What's new

The ph of my coco is very high - what to do?

phaedrus

Hi,

I have a concern with my coco. After I did the buffer procedure, I carried out slurry tests. Slurry tests are highly recommended with the Nectar for the Gods nutrient line. They are meant to qualify the growing medium's ph and ppm values.

My coco came out ~7.5. (After the buffering procedure, I did rinse with my well water which is highly alkaline.) The Nectar line recommends ~400 ppm and a ph of 6.5. If ph is high, it of course recommends adding a more acidic solution. Whenever I did so, the ph moved extremely slightly. I even did one fluid addition with a ph of 5.2. (This is all before adding plants.) The last I got was 7.0 and 6.6 at which time I went with it by testing two seedlings. (By the way, the Nectar line recommends the fluid be 6.0 to 6.2 during vegetative feeding and 6.2-6.8 during flowering feeding, including for coco.)

The seedlings look fine (it has only been 3 days), but since adding them, I have done two slurry tests. The ph of my coco came out 7.3 in one pot and 7.2 in the other. So, even though the plants look good, I am concerned I'll get some nutrient lockout due to the coco's ph results.

I have a few questions.

1. Should I be concerned?

2. What kind of slurry test results would "good" coco provide?

3. Why is the ph of my coco so resistant to lowering? Is this normal?

4. Is there any way I can lower my coco's ph?

5 What would you recommend me to do?

Of course, my worst-case concern is that my grow is doomed to be really shitty.

stiff

Veteran
What brand coco do you use? Canna doesn't even need rinsing at the beginning really. I used to have those troubles with cheap coco bricks which usually get washed in coastal areas in the oceans water. Canna doesn't do that and I think that's the big difference.
Also..the cheap bricks have heaps of tanning in the drain,canna doesn't.

phaedrus

Hi,

Someone told me that it is not an issue and just add nutrients with a more acidic ph. She advised 5.6-5.8, but I use the Nectars for the Gods line which states that a higher ph is better for their nutrients.

I have done two additions at ~6.1 and my last slurry numbers came out 7.1 and 7.15, which means a ~0.2 drop.

I am guessing I am going to be fine.

Thanks, everybody!