What's new

ULTIMATE SURVIVALIST - Fixing a Garage Door if you Can't hire a "Garage Door Guy"

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I don't see this as a door problem. I see it as an old stoner having to deal with reduced capacity. The "smarter not harder" tec of hiring a guy who knows what he is doing, that is a killer idea. The silver coin tip will probably bring him back, if needed.

It is getting hard to hire help these daze.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Yeah, right! Really good deal for both of you! Now you can get even more stuff in that garage! :D

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
A man will accumuate as much crap as he as a place to store it. I have a bad habit of building more space to store my crap, when the space I have is full.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
A man will accumuate as much crap as he as a place to store it. I have a bad habit of building more space to store my crap, when the space I have is full.

hard to toss shit out, isn't it? wife has filled attic & laundry room to point of uselessness. i clean my "shed" out every few weeks just so i can find stuff. ditto carport closet. LOTS of room in attic at moment, because wife has begun decorating for Christmas. of course, that means laundry room worse than normal. gotta put those boxes the Christmas stuff was in someplace until after New Years Eve...🙄

Three Berries

I'd just like to say....

Last year about this time I was having problems with the single garage door sealing. Always have but it got really bad. So as I was trying to adjust my way out of it i realized the whole header and the post on the right side were termiteed away. Stripped it all down and was able to save the outside 2x12 header, the inside one was gone on one end as were the 2x4s they were attached to.

I pried out the old piece of header. Leaving the outside header in place allowed me to keep the siding as it was (just painted the house the year before). The sistered in some pre engineered laminated header that was perfect height and width to fill it all in. Then rebuilt the wall and rim joist.

Went on to further insulate the 1" Styrofoam insulation that was on it. Using the reflective bubble wrap then covered that with the 1/4 foam/reflective garage door insulation. But the final issue was the floor was not level. There was a little over an 1 inch difference between ends. So I ground out about 8" a 1/2 deep on one end, got the door to sit level and on the other end using some glued down plastic shims.

It was a lot of work for a old guy but well worth it. The garage is much warmer now. And it faces west where we get some hellacious winter winds from. The leakage in has been almost stopped.

Now I need to replaced 20 feet of the north, outside wall from sill to top plate. The plan is to sister a new wall that rest on the exposed half block of foundation. The only good thing is the sill plate is redwood.

Latest posts

Latest posts