What's new

Thinkin' of a drive up to Nimbin

Hey guys, like the title suggests I'm thinking of spending a few nights up in Nimbin in the coming months.

I went there about five years ago and stayed a few nights, scored some weed (which had water sprayed on it) and chilled out; but I found it difficult to meet locals and get acquainted with the town on a local level. There was a certain sense of paranoia and suspicion towards outsiders and it made me feel a bit isolated.

I remember being surprised by all the heroin addicts roaming around and all the people who looked and acted like they'd been through the 'chemical wars'. The people where I were staying were nice and friendly and gave me some good suggestions on things to do and see, but again there was just weird drugged out people everywhere who didn't like to talk to outsiders. Maybe I was there on a bad week but it was a little off putting. I left feeling that it was a shame that when ordinary people think of marijuana they would immediately associate it with Nimbin.

Despite all this, the region and it's scenery is absolutely stunning and i'd like to go back and check it out. Are there any places to visit in the area that are visitor friendly? Has anyone had any similar experiances?

If you didn't know anyone in the town and were staying a few nights what would you do?

Any feedback is appreciated thanks for reading

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
Haven't been there for ages but from what I've heard on the grapevine it is pretty much the same as you describe it in your post Nowhere Man.
Basically if you don't know anyone there who is a local then I think your in for a similar experience mate.
The hammer scene has really destroyed something that was really beautiful unfortunately and was a sight to behold and be apart of before the hard drugs started ruining people's lives. The people that don't use hard drugs aren't really hanging around the town, they stick to their beautiful homes in the surrounding gorgeous bushland.
It is quite sad to say the least about what was a great little township with a lot of beautiful loving people who grew some of the best ganja in Australia at the time.

T

TheBatCave

nimbin is full of polotics it used to be great but then everyone got on fb and on those medical marijuana groups then they had an up roar and then in nimbin a store got burned down then the cops raided everyone and every known dealer in the town i think theres a lot of narks and informants so id stay away from there that place is finished

wallywombat

"The people that don't use hard drugs aren't really hanging around the town, they stick to their beautiful homes in the surrounding gorgeous bushland. " - boom

i agree with you boom those are the people that make nimbin , nimbin ,
don't be put off nimbin go for the experience rather than what you think of people on the street i personally don't judge anyone, but what nowhere man is saying has a point but you get that in any big city or little town if you're a outsider its a part of life :ying:

GreeeeN GRassss

duppy conqueror
Veteran
i passed thru nimbin while backpacking 5 years ago. what a shit hole the main street is. junkieville.

what really made the trip great and special was the locals at the bowls club. 12 irish people drinking free beer with a load of aussies and one irish guy that was about 70 who lived in nimbin for 20 years lol. they treated us like kings. they wanted to stay for good in nimbin.

i didnt get any nice weed there at the time either moldy or soaking wet. get way better weed in melbourne :)

Well thanks for all your responses guys very much appreciated. I might give Nimbin a miss this time around - there's a lot of great little towns in this big and beautiful country of ours so I might go for a drive somewhere I haven't already been.

ozza

Veteran
Dude I always go to Nimbin. Sorta have gone there a lot more then I let on in an Earlier thread I made. :) I always stay up at the YHA backpackers. I have some of the best nights up there with backpackers and locals. Got good seeds there and scored some cheese as well and some really good local bud. I just never buy off the dudes at the front of the alley or the first stuff I look at. I reckon after the raids though it might be a bit sketchy.