What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Use of plant waste

Hello community!

I wanted to know what you did with the plant in its entirety, apart from using the flower.
What do you do with the stems, leaves, roots?
In an independent project, what do you do?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I just made bubble hash from trim leaves.

Roots can be used to make topical creams. Stems are pretty useless AFAIK.

Dime

I use stalks as a stake for the next grow. The big stalks I have made a walking stick since they are so light. People have used leaves as a poultice,heat,Henry ford used to use hemp to upholster his cars and it's coming back in Europe for that purpose,livestock bedding,lots of uses for different people's needs.

Ca++

I always wanted to make a pipe from a trunk, but somehow never have. I have not seen one either.

With no desire to make rope or textiles, a lot of my twigs get burnt for fuel. It's exceedingly good for burning, and can make some serious heat. Though it doesn't last long.

A well prepped fire bin can take 6 10L coco rootballs, and vanish them so quickly, you are spending most of your time clearing ash out to keep it breathing. You can burn off masses, with the little chimney putting out a blue flame, that would make a refinery give you the nod.

Leaves end up somewhere being processed, which is better than my blender making soup for the toilet.

Azeotrope

Veteran
Thought should be given that you do not want to transfer any pathogens to the next project through the reuse of the waste.

Something often overlooked.
What? I have been adding it back to my mulch to feed the worms in the no till beds while plants are growing and to the worm to feed future grows. I dry the stems, put them through a grinder until powdered and then add it back as a dry amendment. Roots are left in the bed to decompose and to be processed by the worms and biome.

Although I have never had a pathogen or an insect that was not beneficial.

Captainjay

I’ve looked at those harbor freight stem chippers and thought it would make great mulch.
Some YouTubes are out there soaking the stems in drums to make hemp fibers. Definitely can sell bales to hemp product manufacturers.

royson

Hello community!

I wanted to know what you did with the plant in its entirety, apart from using the flower.
What do you do with the stems, leaves, roots?
In an independent project, what do you do?
My stems go into the oil bucket and are crushed up to release any goodness inside them and any trichomes left on them after trimming

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Friend of mine had an enormous amount of plant matter after running it through the ice water. So he dumps it all in the landscaping around the house. Goll-eeeee did that stink once July hit 😂