What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

thinking about swiching

Cameltom

I'm thinking about switching to Hydro... so if I had a 20-30gal res. And 2 buckets with drip line how often would I have to check the res... or how stable is the ph and ppm?
Is it harder to go organic in hydro?? What kinda system would u recommend for a newbie in the field of hydro? 600wlight is what I'm workin with

Smoking Gun

I may not be answering the questions you have but I will offer some info that may help you along. I have not run any organics in hydro, mostly because many organic nutrients have large amounts of sediment that is likely to clog drip lines and gunk up pumps. One of the things that must be understood about organic nutrients is that they still need to be broken down into a form the plants can use. This process of decomposition is usually performed by fungal and bacteria cultures often found in or added to the planting medium. So when using organic nutrients in a conventional style you are adding those nutrients to the medium where they decompose and eventually become available for the plants to uptake. However, when growing hydroponically the mineral nutrients we supply are usually in a form that the plants can uptake immediately. So this presents two problems, how to culture the proper bacteria and fungi to break down organic nutrients and how long will the nutrients need to be in the reservoir before the plants can begin taking up their nutrients.

The easiest solution to the first issue is to make teas to use in the reservoir. The process of making teas breaks down the organic compounds into forms that the plants can readily utilize. But the second issue remains, how long would that tea stay in the reservoir before it becomes detrimental to the plants?

Also standard PPM and pH meters will not accurately measure the nutrient solution due to how they work. They read the levels of metals in the water to provide a pH or PPM reading. Organic nutrients do not contain the same metals as mineral nutrients, therefore readings of organic solutions on those same meters will not provide an effective reading to maintain nutrient levels.

These are just some of the obstacles that have kept me from venturing into organic hydroponics. I am in no way implying it cannot be done, there are people who have worked with organics in hydroponics. I would suggest doing a lot more reading and research before you make a full venture into this method of growing. I do apologize if this post didn't answer your questions, I just figured I could help lay out the obstacles you may have to overcome to achieve your goal.

Cameltom

Well, I have a good 6-9 mounths before I can actually start any thing... although I'm not a noob to growing, I would be to hydro... I try to keep it only organic in my zen garden, when I have one. Ill just do a single dwc bucket I guess c if it works out for me

avant gardener

Veteran
i was going to suggest that you give conventional hydro a go before trying organic water culture. then i thought about it a little more.

whichever way you go, you're going to bump your head and make a bunch of mistakes. may as well screw things up learning what it is you really want to do in the end.

Smoking Gun

Thanks... hydro kinda sounds like a pain. What kinda fert do u recomend?

In my hydro set up I am currently running Bloom (the yellow bottle) line of nutrients. I really like them, they are very clean, low salt, and derived from natural sources. So that would be my immediate suggestion. I am just about ready to try out Microbe Life Hydroponics line of nutrients and supplements. Their products are mostly organic and many of them are based on a special bacteria culture. I have high hopes for their products.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
I highly recommend the K.I.S.S. method for new hydro folks. :)

Been using GH Flora 3-part, FloraNova and Maxibloom for 10 years... the Nova is the only one that leaves any sediment... all work very well. :)

Do a search on the net for "Ask Lucas" and read the whole thread over at cannabisworld. The info for DWC, E&F and Drip are there... applicable to everything else.

Did 6 months of research on the easiest, most successful, least issues way to grow hydro, 10 years ago. Went with Lucas then and have never changed... Grow setups have changed... strains have changed.... locations have changed and (except when I was battling REALLY bad water) nothing but dankity dank, dank. :)

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

Cameltom

well guys im in coco now. so its kinda hydro kinda not.. ill try a bucket out later i dont have the time right now

I absolutely second the KISS method. For your first hydro grow I would absolutely recommend flood and drain with veg and bloom nutes. Flood and drain is great, easy to design and build and also takes away a few of the major problems that new hydro people are likely to experience. Flood for fifteen minutes every four hours and you're golden. I recommend hydroton for your medium.

If you use veg and bloom nutes then you don't even need a PH meter because it's ph buffered. You also won't need to add any calmag with it. Just a half tsp - a whole tsp per gallon and you're good.

with the flood and drain table, you only need two tubs, a $20 pump, a couple ebb n flow fittings a timer and some grow rocks.

Latest posts

Latest posts