What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

UFC 117: Silva vs Sonnen - TONIGHT LIVE! MUST SEE!

RetroGrow

Veteran
Silva proved again that he is the best. He stayed relaxed, took many punches without even a mark on his face, cut the guy badly with elbows from the bottom, and then did his "spider" thing and choked him out. I believe that he was injured going in. He wasn't 100%. I think if they fight again, he beats him easily. Anyway, great fight!

Thaifighter

Only the dumbest people I've ever met even use the word "hater".

I just want to see him fight a real opponent. Not some sucker with 10 losses.

Ok then what guys should he be fighting?? Aside from vitor belfort, he has beaten everybody relevant in his division.

You must not be a real big mma fan.

Thaifighter

Anderson is still the man... But chael earned a lot of respect tonight... If he wasn't such a douche bag id actually like the guy, cause he is a great fighter. Im deff looking forward to a rematch!

Ramius

Veteran
Fucking great show. Props to Sonnen, he put on a good fight and showed huge amount of skill. Silva is one bad mofo :D

Epic choke by Hughes

Loved the Dos Santos fight too, Roy must have one of the strongest chins in MMA. 8 out of 10 fighters would have been put away with those bombs he was throwing

StoneByName

Wow.... hard to believe. Silva's aura of invincibility was fading but then pulls out nogueira style last minute(s) win. I'm not really a Sonnen fan cos of the trash talking etc. but couldn't help feel sorry for him.

I did not predict that...

CrazyCooter

"I think a black belt under the Nogueira brothers is saying like I got a free toy in my happy meal."

C. Sonnen

All the trash talk the last few months made Sonnen's loss that much sweeter. Coulda' woulda' shoulda'....

awsome fight they found andersons weakness and that is mawl and brawl method cant wait for the next fight sonnon will deffinently beat him.

Nicoli

Veteran
A few things to consider, Anderson was not 100% in this fight. Doctor advised him not to even fight, yet he still fought. He toughed it out, through almost 5 full rounds, and found a way to win.

That is what a champion does.

I have a feeling if there's a re-match, Silva will destroy Sonnen at full health.

That being said, Sonnen backed up the smack talk for the most part, except the part about winning, he definitely took it to Silva, but sometimes that's just not enough to win. Silva showed why he is the champion. People have off nights, and fighting injured isn't exactly ideal.

IWanaGetHiSoHi

Think about what the questions were about The Spiders fighting abilities ... Can he take a punch? Last Night we found out the answer is Yes. Can he think on the fly and adapt to an adverse situation? Yes. He learned how to keep Sonnen from stuffing him in the fence. Can he defend and fight off his back in the guard? Yes. Can he go 5 rounds with a credible opponent? Yes. Does he panic when hurt or caught? No. Can he Work his Jiu Jitsu/submission game? Yes. But it wasn't pretty.
sonnon will deffinently beat him
I definitely want to speak with you in Private ... that is ... If that fight happens again ... and I'll be more than glad to wager with you too.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Silva is the man. Sonnen is a club fighter.
If Silva is 100%, it's no contest. The real test of a martial artist is to weather the storm when things are not going well, stay relaxed, don't waste energy, and wait for your opening, and that's exactly what he did. Not a mark on his face, but he cut the other guy to ribbons from the bottom.
Who else can do that?

weedobix

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Silva is the man. Sonnen is a club fighter.
If Silva is 100%, it's no contest. The real test of a martial artist is to weather the storm when things are not going well, stay relaxed, don't waste energy, and wait for your opening, and that's exactly what he did. Not a mark on his face, but he cut the other guy to ribbons from the bottom.
Who else can do that?
Silva didn't have too many marks or cuts on his face but he was beaten & bruised badly by hundreds of shots. Sonnen got cut but he wasn't really hurt comparatively. Kenflo can do that too.

I started getting nervous in the last round when commentators were talking Sonnen upset win.

I almost puked when Silva pulled it out of the fire - he got his ass smothered and pounded for 4.75 rounds, and still found a way to capitalize on a mistake.

RetroGrow

Veteran
If you noticed, Silva was rolling with every punch, mitigating their effect. He wasn't ever hurt. He is the master.

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
I know sonnen lived up to his trash talk, and if these 2 guys were to fight out in the street well anderson would be hospitalized!

Anderson done well to survive and pull off the submission. True Champion....

I was suprised that sonnen actually whooped anderson all around, Exept his submission game, Sonnen has always been a sucker for submissions, Infact I think all of his losses were by submission...

He actually dropped silva on the feet which was a suprise for me, Then he man handled and controlled him for 23 minutes.

To say silva will walk through sonnen even healthy, That's if he wasnt for this one, Is crazy specially after losing in every aspect but sonnens weak point...

Latest posts

Latest posts