What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tomato growers?

St. Phatty

I have what I thought was a normal tomato plant in an 11 gallon pot.

It is making the world's smallest cherry tomatoes. Not much bigger than a cherry pit.

I put one on top of the cat's morning food. He (or they) have been eating all their vegetables ! Potatoes & apples, mashed, with Iodized salt ... so the cat gets enough Iodine too ...

green-genes77

Veteran
Orange Oxheart 'German Strawberry'

Orange Oxheart 'German Strawberry'

Super meaty, low acid fruits that average about a pound with some 24 ounce specimens. Grows on finicky vines that benefit from a lot of high quality N and extra Ca. When you get a really good one it's more reminiscent of a peach than a tomato.

picture.php

M

member 505892

Super meaty, low acid fruits that average about a pound with some 24 ounce specimens. Grows on finicky vines that benefit from a lot of high quality N and extra Ca. When you get a really good one it's more reminiscent of a peach than a tomato.

View Image

I have a few seedlings of this growing just now.

Orange Strawberry and German Orange Strawberry are the same, i suspect yours is the same also?

OS and GOS are both Oxheart types, the 'German' part just got added somehow.

Japanese Black Trifele and Russian Black Truffle (or just Black Truffle) are supposed to be the same genetics too.

green-genes77

Veteran
I have a few seedlings of this growing just now.

Orange Strawberry and German Orange Strawberry are the same, i suspect yours is the same also?

OS and GOS are both Oxheart types, the 'German' part just got added somehow.

Japanese Black Trifele and Russian Black Truffle (or just Black Truffle) are supposed to be the same genetics too.

Yeah that sounds likely. I picked up the original plants of this from a roadside stand years ago under this name, probably just a
mis-remembering or local renaming.

I've grown those side by side a number of times and that never occurred to me. Very cool. The JBT is quite nice too.

Feritysi

I also plant Heirloom tomatoes. If you start planting tomatoes then you should watch out for Aphids, they are quite annoying.

St. Phatty

is it possible to grow tomatoes in 11 gallon pots, or do they need more room for their roots ?

the plant with the tiny tomatoes LOOKS healthy, has flowers etc.

M

member 505892

is it possible to grow tomatoes in 11 gallon pots, or do they need more room for their roots ?

the plant with the tiny tomatoes LOOKS healthy, has flowers etc.

I imagine it should be fine, IF it survives the transpant.

noknees

anybody thinking about tomatoes for spring yet? i have a couple heirloom cherries started.

would really like to try strawberries too.

Cvh

Supermod
Besides regular and cherry tomatoes we're planning on also planting Amethyst Jewel and Ananas Noire this year. Probably only start them next month or the end of next month.

M

member 505892

Koralik...ultra fast and great taste

View Image

Very beautiful :)

There is a pretty common heirloom cherry tomato called Tomme/ Tommy Toe (it seems different spelled in some places) that is very good regular dark red, like looks perfect to me and tastes very good too.

Some people even use it as a rootstock, it is a strong plant with great fruit. Even though my little patch is infested with blight this year.

Nannymouse

420giveaway
I only got through the first nine pages, so if i'm repetitious, please forgive! If your tomatoes are not as sweet as they should be, it may be because they need more acid. Our soil and water is very base, so we ph down.

We like to grow heirlooms. The best production for us has been Black Prince and Rutgers. I also grow tomatoes indoors, south window with light supplementation in the winter. Seems that we have better production from a 'little yellow' cherry size tomato (from china origin, i think) than with the larger tomatoes. The larger ones only give us several tomatoes through the winter, which are cherished, but the part that i like best is that we can take cuttings in spring for outdoor.

I may have to try to go with DWC for a change, and see if they do better than soil, indoors.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I would love to see a pic, sounds like a wonderful strain.

It is time to start picking seed for Spring around here. I have been going through the seed collection, 700 variety heirloom, and it is very hard to narrow it down to the 200 variety I will grow. Not a bad problem to have for a seed geek..

Latest posts

Latest posts