused to call them back. When he was home they would see his van in the driveway and come knocking. He refused to answer the door. They never shut off his water but maybe he was lucky.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
wow, I've never heard of water, gas, or electric meters indoors. they were outside in every place I have ever been so they could be worked on/read/replaced at the utilities leisure instead of waiting for the homeowner to schedule a time. my water meter is up by the road, fifty feet from the house, & the electric meter is out back on the wall next to basement door. they always put the gas meters outside in case of leaks here. :yoinks: