What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Using bubble bags to remove seeds?

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Has anybody made kief/hash with bubble bags with weed that has seeds in it? Specifically with dry ice, which I had much better luck with than using the bags with ice water. I have an outdoor plant that got pollinated, it's a really fast flowerer so it's almost ready to harvest, but it's chock full of seeds. I was hoping to at least make some kief out of it, but removing all those seeds by hand would be a major hassle, so I'm hoping I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone and just let the bubble bag deseed it. I'm just worried the extreme cold of the dry ice might crack the seeds and somehow let that horrible, horrible taste you get when seeds burn into the kief. Anybody have any experience or just straight up think that's a bad idea?

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I'm always worried that seed oils will make their way into concentrates, so yeah I've always separated them out first just out of caution.

Why not build one of those de-seeders? I've seen some videos on YouTube lately. They seem stupid simple to build, and only require a vacuum cleaner that you might already have.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I'm always worried that seed oils will make their way into concentrates, so yeah I've always separated them out first just out of caution.

Why not build one of those de-seeders? I've seen some videos on YouTube lately. They seem stupid simple to build, and only require a vacuum cleaner that you might already have.
Oh man these look rad and I should be able to scale it down a little.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZTsLjj4R5k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAT0KU7Qw1A
Thanks for the info hush!

Ringodoggie

Premium user
What's the matter? You don't own a record album cover? LOL

I had a harvest once that seeded and I just used a large narrow box and did it the traditional way. Worked about 85%. Just about a pound so it wasn't too big of a deal

The problem with those 'air' de-seeders is that you have to grind the pot into near dust. Unless it's bone dry, that's more hassle than de-seeding.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
What's the matter? You don't own a record album cover? LOL

I had a harvest once that seeded and I just used a large narrow box and did it the traditional way. Worked about 85%. Just about a pound so it wasn't too big of a deal

The problem with those 'air' de-seeders is that you have to grind the pot into near dust. Unless it's bone dry, that's more hassle than de-seeding.
Yeah all the examples it's very dry already for all the commercial deseeders I've seen. I guess I could resort to the boxtop method but I didn't want to have to wait that long :)

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I have never used dry ice but I have sifted many times without using dry ice and I get great returns. Why not sift without dry ice and get what you can. Then, use the dry ice on a second shake and if it fucks it up, at least you have your first sift which is clean.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Well the buds haven't dried yet, everything is fresh cut. When I did dry ice hash with trim I used like 2 week old, 1 week frozen trim that seemed to work good. I figured I was gonna do the same with this bud, let it dry a week in the air, then freeze it for a week, but I didn't plan on drying it enough where the seeds would be what I'd call "easy" to get out. At this point though I'm willing to try any recommendations. Heck might be easiest to dry it 2 weeks in the air so it's dry enough to really easily get rid of the seeds and then freeze the leftover plant matter.

Hookahhead

I saw a VICE episode about hash in Morocco. I remember one of the guys saying the seeds help with the dry sift process. The clip should be on YouTube, I’m pretty sure it was part of Hamilton’s Pharmacopeia.

I don’t have any experience with this myself though.

grayeyes

If the heads are drying then just bump them against ( I use boxtops) the cardboard. The fertile seeds will usually fall out then just tilt the boxtop and they roll to the bottom.

No hassle. Using bubblebags for seeds is not necessarily the best way to go about it.

Latest posts

Latest posts