What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Garden Groom = A trimming machine for 3 pymts of $33 ???

P

Peat

picture.php

I like unscrewing ALMOST as much as screwing! :yoinks:

Lil' background:
I was simply taking off the grill. No problem.

But, the center screw just kept spinning...:wallbash:
I thought that maybe there was a nut that needed wrenching. :crazy:
(Pun intended)

To make a loooong story short, taking the machine apart is not required!

All I had to do is to push down on the grill to create enough friction to stop the spinning. so, that the screw can easily back out. :joint:

I learned this trick when putting it back together.
BTW, all the screws go into plastic. (except the center one on the guard)
Somehow I didn't strip anything out ...enough to notice...

Well, almost anything...
SHARPNESS TEST
picture.php

:yes: Yep. It works.

I thought that by now, I'd surely flow green! :badday:

...my trimmer & I are one, now...:abduct:

picture.php

OK
So, this is what I'm going for.
But, this is as far as I'm going today.

Gotta get some washers tomorrow and "do" the 6 screws on the perimeter...

:lurk:

Last edited:

LiLWaynE

I Feel Good
ICMag Donor
Veteran
very fucking excellent... now you need to trim a bud for us and show us what its capable of!

you deserve an award!

iGro4Me

The Hopeful Protagonist
Veteran
I'm liking what I'm seeing Peat :yeahthats

Without having it right in front of me (I'm a hands-on, need to touch) I'm thinking you may do a "slotted" side i.e. remove a few squares of the chicken wire, on one side for different size access(?) to different sized/shape buds maybe ?

Dude, about the finger....Thanks for taking one for the team :nanana:

Looks good so far bro, I think that you're on the right track :joint:

Looking good.....cept for that finger :)

Yeah plastic parts is what I was worried about...I prolly woulda stripped a screw by now...

Agree about opening one side up....

So is that additional screening on there fitting flat up against the stock grill, and thus very close to the blade????

How/Where does it trigger? I hope not on that big grey loop handle...I want to take that part off for easier mounting....

Dude this is gonna work out for sure...

iGro4Me

The Hopeful Protagonist
Veteran

Yeah plastic parts is what I was worried about...I prolly woulda stripped a screw by now...

Agree about opening one side up....

So is that additional screening on there fitting flat up against the stock grill, and thus very close to the blade????

How/Where does it trigger? I hope not on that big grey loop handle...I want to take that part off for easier mounting....

Dude this is gonna work out for sure...

I looked at that too SG, I was thinking a simple inline on/off switch for the power a lil' further down the line maybe ?

Ahh sh!t, the cord is short....maybe add a little ?

Just thinkin out-loud here.... :joint:

P

Peat

Lil Wayne said I deserve a medal...
Purple Heart, maybe???

...mostly... The proof will be in the trim job...probably some tweaking to do, tho...

I thought about putting the hardware cloth underneath the grill, but that put it too close to the blade & pevented the gaurd from seating correctly.

I looked at just going with the HC alone. Without the grill.
But, the center screw appears to need the grill...
And, it didn't make much of a difference, anyway.

So, I just went with putting the HC on top of the grill.
And, that seems to work the best. ...so far...

There are two triggers.
One on each of the big loops. The grey pieces are the triggers.
A "safety" trigger, and a "run" trigger.

They look easy enough to relocate.
...probably not much need for the "safety" trigger in our application...

But, for now, I'm thinking I'll just put velcro straps around the handles to hold the switches...or, maybe just the "safety ", & manually operate the other...depends...

If you look at my disassembly pic, you can see the motor, belt, and the cutter head.
That's really all ya need...

P

Peat

I looked at that too SG, I was thinking a simple inline on/off switch for the power a lil' further down the line maybe ?

Ahh sh!t, the cord is short....maybe add a little ?

Just thinkin out-loud here.... :joint:

Yeah, iGro,
the cord is around 12", it seems. LOL
The manual says to get an extension cord. :jerkit:

There are two triggers.
One on each of the big loops. The grey pieces are the triggers.
A "safety" trigger, and a "run" trigger.

They look easy enough to relocate.
...probably not much need for the "safety" trigger in our application...

But, for now, I'm thinking I'll just put velcro straps around the handles to hold the switches...or, maybe just the "safety ", & manually operate the other...depends...

My plan A was to use spring clamps or locking pliers......plan B was to take apart and rig... Think plan A will work?

P

Peat

Yeah SG, "Plan A" would probably work. But, locking pliers might be overkill, lol.

I don't reccommend taking it apart.

It's already a trimmer.

Thanks HGO! Stay tuned!

I think you're onto something, smalltymer...:chin:
It's not loud at all...I haven't plugged it in, yet. :redface:

Well, I didn't get to my hardware supplier today...must be something I smoked...

I'm very busy this week, so the trimmer is kind of back burner...but, well within reach.
...maybe tomorrow...:confused:

L

LolaGal

DickBlick dot com has some different mesh that might be what you are looking for.

There is a whole page of different kinds, sizes, etc.

There is one in particular that looks interesting a New Crafter's Mesh that has the mesh lined up in rows like an oven rack.

Item # C33408-1170 It's a traditional woven stainless steel mesh that can be bent or molded to create a structural grid.

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
Dude, about the finger....Thanks for taking one for the team :nanana:
What gave you the impression it was his finger?

And as far as the grates are concerned:
Gro's suggestion about removing a few squares to accommodate different sized shaped buds is a good one. You may be able to have one sized square as your largest aperature...and then just put another layer of smaller squares on one side.....half and half it like bifocals.....one side small access, the other full sized squares. I'd keep playing with it.....it's definitely got the basics that a trimmer would need....and you've saved major bucks in the process. Well worth the experiment.

P

Peat

Cool link, lola. Thanks!
The crafters mesh looks like 1/4" hardware cloth. (I didn't see the hole size)

But, it's stainless steel!
...maybe a future upgrade?

Last edited:
P

Peat

Yeah accessndx, I've been thinking about that.
Thanks for laying it out like that.

Earlier, Lola suggested something like attaching something to the GG that the grill would mount to....allow for changing out diff grills without stripping the GG plastic threads...

&
LOL
FWIW, I never said it was my finger!

They could re-market the GG as a Home Circumcision Kit! :yoinks: