What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Useing Ants for pest control . . .

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Last few years have been growing the bulk of plants outside due , in part , to soaring electricity prices.
Good exercise moveing pots in and out of sheds as well.

Thought i would have more insect problems than indoors , but quite the opposite , and it is down to the common ants which live under the slabs.

Tiny black ants around 3 mm , larger species are farming aphids eleswhere in the garden and the red ones are too agressive to mess with.

Nearing the end of season in Cornwall and hard to find any damage on the plants , have watched them thoroughly explore and strip every foreign body from catterpillars down to aphids and their eggs and those bloody awful tiny white flies that ruin peppers.

Not seeing any damage caused by the ants on canna and they dont seem to get stuck on trichomes.

Two years ago had a nasty dose of spidermites indoors in full flower and sucesfully controlled them by moving the pots onto the slabs a few times , not useing chems in late flower and anything sprayed invites budrot.

Spent a good few quid on assorted predators over the years that have never worked properly , these ants do it for free for most of the year.

Anyone else or have i been lucky in species and environment ?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I have had small black ants clear my plants from aphids a few months ago. The plants got aphids indoors and I put them outside just to get rid of them. Lo and behold, the little black ants cleaned them up.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Never heard of ants eating aphids, but I did hear and see them farming them for honeydew. Maybe you been lucky and they just wanted the aphids on a better host plant, so they moved them? Googling "ants eating aphids" doesn't return any info on this either.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Never heard of ants eating aphids, but I did hear and see them farming them for honeydew. Maybe you been lucky and they just wanted the aphids on a better host plant, so they moved them? Googling "ants eating aphids" doesn't return any info on this either.

Could be that they just abandoned the plant after the ants arrived. To be honest, I don't know what happened to them except them were gone. Sorry for misleading. ;)

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thinking about the layout of the garden they could be permanently suffering from lack of food.

Three rows of slabs then a manicured lawn , just seasonal planters so not much greenery.

Must look like a free food delivery to them hence the enthusiasm , all life and edible bits cut up and carried off back underground in an hour on a substantial plant.

Fascinating to watch them esp with a mag glass , viscious little bastards.

acespicoli

In the vegetable garden your right, I have made notice of this as well.
The only caution is slabs concrete boards flat rocks rock pile, habitat for slugs,
Wasps and ants are ideal beneficials in the garden the later more indoor friendly id imagine ;)
Great insight thanks for sharing.

>>>Best>ibes

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Have been tidying up the garden and have found little evidence of insect damage on anything this year.
Not a single wasp or ladybug seen , few small clumps of greenfly and a few catterpillar larvae but nothing obvious or damageing on anything food or floral.
This is two acres going from formal to jungle and never seen such an insect desert as this year.

Not good for songbirds , few fledgelings this year , they go around the planters eating the bigger bugs and i put out plenty of food for them , the hedgehog keeps the slugs down.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That video makes your skin crawl.
The other side of the garden has a few clumps of aphids just like this , disgusting mess deadheading dahlias when you grab one , larger and more aggressive ants
These tiny ants seem to be a species that forages rather than farms.

The one pot i tried mollasses on was invaded and it looked like they were nesting.

Valuedibee

Your experience with outdoor growing and battling pests is fascinating! It's amazing how nature has its own pest control systems sometimes, like those ants doing their thing under the slabs. I can relate to the struggle with spider mites indoors, but finding a solution like using the slabs strategically is genius. It's like turning nature's resources to our advantage.

I remember one summer when I had a similar ant situation in my garden. They were everywhere, but instead of seeing them as a nuisance, I realized they were actually helping keep the pests at bay. It's like having tiny allies in the garden!

By the way, if you ever need professional assistance with pest control, I've heard good things about https://ajverminatorpestcontrol.com/home/. Sometimes, a little extra help can make all the difference. Keep up the great work with your garden!

Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Last few years have been growing the bulk of plants outside due , in part , to soaring electricity prices.
Good exercise moveing pots in and out of sheds as well.

Thought i would have more insect problems than indoors , but quite the opposite , and it is down to the common ants which live under the slabs.

Tiny black ants around 3 mm , larger species are farming aphids eleswhere in the garden and the red ones are too agressive to mess with.

Nearing the end of season in Cornwall and hard to find any damage on the plants , have watched them thoroughly explore and strip every foreign body from catterpillars down to aphids and their eggs and those bloody awful tiny white flies that ruin peppers.

Not seeing any damage caused by the ants on canna and they dont seem to get stuck on trichomes.

Two years ago had a nasty dose of spidermites indoors in full flower and sucesfully controlled them by moving the pots onto the slabs a few times , not useing chems in late flower and anything sprayed invites budrot.

Spent a good few quid on assorted predators over the years that have never worked properly , these ants do it for free for most of the year.

Anyone else or have i been lucky in species and environment ?
Thanks for the post friend. Very interesting.

Nannymouse

From what little i understand, ants may let the aphids on a plant, but if a plant is really yummy for the ants, they'll kill the aphids. I think that if the food supply dwindles, the ants will eat the aphids, too. Maybe depends on the ant, the plant, and how much food is available.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There was a good overlap from the tent to some rare direct sunlight this morning , dragged a few out in mid flower to get some real light for a few hours.
Put them on the slabs and came back to retent them a few hours later.

Something did not look right , the ants had cut and carried off almost every white pistil on the plants , which i intended to pollinate tomorrow.

Lovelynnov

It sounds like you've found a natural pest control solution with those ants! It's great to hear that they're helping to keep your plants safe from insects like aphids and white flies. It's funny how sometimes nature provides the best solutions.

Latest posts

Latest posts