What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Spirit of OG

Can we start a discussion with a specific orientation?

That is to discover the spirit of the toke we call OG Kush.

This conversation should operate under the basic assumption that nobody is lying about their origin stories, that they are all a thread in the fabric of the full story of its history...it would be what they all have in common that is without a doubt the genotypic/phenotypic articulation of the essence of what we call OG Kush and could serve to provide a starting point for future OG breeding projects.

This means ALL of the origin stories, including Josh D & Bubba, including the Swamp Boys, including DNA genetics, the TK origins, the Gainesville Green, even that extant Hawaiian tangent I once heard and quite possibly several origin stories we are yet to be made aware of...I contend that they all tell at least part of the story and the BS will be weeded out in the process.

So, allow the descriptions to begin, please include any OG you can think of, all the cuts that made their way around, SFV, Tahoe, Larry, Soul Assassins, Fire OG, Lemon OG, Legend OG, Jew Gold, Hell's OG & many many more, what do they taste like, smell like, grow like, feel like, you name it, and we can begin to draw some meta-analysis of the varietal at large.

Peace & Love,
Growth & Development,
Wisdom & Understanding,
Mastery is around the bend, my friends.

Booyah!

You ain't getting much love on this one. For some reason I always loved all the OG stories even if they mostly were BS. Perhaps it was the enthusiasm and mystery of each. OG still is queen around here. Haven't seen any of the hyped up new contenders go toe to toe. In the end I always go back to the Kush. All the rest are flavors of the week for me. Fun and even tasty, but gets old quickly. Nothing yet has matched the complexities and balanced high of the original Cali Kush. Truly a masterpiece.

I heard another chapter of the story recently from from a very respectable grower in Florida on what TK actually came from. Not my story but really fit a lot of the pieces together for me. I don't really feel comfortable reciting a story that isn't mine. But would be glad to chat over DM and point you in the right direction.

Nothing yet has matched the complexities and balanced high of the original Cali Kush. Truly a masterpiece.

By all means, hit my DM with those origin stories, I love hearing them and following the trails...but what I'm really looking for in this thread is that unbridled passionate enthusiasm for a strain like you just described...can you further articulate some of those complexities you truly adore in the Cali Kush? I want to hear that the most on here.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This thread already exists. It was started by Jetlife. It is the definitive OG Kush thread for a reason.

dank.Frank

JetLife175

Veteran
I appreciate the compliments frank.

And to comment on this thread. I don’t wanna knock it but all of us have been hearing the bullshit stories and it’s taken a lot of laws changing for people to feel comfortable enough to come out and give us the real information.

It took me years to compile that info in the thread I created. Little pieces here and there. Breadcrumb trail after breadcrumb trail. Once I met josh pieces started falling together. The handful of times we interacted in person I would get small nuggets of information, pure gold I might add. I figured out who was who and how the cut was disseminated. There’s actually a lot left out of that thread out of respect for some old heads still doing it Wild West style but trust me enough to put me on with information without putting them out on the line.

I hope you compile your information and honestly I respect the hell out of you for creating a new thread rather than post in the one I made. Good luck bro I know someone has these stories saved on a hard drive somewhere, and its a quick google search away too I’m sure.

This thread already exists. It was started by Jetlife. It is the definitive OG Kush thread for a reason.

dank.Frank

I am aware of that thread dank.Frank, I do not want this thread to just be that one all over again, I do not want to hear the stories here or debate their validity, I want people to describe the myriad qualities of all of the strains claiming to be OG varietals or original cuts, all of the qualities, taste, smell, effect, duration, flower time, growth patterns, difficulty, yield, etc. trust me I respect the hell out of Jetlife for laying the groundwork already.

It took me years to compile that info in the thread I created. Little pieces here and there. Breadcrumb trail after breadcrumb trail.

And thank you so much for that meticulous work Jetlife, I highly respect you for it, I have definitely been observing your journalistic integrity.

I hope you compile your information and honestly I respect the hell out of you for creating a new thread rather than post in the one I made. Good luck bro I know someone has these stories saved on a hard drive somewhere, and its a quick google search away too I’m sure.

Thank you so much for the cosign, I appreciate it, and that is definitely the plan, to lay this info out honestly and use it in my own breeding project I'm calling Mission: Crippie Come Home (since I'm a grower/breeder from Central FL).

Also, Jetlife & dank.Frank, do you think you could take a second to describe/articulate as best you can the many qualities & complexities of your absolute favorite OG cuts and/or crosses? For posterity's sake.

Last edited:

kamyo

Veteran
One thing that's always fascinated me with these and the Chem stories is the actual lineage. Phylos shows some, but that's a can of worms I'd rather not open right now.

More specifically, I'm fascinated by what seems like a paradox where there's a thought that more recent cannabis is "stronger," but the more recent cannabis was based on in seeds from nearly 30 years ago (note: I don't necessarily share the sentiment of it being stronger now, just that it's something we all hear at some point. Another can of worms).

I know there's been speculation on the genetic makeup of all of these things, and I'm just along for the ride as far as stories go. This late 80s/early 90s thing certainly does influence my seed buying choices, where I try to stay as close to the landrace as possible. I'm aware that nearly everything nowadays will not be what it was back then; that just isn't possible. But I still try to keep it close. Again, I just find the whole thing fascinating from the perspective of thinking about the parents of these clones that have completely changed the cannabis landscape.

Edit: I meant to add that it makes me wonder about "keepers" people find in everyday seed runs and how much better they could be than what we consider legendary today. Statistically speaking, assuming that the original seeds were a good pheno of so readily-available seed stock from back in the day, and otherwise mostly unworked, there should be other phenomenal stuff that shows up from time to time. We see some of these every now & then (see: gsc, gg, et. al). But many of those are also based on these cuts. Would be interesting to see how an Afghani/Skunk "keeper" compares.

I actually meant to search the forum or make a post about that. Keepers/phenos from seed vs clone only.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts