What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Using Beer Glasses to keep Pets and Pests off your C. Seedlings

St. Phatty

One of my sort-of Christmas presents is to go buy some BIGGER beer glasses or similar shape glass things, for the 2 plants in the first picture, that have outgrown their Beer Glass.

What happens is, I go into the Veg room, and the seedlings are cut in half but not eaten. The top is laying on the ground, next to the wilted stalk.

Is it some Vindictive insects or rodents ? Is a UFO messing with me ?

Anyway this is me new indoor procedure.

I was expecting some Pedigreed seeds in the mail, but they got snatched and destroyed by the US government.

I was going to buy the beer glasses to protect them, but decided to go ahead and buy some anyway.

They cost 79 or 99 cents.

There is a bigger one at Goodwill, $4.29 for a 2 quart beer glass.

I like the conical shape, because it is stable, "heavy enough", & hard to knock over.

Does anybody know what insect it is that bites a Cannabis seedling in half but doesn't eat the top part - or the stem ?

There is something hidden in my Veg room. A starving mouse - since the only food is soil - or maybe a miniature Chupacabra, the Mexican demon.

Anyway, I had enough of whatever is chewing the stems on my seedlings, and that's why I'm buying these Conical shaped Beer Glasses.

UPDATE: Upgraded the 2 biggest seedlings to bigger Glass Vases, so that the leaves have more room.

The White Plastic sheets I put over the seedlings so that the soil keeps its moisture longer.

I lift up the plastic & check the for seedlings every morning. Usually 1 or 2 a day are breaking through the soil.

The glass ware is because I got tired of doing "morning inspection" and finding strangely de-capitated seedlings.

Attachments

• IMG_20190808_180624_9=.jpg
    IMG_20190808_180624_9=.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20190808_180601_5=.jpg
    IMG_20190808_180601_5=.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20190808_224233_0=.jpg
    IMG_20190808_224233_0=.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

numberguy

outdoors in the ground it would be a cutworm. Indoors I would look for a pillbug what some call a rollypolly, they like to hide till dark. Look in the dirt and even under the containers.

St. Phatty

outdoors in the ground it would be a cutworm. Indoors I would look for a pillbug what some call a rollypolly, they like to hide till dark. Look in the dirt and even under the containers.

He does the same thing as me, puts a glass thing over his plants.

I like pillbugs. Didn't know they were enemies of Cannabis seedlings.

Though actually the glass doesn't help if you trap the pill bug with the seedling.

I thought it was a fly, since I've seen a few of them.

This is one argument for using store-bought soil for seedlings. It's pretty sterile, no bugs.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts