What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tutorial: How to build your own secure lamp holder for a stacked bulb vertical grow

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
Hello ICMag, I thought I'd write up a little tutorial thread on how I built my tripod lamp holder. There are a few ways that you can setup your lamps for a stacked vert grow, my last run I had 2 bulbs connected with chains which brought about some problems including dead zones and bulbs not being fully independent.

The new design leaves the 2 bulbs fully independent from each other and both bulbs will be fully adjustable to the correct height with ease plus it's very stable and will last a long time.

Items and tools required

Dutch Barn style reflector, you will want one with the aluminum strip that runs up the back of the shade, pictures below.
A pair of pliers
Drill
Angle grinder
Camera tripod
Drill bit, bolt, & nut that need to be the correct size to fit through the tripods small mount piece.

I went ahead and bought some shades, I needed 3 new ballasts anyhow so I bought reflectors & bulbs in the package deal, I bought the dutch barn style reflector which are one of the cheapest reflectors that you can buy, I bought them for 1 thing, the strip of aluminum that runs up the middle of the shade, the lamp holder is already attached, here is the shade:

Note the aluminum with the maxibright sticker, I bought the shades just to get that strip of aluminum, very inexpensive.

picture.php

Time to get the drill and drill out the pop rivets, there are 4 on these shades.

picture.php

You will now have the aluminium strip completely off the reflector.

picture.php

Next you will have to bend the strip into the correct shape, as shown below:

picture.php

Now cut off the excess metal with an angle grinder, mind your fingers.

picture.php

Tutorial Continued Below.

Last edited:

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
Now you will need to drill a hole into your new aluminum bracket so you can fit on the tripod mount.

picture.php

Here is the tripod that I bought, it was £20, it is fully adjustable with a ball rotation for extra movement, perfect if you haven't bent the metal totally level.

picture.php

Take the little plastic mount (the one that fits onto your camera) you will need to take out the screw, it's held on with a little clip which can be easily removed with a screw driver, you will need to find a nut and bolt that will fit through the hole and will fit flush into the mount, also get the correct size drill bit while your buying the nut & bolt. Here is the plastic mount and the new nut & bolt.

picture.php

Secure it to the aluminum.

picture.php

Now attach it to the tripod

picture.php

Tutorial Continued Below.

Last edited:

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran

Congratulations you have now built your very own independent lamp holder that is fully adjustable! Attach it securely to your fan and your ready to put it into the grow room!

picture.php

One of the things that I really like about the tripod is that you don't need to move the telescopic legs to adjust the height of the bulb, you simply need to adjust this little screw and move the bulb into position.
Adjust Screw

picture.php

Bulb fully extended without having to adjust the legs.

picture.php

I really dig this tripod lamp holder and I hope it helps some of you growers out there, if you build your own please post a pic here for fun.

Peace & Chat Soon

HGO

Last edited:

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
Sweet idea HGO, although balancing the lamp on top of the fan is a temporary thing I trust

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
Thanks guys, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks Bush I really love it and yes I took the pic before I secured the tripod, I'll requote myself from above ;)

Hundred Gram Oz said:
Attach it securely to your fan and your ready to put it into the grow room!

Glad you like it bro.

Take Care
HGO

Sqydro

what do u do with ur top light here HGO have it bulb to bulb or stacked as normal?? gave this 5***** as it deserves!

Aotf

This is very cool! I have seen some similar clips but on a way smaller footprint, such as the Bake-a-round cool tubes, this is better.

I have been toying with doing a cab w/ a cool tube or a vert setup and this might be the project for inspiration. I have a lil 400w setup that just might be the bee's knees with this kind of setup.

Thank you sir, where do I send the check lolz

Helluva tripod homie...no fuckin joke! Double penetration will take you where ya need to go...in peace!

Stonefree69

Veg & Flower Station keeper
Veteran
Super idea +rep! I'm going this route now. The Maxibright Euro Reflector you use says now on some sites "Now with a V in the middle and rounded corners" and may not attached to tripod right unless it retains the strip you have. Guess there other alts to using w/tripod. Telescopes have nice tripods as well and can go pretty high and light stands are made to be sturdy (used w/top heavy umbrellas).

Wonder if I can adapt this from Sunlight Supply, "Use with all Sun System reflectors that do not come standard with a socket. These sockets come with the patented male lamp receptacle which is compatible with all Sun System ballasts":

qn8wba.png

Edit: those Manfrotto tripods are used by the pros, seems cheapest I could find is $54 USD. Says 3.3 lb. capacity. Tons of others to look at though. Dolica models supports to 13-15 lbs. for $45-55. and Ravelli Professional to 17 lbs for about $50. They all don't have bottom support structure/bracing that would block fan just like the Manfrotto. Some have bubble level. All get great reviews.

Last edited:

Stonefree69

Veteran
I'm gonna try to mount this socket/fixture above w/an aluminum strip or ruler from the hardware store, same procedure as Hundred Gram Oz did in 1st post. Fixture already has 2 screws w/holes. Maybe 22-26 gauge 6061 aluminum strip (also cools better than steel, corrosion resistant and easy to work). Many tripods also have a bubble level. Hundred Gram Oz, I can't thank you enough!!! :D

PS: Besides the hardware store, here's an online store for 6061 aluminum strips in different gauges, widths and lengths @ speedymetals.com - about a buck or 2 each for .125" (heavy 11 gauge) x 1-2" x 12". Here's a better pic of fixture w/socket 5k mogul base:

bhaogo.jpg

Here's a closer look at assembly, only this is 120v for compact fluorescents similar assembly (to get better view):
2rqgkth.jpg

L

LEX-UK

Nice1 bruva.. I was actually thinking lastnight about how I gonna go about staking two bulbs... Now I know! Thanks!

All I have todo is get the tripod, I have dozens of these reflectors stashed. I'm guessing Tobe staked I'd simply hang the other bulb?

Good tut HGO I may still be in contact for further confidence :comfort:

angel4us

ICMag Donor
vert candlestick holder

vert candlestick holder

heres a quick and efficient holder just set on bricks or edge of hard containers surround with plants , add water !!! enjoy

Stonefree69

Veteran
Gettin an adjustable Ravelli Pro 65" tripod next month for about $40 & 1-2" wide 12" long 1/8th inch thick aluminum 6061 flat at speedymetals.com for $1-2 each and some big 7" channellock pliers over dishcloth to bend them 90 degrees. Drill and screw 6061 flat, bend in U shape 2-4" high & mount tripod with bulb fixture. I have a level as the tripod model I like doesn't.

41RaJPBKPEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Flat.jpg

31Mhamj4YQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

380610-250.jpg

heres a quick and efficient holder[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=43438&pictureid=1022037&thumb=1]View Image[/url] just set on bricks or edge of hard containers surround with plants , add water !!! enjoy
You can also get the aluminum 6061 flats by the foot and bend and drill holes in them like you illustrated. Great idea, simple and cheap.

Latest posts

Latest posts