What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Useful way to bulk seed stock from a 10 pack of AK47 f2

i.love.scotch

I have a bit of a thing for AK47. The old recipe.

I have a 10 pack of regular seeds from Joey Weeds Ak47 which is an F2 from one pack of 2000s era AK47. It is unclear whether this F2 generation is from a open pollenation of that original pack or a selection.

My goal is to create some more seeds and to explore the line a bit.

What do you think is the best way to go about this?

Open pollenation of the 10 pack to get a larger seed stock to search through?

Or would it be more useful to start doing some selections right away for the F3 seeds?

As I said before I think there are a lot of gems to be found in the line and I found some nice stuff in F4 beans from old Serious stock before.

LostTribe

Premium user
I have a bit of a thing for AK47. The old recipe.

I have a 10 pack of regular seeds from Joey Weeds Ak47 which is an F2 from one pack of 2000s era AK47. It is unclear whether this F2 generation is from a open pollenation of that original pack or a selection.

My goal is to create some more seeds and to explore the line a bit.

What do you think is the best way to go about this?

Open pollenation of the 10 pack to get a larger seed stock to search through?

Or would it be more useful to start doing some selections right away for the F3 seeds?

As I said before I think there are a lot of gems to be found in the line and I found some nice stuff in F4 beans from old Serious stock before.

First question, is your pack from the recent Joey listings or from the originals? Just wanted to know and I saw a thread a few weeks back here if you search that showed a pack of the recent ak from JW grown out to perfection. It looked like the real deal as opposed to the newer serious offering. I grabbed 2 packs but wont have time to explore until the fall at the earliest.

Heres the thread
https://www.icmag.com/forum/marijua...om-seroius-compared-to-f2-ak47-from-joey-weed

As for how to best produce more seed it will depend on your end goal. Do you want to have as much variation as possible in your seed increase? Then do an open pollenation. This is the preferred method of a "Preservationist" as it is the only way to keep from loosing out on the most exquisite examples in the progeny.

If time and plant count is not limited then you could do 1 to 1 matings ala Nevil. This method will require a great deal of testing of the combined parents progeny to see which pairing fire and which don't. Being that JW is already some kind of f2 and not a P1 I would be hesitant to go this route.

Please let me know when you start as I'd love to tag along! I ran the early SS originals and Nebuchadnezzer and myself (Kayaman) were some of the first on back on OG to find the Cherry phenotypes.
Best
LT

i.love.scotch

First question, is your pack from the recent Joey listings or from the originals? Just wanted to know and I saw a thread a few weeks back here if you search that showed a pack of the recent ak from JW grown out to perfection. It looked like the real deal as opposed to the newer serious offering. I grabbed 2 packs but wont have time to explore until the fall at the earliest.

Heres the thread
https://www.icmag.com/forum/marijua...om-seroius-compared-to-f2-ak47-from-joey-weed

LT

Hey there, thank you for this. I did not see that thread! Which is odd because I usually try to keep up with everything Joey Weed, Beanho, AK47, etc. So that is great to see and those bud shots have me excited.

I just ordered these so they are from the new Joey Weed stock, which I had read was supposed to be the same as the old.

I will for sure keep you in the loop. I will also most likely be running these in the fall.

Was the Cherry your preferred pheno? I've heard good things about some of the looser sandalwood phenos as well.

Cheers

Happy Times

Hey there, thank you for this. I did not see that thread! Which is odd because I usually try to keep up with everything Joey Weed, Beanho, AK47, etc. So that is great to see and those bud shots have me excited.

I just ordered these so they are from the new Joey Weed stock, which I had read was supposed to be the same as the old.

I will for sure keep you in the loop. I will also most likely be running these in the fall.

Was the Cherry your preferred pheno? I've heard good things about some of the looser sandalwood phenos as well.

Cheers

the AK I got to try late 90’s from I think Humboldt/Blue Lake area was sandalwoody

quality herb there

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Plant them
Grow them till you can sex them
KEEP ALL PLANTS (the runty and weirdly growing ones do not like 'your' environment, AND you are not doing a 'culling' run)
Flower the males and collect/dry the pollen daily. I use oven dried rice as a dessicant and it works very well.
Keep the pollens separated if possible.
Clone the females
Flower the mother plants when the clones root
MIX some of each male pollen together
Pollinate the females
Keep flowering for 5 weeks to fully form the seeds
Dry, cure and test the flowers
Collect seeds from each plant, keeping them sorted by origin plant
Re-flower the plants you want as keepers, pollinate as you like

The mix of seeds from all the plants will be your "open pollination" seed store.

LostTribe

Premium user
I really liked the sandlewood as well. Back then they were all very potent with great taste. I wish you well!

Reactions: Gry

swampthing

my favorite AK was a fruity rotten/puke spice. HUGE nugs. Haven’t seen that girl in years. Always wondered how Joeys current stock stacks up.
Keep us posted!

Stonerbudz

You could do that if you want but always gotta be careful if you don’t want any of the others to get pollinated than of course out them away but also it’s better to collect and than brush on the plants than open air cuz there’s chance of it only getting few little spots compare to the brush

Stonerbudz

So I would of course plant them all pick best male and female and breed those and than so on or get female and you can self it and than have a male and breed the Self pollinated seeds that you turned yourself and keep it going untill it’s stable and how you want it

Wuachuma

Open Pollination is really a misnomer.

People think OP means to let all the plants flower in the same room and just let airflow do all the breeding.
If you do it that way, you will end up losing some of the genetics as only the dominant males will pollinate most of the females. Usually the earlier flowering males will fill up all the pollination sites early, so that any late flowering male doesnt get to make any seeds.

The correct way to do this is labor intensive.
There's a couple ways to do it right.
For academics, lets say plants 1-5 are female and 6-10 are male
1st: You can clone all the plants. Then first round of flowering is #6 to 1-5. Then another flowering run where #7 mates #1-5. Then #8 mates to #1-5... and so on. This is the sultan method.
2nd: You can take clones of all plants. Flower the males and collect pollen from each male, label, and segregate the pollen. Then, when flowering the females, each branch gets a different male. So plant #1 has a branch pollinated by #6, an other branch pollinated by #7, a separate branch pollinated by #8... so on and so on.

Last year I did the 2nd method with all my plants I germinated as I lost everything earlier in the year to a fire. So i painstakingly hand bred everything to everything.

Good luck - Im excited to see how this turns out as that is a great line and if done correctly this can be an asset to your headstash and to the community

LostTribe

Premium user
Open Pollination is really a misnomer.

People think OP means to let all the plants flower in the same room and just let airflow do all the breeding.
The assumption you are making depends on who you are referring to.

With all honesty the easiest and most reliable way to go about it would be to remove the males before they shed pollen and wait for all of them to drop at the same time(collections can be done just in case) and then re introduce all of them at one time and even brush each male to each female. It can be done quite easily.