What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thought I Poisoned my Cat, by administering Acyclovir for Laryngitis

St. Phatty

He showed up a little late on Sunday, from his night-time travels.

I FINALLY looked up "Acyclovir Cats", and found that it's TOXIC for cats.

I was quite worried for about 2 hours.

When he did turn up, he acted normal.

I know you have to be careful about XYLITOL, the sweetener used in gum.

That can kill animals by screwing up their blood sugar. I keep all my Xylitol Gum double-bagged.

But Acyclovir ?

Anyway, poor little guy lost his Meow.

I used up the last of my Penicillin, on a 3-dose mix of cat-food-with-Penicillin.

MORAL OF THE STORY: if you act as your pet's Veterinarian, do a web search first !

Before I had treated 3 infections, in birds and the cat, and it all went well.

So now I'm 3 out of 4.

St. Phatty

What were you treating the poor kitty for?

Laryngitis.

Completely lost his Meow for about a week.

The sound he made was just the breath being expelled, as he tried to meow, then purring.

BUT tonight when he wanted inside, his Meow was part back. Like 1/4 volume.

I think I will start giving him small fractions of my People multi-vitamins, with Ivermectin mixed in.

The Ivermectin ( worm medication ) was in the first mix I gave him, with the antibiotic.

The Ivermectin is a good anti-viral, and also a worm medication. It's the standard worm medication given to horses goats etc.

Hard part is dose. Just the people dose is about a 1/10 teaspoon.

So I have to give him a tiny amount, like 1/100 teaspoon, and then mix it really really thoroughly.

When he comes inside he is usually completely covered in plant burrs and plant seeds.

My neighbor has 2 female wild cats in a large zoo type cage. Like a Lynx or Ocelot, but smaller. I think that is where he spends some of his time, but it doesn't account for how covered in seeds he gets. It looks like he is travelling a 1/4 mile or 1/2 mile every day.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
420giveaway
I know you have to be careful about XYLITOL, the sweetener used in gum.

That can kill animals by screwing up their blood sugar. I keep all my Xylitol Gum double-bagged.

It's not much good for humans either! Interesting that ants won't go anywhere near the stuff.

Three Berries

I use Ivermectin but it's the 6 mg pill.

You know cats don't know how to meow unless they are taught? Got three wild ones that all meow now.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
It f-cks up bacteria too - the bacteria that eat your teeth.

That's why I use it.
............. that means it's also messing with your general micro-herd, not good overall.

Better to take an oral dose of L. Reuteri, etc to replace the bad population of bacteria with good. :good:

Last edited:

St. Phatty

............. that means it's also messing with your general micro-herd, not good overall.

Better to take an oral dose of L. Reuteri, etc to replace the bad population of bacteria with good. :good:

Your statement assumes that teeth-attacking bacteria and intestine bacteria are one and the same.

Good thing to check up on.

As far as the cat, his meow is even better this morning.

Now I would like to ask other cat owners who have made the possible mistake of giving their cats acyclovir.

One of the articles about it is about a cat that ate a full 200 mg, and was AOK. That would be like a human eating 2000+ milligrams, very not good.

I find that acyclovir knocks me on my ass, or back, turns me into a couch potato.

The "Gospel" is that Cat Laryngitis is usually a Viral infection.

St. Phatty

I'm beginning to think the Veterinary Edict about Acyclovir,

is related to Vet. industry revenues.

If people started giving their cats people anti-viral Medicines,

of the correct dose and after researching possible toxicity -

big drop in revenues for the Veterinary-industrial complex.

My cat's voice is completely back, enough so that I made him start wearing a collar again.

There was a big scare, for me, but no evidence of toxicity,
other than him being 2 hours late for breakfast.