What's new

TRICHOME COLOR

hamstring

Veteran
Hello all
I'm not new to growing but have a newbie question.

This is my first time growing this strain and I am harvesting some of my Star Killer.

I like a nice couch lock high which is normally associated with amber colored Trichs. The leaves are fading and many are dying off. It looks like time to harvest to me. But when I examine the trichs I see almost no amber. While trimming I saw some of the inner sugar leaves were turning brown. So bud rot is a concern although I have not seen any.

I would like to get everyones thoughts on harvest time. Oh yeah, I am right around week 9 of a 10 week strain.
thumb_IMG_1076_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_1086_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_1087_1024.jpg
S20220811_002.jpg
S20220811_004.jpg
S20220811_006.jpg
S20220811_009.jpg
S20220811_010.jpg
S20220811_011.jpg

Last edited:

Three Berries

If you are ready to pick try putting them in 100% darkness for three days, and some cool the roots with ice water. Then take a look at them.

I just did another one that sat for three days under cover and it defiantly increase the trichs production throughout the plant. Didn't bother to scope them though.

hamstring

Veteran
If you are ready to pick try putting them in 100% darkness for three days, and some cool the roots with ice water. Then take a look at them.

I just did another one that sat for three days under cover and it defiantly increase the trichs production throughout the plant. Didn't bother to scope them though.
Thanks 3 berries.

I agree I would have liked to give 48 hrs of darkness but as you can see in the group shot some are not ready yet. My fault for not mentioning this is a pheno hunt of regular seeds so a few different phenos in there.

hamstring

Veteran
I'd say let it go the full 10 there's still quite a bit of clear trichs.

Couchlock isn't just about the amber also just the general chemotype. This strain might tick your box even with the majority cloudy.
I agree with you and wish I wouldn't have harvested any of it now.

I am mostly an guerrilla outdoor grower so I tend to rely on my instincts when it comes to harvest time. Mother nature not Trichs is your harvest guideline.

I have a USB scope I use for pest/disease control and identification for my indoor plants but it is virtually useless when it comes to trying to use it with out a stand to hold it steady. Even with the stand you can see many of the pics are a bit blurry.

I will have to invest in a good loop. Thanks again.

TheUnknownGrowe

It looks like you have more than 1 plant of that strain?
Try one now and one in a week, your tastes may differ from others, and some strains are better early rather than late! Personal preference ….

hamstring

Veteran
It looks like you have more than 1 plant of that strain?
Try one now and one in a week, your tastes may differ from others, and some strains are better early rather than late! Personal preference ….
Yeah, I'd like to say that was the plan up front but it is now. I have left 3 of the 6 go for another 7-10 days. I just need to keep an eye out for bud rot as the leaves die back. Thanks for your reply.

grayeyes

Since this is not science but partly art, you may need to clip and cure some, unless you have several of the same strain growing to figure out what point is right for you to harvest. I grew out a valid strain of Malawi that I first let go 22 weeks in flower. High THC but terps were mostly subdued. When I harvested another at 16 weeks, still very potent but it had all the terps including the bright pineapple I was looking for.

hamstring

Veteran
Since this is not science but partly art, you may need to clip and cure some, unless you have several of the same strain growing to figure out what point is right for you to harvest. I grew out a valid strain of Malawi that I first let go 22 weeks in flower. High THC but terps were mostly subdued. When I harvested another at 16 weeks, still very potent but it had all the terps including the bright pineapple I was looking for.
Thanks for the advice and agree. I have seen this before where the terps fade towards the end of flowering. I thought harvesting based on terp volatility would be a nice experiment. Harvesting at peak terp smell would be interesting to see if that equaled more taste.

grayeyes

I agree with you and wish I wouldn't have harvested any of it now.

I am mostly an guerrilla outdoor grower so I tend to rely on my instincts when it comes to harvest time. Mother nature not Trichs is your harvest guideline.

I have a USB scope I use for pest/disease control and identification for my indoor plants but it is virtually useless when it comes to trying to use it with out a stand to hold it steady. Even with the stand you can see many of the pics are a bit blurry.

I will have to invest in a good loop. Thanks again.
I recently replaced a 30X imitation Micronata for about $12. Google it.

grayeyes

Yeah, that's it. You can really view the trichomes with those. You need to be steady and not wiggly but it can be done. You will be amazed as what you have grown. Mine has two lights so you can look in early morning. I thought it was worth the $12. I owned a Micronata for 30 years.

Latest posts

Latest posts