What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tikal

splinter7

Does Tikal struggle to get amber trichomes, or even cloudy ones? Its seemed to mature quickly, but seems to have stopped for a bit. I am at f78 and they are mostly clear...no amber in sight. really, just looking for cloudy. the odor is getting pretty interesting. maybe it's the peach incense, but it's difficult to identify. there is some sweet tart fruit (peachy?) and some light fuel or petrol smell, not really skunky. the non fruit side is more like a very light whif of the sliver haze's i grew 20+ years ago.

RobFromTX

Does Tikal struggle to get amber trichomes, or even cloudy ones? Its seemed to mature quickly, but seems to have stopped for a bit. I am at f78 and they are mostly clear...no amber in sight. really, just looking for cloudy. the odor is getting pretty interesting. maybe it's the peach incense, but it's difficult to identify. there is some sweet tart fruit (peachy?) and some light fuel or petrol smell, not really skunky. the non fruit side is more like a very light whif of the sliver haze's i grew 20+ years ago.
I had one that matured very quickly and another tall lanky one that took forever, about 12 weeks. They were both winners though

revegeta666

You can't really judge the ripeness of sativas the same way you do with indicas looking at the trichomes. At least most of them I would think. You rather judge the ripeness by general look of the buds. Sativas have a longer window of harvest so I suggest you "play it by ear" so to say.

RobFromTX

You can't really judge the ripeness of sativas the same way you do with indicas looking at the trichomes. At least most of them I would think. You rather judge the ripeness by general look of the buds. Sativas have a longer window of harvest so I suggest you "play it by ear" so to say.
So true. Theres no worse buzz in the world than smoking sativa that wasn't finished properly. I wouldn't wish that on anybody

splinter7

So true. Theres no worse buzz in the world than smoking sativa that wasn't finished properly. I wouldn't wish that on anybody

i've been pretty fixated on getting to at least mostly cloudy trichomes. way back we did look at trichomes, but we also just looked at the hair development. these days i wait for the buds to plump. these buds did get plump, but weeks ago. they haven't changed much since. the lower buds are finally getting red hairs and fattening. the red hairs to me mean that it is close. 75% red was good to go when i young. I am approaching 84 days now. I wonder if anyone takes it longer.

RobFromTX

i've been pretty fixated on getting to at least mostly cloudy trichomes. way back we did look at trichomes, but we also just looked at the hair development. these days i wait for the buds to plump. these buds did get plump, but weeks ago. they haven't changed much since. the lower buds are finally getting red hairs and fattening. the red hairs to me mean that it is close. 75% red was good to go when i young. I am approaching 84 days now. I wonder if anyone takes it longer.
You probably have that long flowering pheno i had. Is it really tall and lanky? Mine didnt smell fruity like the short flowering one, more of a hazey woody smell. Great smoke though

splinter7

You probably have that long flowering pheno i had. Is it really tall and lanky? Mine didnt smell fruity like the short flowering one, more of a hazey woody smell. Great smoke though

oh, it's mildy fruity/sweet tart. not too woody. it's fem stock from a US distributor. the light petrol could be a wood/incense to a different nose. it didn't stretch much, but i had some ph issue in weeks 1 and 2 of flower. how long did you let it go?

splinter7

Again, thanks folks for the support you guys gave me.

i just took her down. f95. The yield was better than all the other plants this cycle.
Based on what I could find here and there, I should not wait for amber trichs. and, so few were amber..it was hard to find. instead i took it when i had most of the plant with turned pistils (swollen brachts) and i saw a few a few percent of the trichs turning the slight yellow per my research. I had never noticed that before. I didn't get a lot of cloudy trichs as I might on some faster strains.
turned out fruity/sweet tar/sour with some pine or menthol.
within the scent is this smell/feeling I get from powdery stuff, or from the backbend of a sweet tart or bottle cap candy. chalky, i guess. perhaps it a bit medicinal in taste too.

I didn't keep a reveg of her since she took so long. I still have one more bean though.

Just tried the trim hash...it's uplifting for the most part. will post pics once I get organized and maybe after the dry.

Last edited:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
yep as @revegeta666 correctly pointed out, smaller, more compact, early flowering Tikal phenos, with a bit wider hashplant indica type of leaf can also be found, similar in structure to the one posted lately here by @Stephensplinter which as he also correctly describes, tend to have a sour fruity (even petrol) terpene profile, and produce more balanced, hybrid type effects.

revegeta666

A little bag full of sunshine
IMG_20230419_171100.jpg

revegeta666

How is your Tikal after half a year of cure @revegeta666 :D ?
Pretty decent! :D It actually cured for 10 months, and has been vacuum sealed and frozen for 6 months. I think it peaked around 8-9 months of curing. Other than that I can't really tell the difference from before and after freezing tbh.

early_hominid

I have a Tikal in a bucket that is growing out of control. I'm doubling her reservoir and light proofing the tent to flip her to flower her this weekend. I have a bunch of clones already rooted just in case this baby needs preserving

Aug 25

IMG_5871.JPEG

IMG_5869.JPEG

Sep 8

IMG_6071.JPEG

Sep 14 in the middle of tying her down
IMG_3779.JPEG

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks a lot for choosing Tikal @early_hominid 🥰 glad you managed to get some seeds before the strain was totally sold out, your interest in our less famous strains is much appreciated, hope you get a pheno of your taste, great looking plant :yes:

I'm sure many of us here miss Tikal.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks a lot for keep growing Tikal and hybrids @Ncali much appreciated 🥰 The 2 Tikals look indeed like long flowering phenos. Tikal x Honduras looks wonderful, much more advanced, resinous, better flower/leaf ratio, looks almost like Panama Goddess phenos with such voluminous buds of long pistils.