What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Useful companion plantings

goingrey

I have seen many people here do it so it has to make sense.

But what is the correct timing? Alfalfa fixes nitrogen from the air to its roots then it's released to the soil when the plant is cut, if I have understood correctly. So maybe for flowering to not have too much N in the soil is some planning needed?

Birmaan

But what is the correct timing?
That would also wonder me, when I read so it would probably be best to sow directly after or during the harvest...?

Maybe I test it in one of two boxes, I'm already back in the Vegi phase.

I use white clover as living mulch because it can be inoculated with the same mykorhiza as cannabis. If all works best u can plant direct in soil that is already colonised by mykorhiza. They will fix also nitrogen.
Ok thanks great, how and when do you put the clover ? Do you cut it or does it regulate itself over time?

chilliwilli

Waterboy
That would also wonder me, when I read so it would probably be best to sow directly after or during the harvest...?

Maybe I test it in one of two boxes, I'm already back in the Vegi phase.

Ok thanks great, how and when do you put the clover ? Do you cut it or does it regulate itself over time
Last time i planted the seeds together with the cannabis plants. I scrog so i need enough time for the clover to develop before the screen is covered.
This pot is now suffering a little because since harvest it only got daylight and 24h light from an led bulb. But this time i will plant big plants direct in it and watch how the living mulch will develope.
Edit: and was cut after harvest.

20230425_080347~2.jpg

I tried red clover, mixed clover and alfalfa but they grow taller and need a trim every now and then. With white clover i only cut what is hanging from the sides. And white clover had the best development so far, the others didn't grow well when the screen was covered.

Some people here also mentioned camomille and yarrow as companinon planting to increase terp production. But they will suffer more from the low light enviromente below the screen, maybe i try to install a cheap led line and see if that would work.

Birmaan

Ok thank you very much, looks very interesting. I would also have the opportunity to try two different things since I use two smaller 14l boxes on 60x60. But maybe its a little bit too late.

20230425_093215.jpg

Yes that because of the missing light went me also already by the head, I would have for it still at least, Two sanlight flex 10 , which could be used well as interlight. Or some E bulbs

Today comes times the Alfalfa seed..white clover I have unfortunately not just ordered, is possibly still today reordered.

I would have cut the alfalfa anyway and mixed under the earth, so at least I have imagined that.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
I think the extra lights should help when the ladys grow big. You could try planting living mulch now or later anyway, when nothing grows the seeds will be a little nutrient boost so nothing really bad could happen.

I forgot to mention that clover needs to be inoculated with the n fixing bacteria to do the nitrogen fixing. I'm not sure if these bacteria are present in my pots since i don't see the root nodules.
20230425_102336~2.jpg

You could buy that bacteria as solution but i will first try to gather some root nodules from outside, mash them in a mixer and water with it.

Birmaan

So there should be some different Rhizobia strains in the soil after all. Let's see if the right one is there.
20230425_111508.jpg

20230425_111515.jpg

The Alfalfa will be put on today times in a box, I will report ^^.

JK-AKKtions

So there should be some different Rhizobia strains in the soil after all. Let's see if the right one is there.
View attachment 18835071
View attachment 18835072

The Alfalfa will be put on today times in a box, I will report ^^.
Jo Jo :cool:
If im right, the bacteria at leguminosen are called in german "Knöllchenbakterien" translated it would be nodule bacteria. i Don`t now if its called like this in englisch. :smoker:

(otherwise Google nodule bacteria and see if you have the strain(s) on the packaging)
(sonst Google mal nach Knöllchenbakterien und schau ob du den/die Stämme auch auf der Verpackung hast)
:cool:
:smoker:

chilliwilli

Waterboy
The one for clover should be rhizobium leguminosarum trifolii.
The mykorrhiza soluble and the other doesn't contain it sadly.
rhizofix rf-45 should be the right one but 500ml for ~60 euro without shipping for everyday people to buy is too expensive for me to try and that 500ml should be enough for 1ha. So i will try to get some wild rhizobium.
The only pre inoculated seeds i found were alfalfa.

Birmaan

Hey Dude

Ok interesting have now also googled again... The found in a hurry, is of course not what is in there ^^

Screenshot_20230425_121334_Opera.jpg

One bottle 50.-...so a little bit expensive..^^

Evt. I write the one manufacturer here from the CH of the Mykos.

Birmaan

rhizofix rf-45 should be the right one but 500ml for ~60 euro without shipping for everyday people to buy is too expensive for me to try and that 500ml should be enough for 1ha. So i will try to get some wild rhizobium.
Nice ^^ i found the same i think

Slebban

Not about alfaalfa but I find basil quite useful as an indicator of moisture levels in the soil.
The basil seems slightly more sensitive to drought than the cannabis plant. So when the basil droops it's a good time to water the container.

Attachments

• potent basil.png
    potent basil.png
    840 KB · Views: 43

Birmaan

Very exciting, but for me personally not necessary since I have a wick irrigation, I only have to fill the tank with water.

These nodule bacteria now make me a little crazy, does not really make sense without them? Will probably also go for a walk and collect some wild clover.

Where did you find the alfalfa seeds where are already inoculated?

JK-AKKtions

Okay Holy Bul**it 50,- are they crazy or the 130kg pack :ROFLMAO: it`s not for the "Homegrower" =P
rhizofix rf-45 should be the right one but 500ml for ~60 euro without shipping for everyday people to buy is too expensive for me to try and that 500ml should be enough for 1ha
. So i will try to get some wild rhizobium.
If your experiment is successful, tell us about it.:smoker:
Now i think about some other leguminosen, after all my beans and peas always have the lumps from the bound Stickstoff.:unsure:
Will probably also go for a walk and collect some wild clover.

Where did you find the alfalfa seeds where are already inoculated?
If you like me, have no fear from bugs and vermin. it would be the easiest way.:cool::ROFLMAO:

chilliwilli

Waterboy
I find basil quite useful as an indicator of moisture levels in the soil.
The basil seems slightly more sensitive to drought than the cannabis plant. So when the basil droops it's a good time to water the container.
Nice thx. I read about pine cone as moisture indicator. When they are burried about 1 inch they open up when the soil is dry.

Birmaan

Nice Inputs Dudes :biggrin: :good:

I will definitely go for a walk soon, when my toe is really fit again. But I will probably plant the collected clover directly in the boxes. Seems easier to me.

The alfalfa seed will probably have to wait accordingly... unless I find a cheaper inoculation method.

I stay on it

Latest posts

Latest posts