What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Using organic nutrients in the Autopot

Artificial

Is it possible to use organic nutrients in the Autopot? I'm going to be using a coco-based medium i.e. not 100% coir as there will be other components such as worm castings, a small amount of composted pine bark, neem cake and possibly some bat guano. I was thinking of using special slow-release organic fertilizer pellets that contain comfrey, seaweed and alfalfa. These would supply nutrients during the vegetative stage and pure water would be supplied using the Autopot. When the nutrients run out in flower, I would then have to supply an inorganic mineral-based fertilizer, which will be Hesi bloom.

I was wondering whether this would work or if I should just use inorganic fertilizers all throughout? I ask since people seem to be okay with using inorganic nutrients in John Innes compost for half the grow and then organic nutrients in the other half, except this is the other way round i.e. organics nutes in flower rather than veg. I've tried asking on other boards but couldnt' get an answer! Hopefully you guys can help :)

2Lazy

Yes you can, but I wouldn't with the pellets.

Look for a liquid organic supplement, something thats been filtered to avoid blocking the airpot lines. The pellets can lead to solids in the solution and possibly blockage at the emitter or in the line. BioCanna would be a good choice for what you're looking to do.

I've never used an airpot before, but I'm be concerned it'd overwater your coco unless you cut it with a good deal of perlite.

Artificial

It's an Autopot, not an airpot. I assume that was just a typo.

What I was hoping is that the organic pellets wouldn't seep solids into pipes etc. Is there even an 'emitter' on an Autopot? Perhaps it might not work, I'm not sure yet.

Also adding perlite to your media is a bad idea. The idea that adding perlite to media to improve aeration is a good idea is a myth that started with some weed growers in the US who had no horticultural experience many years ago. Also, coco has a perfect air to water ratio anyway, and can replace perlite whilst doing the job much better. It retains water whilst remaining perfectly aerated, so adding perlite is pointless. It would just take up space. Also, unless you wear a mask perlite dust is very harmful.

Also, you're suggesting adding a standard organic nutrient to the res? Just filtering off the solution wouldn't work. It would quickly go off, producing horrible smells in the process. Also, during the decomposition process it might form insoluble matter in the res water anyway. Sorry but that just wouldn't work. I think I'll just stick with Hesi since it's part organic and performs very well, giving good flavored weed apparently.

2Lazy

It's an Autopot, not an airpot. I assume that was just a typo.

What I was hoping is that the organic pellets wouldn't seep solids into pipes etc. Is there even an 'emitter' on an Autopot? Perhaps it might not work, I'm not sure yet.

Also adding perlite to your media is a bad idea. The idea that adding perlite to media to improve aeration is a good idea is a myth that started with some weed growers in the US who had no horticultural experience many years ago. Also, coco has a perfect air to water ratio anyway, and can replace perlite whilst doing the job much better. It retains water whilst remaining perfectly aerated, so adding perlite is pointless. It would just take up space. Also, unless you wear a mask perlite dust is very harmful.

Also, you're suggesting adding a standard organic nutrient to the res? Just filtering off the solution wouldn't work. It would quickly go off, producing horrible smells in the process. Also, during the decomposition process it might form insoluble matter in the res water anyway. Sorry but that just wouldn't work. I think I'll just stick with Hesi since it's part organic and performs very well, giving good flavored weed apparently.

Okay then Mr. Expert. You keep believing that...

LOL. Perlite doesn't increase aeration... :laughing: Sure it doesn't. I suppose you know that from experience? Because my experience with the stuff is that the media requires more frequent waterings. I think most will agree with me.

Whatever though man.

Maybe I should have posted
"You should do what you want. You're clearly the expert here."