What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Garden Groom = A trimming machine for 3 pymts of $33 ???

BudGood

"Be shapeless, formless, like water..."
Veteran
Three words for you boys: Electric lawn mower.

Turn the bitch upside down, get a replacement grate for a square BBQ grill, hit the corners with a weld (or strapping or conduit tape and some screws) and you've got a trimmer with some serious power for $150.

PLENTY of suction, relatively cheap, easy to remove blade for sharpening/cleaning.

Just seems like a no brainer. If suction, availability, and cost are your concerns, I think this route is better than modding out a garden groomer to make a half-assed trimmer with no suction when it's only going to save you maybe $50 and you'll end up spending 15min of out every trimming hour cleaning up and unclogging the thing because it has no suction.

Wow, nice idea! This is definitely a great idea folks! K+ bro!

Sounds way to small and weak weak..I have an Army surplus jet engine that I have been welding man hole covers over for the trim screen.

A man sized trimmer for my micro grow:sasmokin:

Pictures soon...

:laughing: :laughing: Show off! :laughing: :laughing:

I wonder how long it would last under the conditions on thc. I think it would gum up a little unless u cleaned it alot. Wonder if anyone will document 1 being used.

Bulldog11

Veteran
Yea! What's up with the reports on this one????? Nobody wants to report whether this worked or not? I would also be interested in the failure and why it failed if that is the case. I have decided to build a Do It Yourself and see how cheap I can make it. I am busy finishing a kitchen remodel right now but if I do build my own then I will make cut sheets showing everything I did to make the unit. Will still cost a lot but not no 15,000. Peace out.

SmokeyTheBear

Pot Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i trimmed all the fans leaves by hand. took about 10 minutes. trimming on the groomer took about 5 minutes. an hours worth of work turned to 15 minutes. my garden groom has been a great investment. i have duct tape on both triggers. just plug her in and away we go. the garden groom rests on it side while at work no problem. before i could really test it, i was kind of skeptical and was doubting its use. i was wrong though, works great.

Bulldog11

Veteran
wow!!! that doesn't look bad at all. Did it jam up a lot? What happen to all the trim? Did it just fall or did it blow all over? Good job and thanks for the review

SmokeyTheBear

Pot Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
wow!!! that doesn't look bad at all. Did it jam up a lot? What happen to all the trim? Did it just fall or did it blow all over? Good job and thanks for the review

no jamming at all. i have never saved the trim. i just give it to my friends old hippie dad and he makes hash. some of the trim went all over but the majority of it went in to the container. it's supposed to have a moderate type vacuum that sucks the leaves in.

Bulldog11

Veteran
So you did it without the vacuum attachment and most of the trim still stayed in a manageable pile? That sounds great! Did you have more problems with small nugs or did the grate you made work on all size buds?

SmokeyTheBear

Pot Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i feel that it will only work for bigger nugs. tiny buds i don't even trim. i just leave the leaves on and let the dry and trim by hand after.

Bulldog11

Veteran
Yea, I thought that might be the case. However, for around $100.00 this could be a great investment. I got an outdoor crop coming in that has a good amount of bigger nugs. This seems like it could save a good amount of time. Here is a pic for fun.

Attachments

• C-Frisian Dew week 14.4.jpg
    C-Frisian Dew week 14.4.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 26
  • A-Frisian Dew week 15.3.jpg
    A-Frisian Dew week 15.3.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 28
M

medi-useA

I was reading this thread and got to thinking about the suction problem mentioned...The grate that comes with it has 10 segments...I was wondering if you replaced the grate with a solid piece of something-or-other with slots cut into it the equivalent size of the two largest segments, would the suction increase enough by restricting the airflow to suck the leaves into the slots to be trimmed?

just spitballin'...

muA

N

noone4u

not sure if theres still a suction issue but i have an idea!

mount a good fan in a box with a screen over it.

Now cut a hole in the box and put a tube PVC or whatever and hook it up to the tube coming from the trimmer!

DONE

Creates what should be a good amount of vacume and all your trim goes in the box

N

noone4u

not sure if theres still a suction issue but i have an idea!

mount a good fan in a box with a screen over it.

Now cut a hole in the box and put a tube PVC or whatever and hook it up to the tube coming from the trimmer!

DONE

Creates what should be a good amount of vacume and all your trim goes in the box

My micro grow box tells me this will work LOL

AKDrifter

TOO COOL!!!

I have been waiting for something like this to pop up. I really wanted a spinpro for my small set up, But this thing looks like it would be just the ticket.

It really is too bad that the people who came up with many of the available trimmers are looking to make a killing off their machines, I mean look at what is involved in their construction, I am quite sure more goes into a high end food processor which costs much less. Yep I am going to get me one of these babys, I think it would be a huge time saver.

They look like the perfect start of a grest little trimmer. I was wondering about the 300/500W versions. I would guess the Pro version would be a little more stout in its construction. I am thinking about taking it apart and building a housing for it out of some large PVC tube, with an added port for a small shop vac to hook up to, a ghetto frestanding trimmer but for like $5K less. I have a pile of ideas on this one.

Thanks for the links, pics, and ideas!!

gmanwho

Veteran
I am so happy i saw this thread.... so happy.

Medi usea... i was thinking the same thing a few pages back. covering up even the top 1/2 of the area would work. u could even use duct tape. jb weld an some coat hanger wire and your in business.

B-safe

Jungle Jayne

I bought the garden groom on Ebay for $85 after reading this thread [thanks!]and it arrived today. I think the answer to grill/grate is to get a 9" cake cooling rack and glue on with legs facing up. Looks pretty easy to create a short sleeve and attach to a vacuum wand with duct tape instead of using enclosed cloth hose and receptacle bag, whose sleeve is affixed with a velcro strip. I'll give that a try tomorrow and see how the suction is.
Hope I have better luck with this menacing blade than the saran wrap cutter.

Jungle Jayne

Couldn't find 9" round grate to fit perfectly so got a larger square one and used glue gun to attach. Modified with 2.2 hp vacuum-cut hose to 1 1'2 ft. and gorilla taped to mouth of ocean spray juice bottle. Bottle was attached to opening on GG by cutting out side, a little smaller than GG opening. I cut 4 corner slits 1/4", mounted and taped. Slightly less trim flying around but still not enough suction. Grate works well.

Frogger

Hi guys anyone seen the video on YouTube for the diy trimpro by jeff something? Very cool and very simple to make.