What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

UK Living Soils?

DanTheReggaeFan

Does anybody have any recommendations for a good living soil in the UK that won't break the bank? I've been looking at livingsoilsfertiliser.com to make my own but I'm pretty new to organics so probably not the best judge. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

nono_fr

Hello,

You can product worm compost in your kitchen .With worm compost, you can add micro organism in your soil, either direct by adding in soil mix, or making Compost Tea Areated .

There is no smell in the kitchen ! . I give them coffee grounds and banana skins to have a good NPK !

some pics:
Click image for larger version  Name:	998_DSCF0017.JPG Views:	0 Size:	78.6 KB ID:	18121000

🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍
Click image for larger version  Name:	998_DSCF0018.JPG Views:	0 Size:	84.1 KB ID:	18121002

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:
Click image for larger version  Name:	998_DSCF0021.JPG Views:	0 Size:	134.7 KB ID:	18121003

++

Attachments

• 998_DSCF0018.JPG
    998_DSCF0018.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 63

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here is an easy organic soil mix made mostly with 2 different organic composts that you ca get from a garden centre or amazon.. same with all the ingredients. Gypsum is sold in boxes at garden centres and called 'clay breaker'
4 parts Jacks magic compost (peat based)
4 parts New horizon all plant compost (peat free with a fibrous texture)
1 part perlite (make sure it is plain perlite, one of the brands adds ferts to it)
1 part westland topsoil (adds a bit of weight to it and i like a bit of proper 'mineral' soil)
1 part sieved garden compost
1 part biobizz worm castings (you could probably use 1.5-2 parts of this if you don't have garden compost)

and recently i have been adding gypsum at 4g per litre of mix (gypsum is called 'clay breaker' at garden centres that sell the boxes)
and dolomite lime powder (not just plain lime) at 2g per litre of mix

Check out my recent grows they are all done in this mix.

VG

troutman

Seed Whore
If you can also get some myco product with good bacteria in it.
I use Great White from Plant Success.

Petrochemical

I'm over in Vermont in New England so I'm not going to sit here and assume that I know what you have access to in the UK however I will say this if you have older Hardwoods I know you guys got lots of open over there if you have a odour Hardwoods that you can utilize a lot of what you need can be sourced from your area you just have to do diligent research to find out what's up what's accessible and what's not I don't know but if I can encourage you to be frugal and not run to a store and let them rip you off if you can sort of sit from say having a compost bin in your kitchen with some red wigglers better just eating you know don't put Darion there don't put citrus in there don't put me in there and aside from that you can utilize that in your own and you know what's going into it because you yourself are making it that's the key word vile accumulators make sure that what you use to feed the plant Source from a person that does it right that's not inadvertently poisoning you in the flowers once you use your medicine because it's bio accumulated into the flower set I'm only here to help people I'm sure I'm Nails on a chalkboard too greedy pretentious douche bags I just want to see you succeed and if they can do it at a cheap way but still get you bye I prefer it

DanTheReggaeFan

Hello,

You can product worm compost in your kitchen .With worm compost, you can add micro organism in your soil, either direct by adding in soil mix, or making Compost Tea Areated .

There is no smell in the kitchen ! . I give them coffee grounds and banana skins to have a good NPK !

some pics:

🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

++

I do want to make my own vermicompost eventually but I'm gonna be building a stealth cab soon so that's what all my spare money is going towards at the moment.

DanTheReggaeFan

Here is an easy organic soil mix made mostly with 2 different organic composts that you ca get from a garden centre or amazon.. same with all the ingredients. Gypsum is sold in boxes at garden centres and called 'clay breaker'
4 parts Jacks magic compost (peat based)
4 parts New horizon all plant compost (peat free with a fibrous texture)
1 part perlite (make sure it is plain perlite, one of the brands adds ferts to it)
1 part westland topsoil (adds a bit of weight to it and i like a bit of proper 'mineral' soil)
1 part sieved garden compost
1 part biobizz worm castings (you could probably use 1.5-2 parts of this if you don't have garden compost)

and recently i have been adding gypsum at 4g per litre of mix (gypsum is called 'clay breaker' at garden centres that sell the boxes)
and dolomite lime powder (not just plain lime) at 2g per litre of mix

Check out my recent grows they are all done in this mix.

VG

Thanks for the recipe. Your plants look really healthy. How long would this store for? I'm only going to be doing probably 6 flowering and some vegging in a stealth cab I'm going to be building so if I bought a bag of each of those I'd have a lot left over. Also, would this take them all the way to the end of flower? Ideally I'd like water only but I wouldn't mind top dressing once or twice throughout. I just don't want to be mixing up bottles everyday like I was when I grew coco.

Shameless plug to my cab thread I'm trying to get advice on if anyone can help.

https://www.icmag.com/forum/marijuan...lth-cab-advice

Oh and I also have a random tub of Bio-char I got for free a while ago. How would that do in the mix? TBH I'm just trying to find a use for it because I don't like wasting things.

Last edited:

DanTheReggaeFan

I'm over in Vermont in New England so I'm not going to sit here and assume that I know what you have access to in the UK however I will say this if you have older Hardwoods I know you guys got lots of open over there if you have a odour Hardwoods that you can utilize a lot of what you need can be sourced from your area you just have to do diligent research to find out what's up what's accessible and what's not I don't know but if I can encourage you to be frugal and not run to a store and let them rip you off if you can sort of sit from say having a compost bin in your kitchen with some red wigglers better just eating you know don't put Darion there don't put citrus in there don't put me in there and aside from that you can utilize that in your own and you know what's going into it because you yourself are making it that's the key word vile accumulators make sure that what you use to feed the plant Source from a person that does it right that's not inadvertently poisoning you in the flowers once you use your medicine because it's bio accumulated into the flower set I'm only here to help people I'm sure I'm Nails on a chalkboard too greedy pretentious douche bags I just want to see you succeed and if they can do it at a cheap way but still get you bye I prefer it

Funny enough I was actually contemplating getting some soil from a place called Ashdown forest that's about an hours drive away from me. I was just worried about bringing in any pests from outside. Also I'd have to do some research into the actual soil quality, all I know so far is it's a good place to do some mushrooms lol 😁

Petrochemical

If memory serves I think a lot of times here locally when they want to sterilize their soil they take a large batch and heat it up to two hundred plus Fahrenheit or something like that and it kills everything I might be wrong on my numbers there but I do know that they do it in large batches I'll have to look into that I thought I just want to see you succeed and not necessarily have to use bottle products if it's possible I think that there's a lot to be gained from sourcing from nature if it's still possible without contaminating anyting

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the recipe. Your plants look really healthy. How long would this store for? I'm only going to be doing probably 6 flowering and some vegging in a stealth cab I'm going to be building so if I bought a bag of each of those I'd have a lot left over. Also, would this take them all the way to the end of flower? Ideally I'd like water only but I wouldn't mind top dressing once or twice throughout. I just don't want to be mixing up bottles everyday like I was when I grew coco.

Shameless plug to my cab thread I'm trying to get advice on if anyone can help.

https://www.icmag.com/forum/marijuan...lth-cab-advice

Oh and I also have a random tub of Bio-char I got for free a while ago. How would that do in the mix? TBH I'm just trying to find a use for it because I don't like wasting things.
Hi, it would store far a good while, in larger pots would probably take you all the way through flower but in smaller pots a topdress of something High P (i use P - Guano) and some EWC after they finish stretch may help. Biochar is very alkaline and probably better used in recycled soil.. but try at 2% or something if you want to give it a go.
VG

DanTheReggaeFan

If memory serves I think a lot of times here locally when they want to sterilize their soil they take a large batch and heat it up to two hundred plus Fahrenheit or something like that and it kills everything I might be wrong on my numbers there but I do know that they do it in large batches I'll have to look into that I thought I just want to see you succeed and not necessarily have to use bottle products if it's possible I think that there's a lot to be gained from sourcing from nature if it's still possible without contaminating anyting
Thanks I want to get off the bottles too

DanTheReggaeFan

Hi, it would store far a good while, in larger pots would probably take you all the way through flower but in smaller pots a topdress of something High P (i use P - Guano) and some EWC after they finish stretch may help. Biochar is very alkaline and probably better used in recycled soil.. but try at 2% or something if you want to give it a go.
VG
That's good to know thanks. That's the kind of soil I was looking for. Something I could just top dress once or twice throughout. I might try the biochar in 1 pot or something just to see.

What kind of water do you use on that mix? RO or tap? If RO, what do you think about dechlorinated tap water because I don't have access to RO.

Oh and would this mix need to cook beforehand? Sorry for the million questions you've been a big help.

Last edited:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi, no cooking required, use rainwater if you can.. tapwater may be ok if it is not too mineralized / hard (you can find out fairly easily) but let it sit overnight to let chlorine evaporate. RO i have no experience of but i guess similar to rainwater.

bye12

I might be late to the party.
I'm also looking to change to indoor living soil, so looked all over the web to find some good online alternatives here in Europe.

indoororganics.co.uk
almicanna.com
ecothrive.co.uk

If any one have any other suggestions please let me know.

Peace

Bio boy

I might be late to the party.
I'm also looking to change to indoor living soil, so looked all over the web to find some good online alternatives here in Europe.

indoororganics.co.uk
almicanna.com
ecothrive.co.uk

If any one have any other suggestions please let me know.

Peace
@VerdantGreen gona remake my soil but use Dalefoot compost it’s soil association approved
that new horizon stuff killed my peas in a herbicide test got 8bags bused in front garden someone will take in spring lol

bloody soil is killing me atm lol lost like 1000 litres living soil and crying haha

will have somthing a mix of
Dalefoot tomato has 2 years food1/3
willys worm cast and
eBay’s dads farm biochar +ewc1/3
lavarock for air 1/3
rockdust n crab shell topped

haven’t worked the rest out yet haha but don’t know if anything need any ingredients like subs and coots with this ?
Don’t think il need lime as both are ph 6.5 and Dalefoot is sheeps wool compost it’s fluffy and ca rich anyway