What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

UFC fighter says weed 'probably keeps me from beating my three kids'

RetroGrow

Veteran
This story was in the N.Y. Post. It's common knowledge that many UFC fighters use cannabis. This fighter is pretty outspoken about it, and he does not live in a med state. Wouldn't be surprised if the feds came knocking down his door.
http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/the_m...ly_keeps_a8J4ToU9A2bAtUiAI83YtJ#axzz2KKzh4vL1

Matt Riddle is pretty high on the usage of marijuana.

The UFC fighter joked in an internet radio interview this week that weed “probably keeps me from beating my three kids.” Riddle further ridiculed the state athletic commission rule that treats pot like a performance-enhancing drug. The welterweight was suspended in October for 90 days for testing positive for marijuana metabolites.

“I've been smoking weed since I was 13 and look at me,” Riddle said on “The Verbal Submission” (via MMA Mania). “I'm in the UFC and I smash people with a smile on my face. It's not a performance-enhancing drug. It makes me relax. It makes me happy. Honestly, it probably keeps me from beating my three kids because they're always screaming and crying at me and my wife's crazy and you know what life's like. It's hard sometimes and honestly, I like to go to my game room and rip a tube and just sit back and relax and enjoy a 20-minute show, go out, see my family, take care of everything I have to take care of, and that's what I do. A lot of people think it's okay to drink a fifth of jack and beat their wife. I don't."

Obviously, Riddle believes weed should be legalized throughout the United States. It’s not in his native Pennsylvania. Riddle currently trains in Texas and Las Vegas. He spent his adolescence in upstate Saratoga Springs.

“Let’s be honest,” he said. “It's White America, it's the big man, it's the guy with the money, it's the pharmaceutical companies, it's the alcohol companies that don't want want marijuana legalized and they'll do anything. They'll ridicule it, they've already had slanderous campaigns about it.”

Riddle also has strong opinions (shocking, right?) about testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) in MMA. TRT is legally administered testosterone to fighters who have less than the normal amount of the substance in their system. Riddle, like many, see it as little more than a loophole in the system. UFC great Vitor Belfort was said to be given a TRT exemption prior to his knockout of Michael Bisping last month.

"Funny thing about that is steroids aren't on the same level as marijuana,” Riddle said. “You can do steroids in the UFC now, didn't you hear? [TRT] is steroids and you can do steroids as long as you get a doctor's note now. So Vitor Belfort just pops for testosterone and everybody's like, 'Oh, he failed.’ No he didn't, he has a doctor's note so it's okay. And honestly, I think it's ridiculous. The reason why they say I can't use marijuana is because it's a performance-enhancing drug. Okay, I understand that. It's a performance-enhancing drug to you. Whatever. But testosterone isn't? Steroids aren't? And if you're saying I can't smoke because you need to keep other fighters safe or myself safe because I'm too high, don't you think you should keep others safe by not letting people using steroids into the cage? That's how I look at it.”

Riddle, 27, gets back in the cage next Saturday against Che Mills at UFC on Fuel TV 7 in London. He holds a 7-3-1 record in a rare pro career that has come solely in the UFC. Riddle has always been an entertaining fighter and apparently his views are just as interesting.

Yesca73

My kids also dodge beatings thnx to mota.
I will check out his next fight

Marijuana being a performance enhancing drug I dont think so but I do have a some experience with been stoned and fighting

back in the day early 90's I was a senior in high school and was at the park getting stoned with a couple of buddies . then my nemesis (big jock type )shows up and wants to fight . a few weeks earlier we fought and he got the better of me but was prematurely stopped by a school official @ a HS basketball game. So he shows up talking shit sayn "u wanna finish what we started " I was thinking o fuck what a bad time to be all stoned. as he approached I told myself ok u are gonna mimic Mike Tyson and fuck this fool up. Tyson was the baddest man on the plant at the time and I watched all his fights . So I am 5'7" 150 lbs nemesis 6' 200lbs . we are now face to face and I just start letting my hands go pretending I am iron mike right hook to the body then quick right hook to the head. It seemed as time slowed down and I could see everything coming . It was like he has just a big punching bag . Everything I did was working I was really surprised . so after a couple of minutes dude back away and didnt want anymore. I dont think I even got hit. I was really amazed at my performance I wish we had cell phone cameras back then so I could watch it now and put that shit on facebook.
So I think mota helped me out in this instance.

420mike

" Weed doesn't fuck up your motivation, it fucks up your motivation to do things that suck!"
~ Joe Rogan

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
" Weed doesn't fuck up your motivation, it fucks up your motivation to do things that suck!"
~ Joe Rogan

Bill Hicks said it better:

“They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realize that it's not worth the fucking effort. There is a difference.”

T

ThirstyKenny

Did martial arts many years ago for about 10 or so years. Had plenty of fights in the ring. Doubt i would have been straight for 1 fight lol. Won most of them too :) I'd have to plead 'bad back 'these days :D

420mike

Smoking weed is not the great demotivator that THEY claim it to be.
A great example would be how many times have you gone a mission in search of weed during a drought? I can remember searching high and low during a dry period. If that aint motivation then what is?