What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Official Hempy Bucket Thread

T

TylerDurden

Hey space! Glad to see some people still want to keep this thread up and running
:smoke: So far I have just been feeding my plants according to the schedule on the
back of the bottle for veg. and Ill probably do the same for flowering since it seems to
be doing just fine. Dark green leaves on all my plants and they look as healthy as can
be. I use Magi-Cal (basically cal-mag just the shop I ordered from delivered the wrong
thing, works just the same though) and will use Sweat Leaf in flowering as additives
for this run. I dont think you need to worry about wrapping the buckets unless its a
DWC. My Hempy buckets are white and some light penetrates so I get algae growth in
the media, but Ive never had any rot or growth on the roots when Ive pulled a few
males and it doesnt seem to hurt anything. Keep us updated on your progress man.
Peace.

Mr. Durden :joint:

T

TylerDurden

Whats up jm420, I had my Hashberry clone originally in rockwool. After roots started showing I put her in a plastic cup with soil where I intended to keep her, that is untill I found out that all my WW's were male. Once I chopped the males down I thoroughly flushed the perlite/vermiculite medium and allowed it to sit and dry for a few days. When the buckets were somewhat dry I took the HB clone out of the cup, loosened the roots that had begun to circle around the bottom of the cup and stuck it (with the remaining soil) into the bucket and its worked out great since. I wouldnt advise putting any more soil than I did b/c it hold so much more water than the perlite/vermiculite mix so It could make it difficult to judge how often/how much to water/feed. Later.

T

TylerDurden

I couldnt say for sure Hans as I havent used coco the medium or coco nutes but I would imagine coco nutes are formulated to provide plants with nutrients and molecules specific to the ones that the coco medium is lacking in, which could ultimately lead to some sort of deficiency. This is the only thing that I could think of that could go wrong but like Ive said, I have no experience in the coco category at all. I have heard of people making a modified Hempy bucket with coco by filling the bottom two inches, or the reservoir, with pure perlite and filling the rest with a coco/perlite mix and sometimes a few other personal ingredients. With this setup coco nutes would be perfectly fine.

KAMy

im having alot of trouble with my 2' 8'' x 2'8'' space with theses buckets im afraid if i make them how am i gonna drain all that excess water >< i love the idea !!!!!!! any tips on what i should do with hempy buckets because it seems like i would need a table for the water to drain hmm im a noob so maybe i should just stick with trying to get ebb and flow to work

nah man its super easy. You could do a few different thing:

1)Since its such a small space, just use kitty litter trays under each plant.

2)If you wanted to get james bond you could build a tray out of 1x4 or something and line it with plastic to make a big water proof tray that is elevated an few inches off the ground. Then attach some pvc pipe at the bottom and run the pvc out of the area to a collection bucket with a pump or drain.

i usually just dumb out a little water after i water them and i havent had a problem with excess water. My new problem is that the humidity in my flowering box is around 60-70 at nights and im 4 weeks into flowering and im nervous about budrot.

T

TylerDurden

Hey KAMy I just take mine out of the closed and put them over the edge of the sink to let them drain and then just put them back where they were.

AndreNicky

I got acouple questions, first off should i paint my buckets black? second do beneficial bacteria effect hempy buckets? debating wether i should use hydrogen peroxide or not. Thanks for any help in advance guys

Styr

AndreNicky said:
I got acouple questions, first off should i paint my buckets black? second do beneficial bacteria effect hempy buckets? debating wether i should use hydrogen peroxide or not. Thanks for any help in advance guys

buckets... as long as the buckets aren't transluscent, it doesn't really matter imo. mine are white because it does help reflect light, but that only matters for a few weeks until a canopy is developed.

i use GH 3 part series for my hempy buckets and they do very well. most other hempys ive seen also use chem nutes and not organics... or if organics, a full organic blend like pbp.

im personally still building my cab and have gone with 3 x 2gal buckets under 300watt (2x150) of hps. my plants were started around oct 20th and are now 6-7" tall with as many nodes. these plants, all 8 of them, are in 16oz plastic beer cups. flowering will begin in a few days :) strain is just bagseed, going with nirvana's ak48 next run though.

SubArctic7

Question about the PH. It was stated to keep it at 6.2 in the OP, but thats right in between hydro and soil. I'm assuming you are letting your PH float a little though. A little feed back on what you are adjusting your nutes to for PH would be great. I was planning on giving this system a try while sexing my White Russians.

Will move to Ebb and Flow once I have them all sexed and a couple mothers in Bonsi training as I am most comfortable with pure hydro. I just couldn't resist trying this system out and this was a good excuse for it :)

T

TylerDurden

Hey Sub, since I use the GH 3 part series and I think its supposed to be pH ballanced so I dont worry about adjusting mine too much. I have checked it a few times though, just with some cheap pH testing strips and found it to be around 6 every time. After this grow I plan on getting a pH meter just to have a little more knowledge about whats going on with my plants though. I would say anywhere from 6.1 to 6.5 should be about right. Later :wave:

ive been doing mine at 5.8 and they seem to be loving it!

about 2 weeks ago or so:

Today:

Using maxigrow from GH and a some LK a few times.

Last edited:

SubArctic7

Very interesting. I would have thought it would be considered hydro instead of soil, but it seems to be fine in the upper hydro ph range through soil ph ranges. It's got me curious enough I might keep a couple hempy buckets going when I switch to ebb and flow after sexing my current batch. Run one in hydro range and one in soil range to compare the two. Maybe even a third bucket and let it float between 5.5 and 6.9 (slowly of course).

Thanks for the info :cool:

toothbrush?

Robin_of_Loxxy said:
ive been doing mine at 5.8 and they seem to be loving it!

I also use 5.8. My plants had these brown spots when I was at 6.2. I'm assuming this was due to a Calcium deficiency.

green_tea

quick question...

I have some Promix sitting around, could i use that? just give all the nutes time in there to be used then start using inorganic feedings?

Y

yamaha_1fan

dumb question probably but has anyone automated their hempy bucket using drippers, pumps etc? I guess that takes away the simplicity of the hempy bucket huh?