What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Flavor Vanishes

igrowone

Veteran
we've seen these stories of flavor going AWOL during the dry/cure process
and often will get written off as they didn't know how to dry/cure
now I don't claim to be a master, but I have scarcely ever had a bad experience with the dry/cure outcome
the very few I've run into I'd put down to genetics, not all cannabis is tasty
so my deal is I just had(past tense) a bubblegum pheno pop out
taste faded as it dried
I tracked it day by day, drying conditions were good
my belief is that it was a terpenoid that breaks down without the continuous replacement by a living metabolism
anyone else have an elusive flavor that vanished in the night?

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Sometimes that happens but it should still have the original smell when broken up with your fingers or grinder. If one lets the Trichomes dry too much or too fast it can sometimes affect the smell.

Also, the type of trichomes can make a big difference because of their diverse structure and functions. Examples are hairs, glandular hairs, scales, and papillae are different in shape and texture. If the weed still gets you high it should be ok.

browntrout

Veteran
That's not uncommon for certain strains, like creeperpark said there should still be a decent helping of the original smell going through the cure.

I've only ever had issues losing smells/tastes with excess moisture. keeping things on the drier side has always helped me. Keeping your bud in moisture rich environments is quick way to lose smell and taste imo.

I dry whole plants hung for 3 weeks+ starting from 55-60% humidity working down to 40%. Trim, let dry a day, seal, open, seal, open, seal then storage. It's very rare in my opinion to have plants that actually benefit from a curing event while holding moisture.

Tell us more about your conditions.

browntrout

Veteran
Also, Bubblegum terps are known to be finicky i feel. I had a Indiana Bubblegum S1 seed pheno that grew and looked like an old clone, it had the smell to a medium degree but lost it mid dry.

igrowone

Veteran
many thanks for much information, always amazed at the depth of knowledge here
I fear the excess moisture may have nailed on the head
initial drying temperatures may have been too low, can't give exact number since buds been moved to a new area
maybe 50 degrees with RH of 20%
I'm doing a guerrilla grow at my home, took in a family member who hit hard times(what can you do?)
partly heated grow room at the moment
the nose is very good, hasn't changed much
a reveg is under way, quite determined to run this one again(and again) until I unravel the mystery

linde

Rare to find anything with strong pungent flavor anymore. Hell the Runtz is about the only strain I've smoked recently with any kind of pungent flavor right thru the roach. Back in the 80s and 90s everything had great flavor. Too much breeding has destroyed it.

igrowone

Veteran
@gmanwho shared this in @negative37dBA getting off the bottle thread. https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acsomega.1c04196

Also what!? 50 degrees at 20%rh!?!? That’s crazy, and I would put that stuff in a big jar right away and gas and purge if that’s the temps and humidity you’re working with. As soon as the outside gets crispy jar it and work the moisture out multiple times a day with gas and purge
yeah, that's not ideal, I had an odd situation
and it's been repaired as best I can, 61% at 75 degrees in the jar
I didn't dare bring it inside because it would have smelled up the house, stealth was needed

TrainingHay

Well da terps are obviously evaporating:
20231220_022152.jpg

My question to whoever affirmed this "dab temp chart"; why does my bong always smell like sweet black pepper when I rinse the water out every morning, and never like terpinolene, linalool, or ocimene? I think we all know pepper is the most basic of terps left when you really screw up your weed. Why is the cannabis propaganda so bad??

Most modern weed flavors are the result of re-esterfication of free carboxylic acids. The industry will tell you the bubblegum pheno of Cannabis is a mix of various essential oil terpenes but I've smelled it in the microbe lab too often for it to be a specific patented man-made complex mix of anything.

Some say ethyl 2 methyl butanoate is the bubblegum weed smell. Some say methyl cinnamate. Bubblegum is yet another aroma that many influential people simply pretend to grasp. It's probably benzyl acetate. Jasmin is known to produce lots of benzyl alcohol, it could be a jamsonic pathway product. Could be a deliquescence/hydrolysis issue. Acetate could be the limiting factor. Acetyltransferase could be the limiting factor. Most bud since the OG era is remarkably better with exogenous acetic acid applications. Grow forums will tell you "vinegar kills weed". Tell that the the oz syringe next to my watering jugs, and to the humidifier res fogging my plants.

It's probably just bad breeding. Ultimately, it is. If you buy a chainsaw and flood it, you take it back to the shop and make them show you how to start the thing without flooding it. The cannabis breeder, upon your failure, always blames the grower rather than helping you grow their shit.

purpleplayer007

I hear you. Runts and its cousins (skittles, gelato) have that skunky loud flavor from the bud to the roach. Theres some other ones, obviously og or sour d, but i think theres a lot of pheno hunts going on right now so theres alotta bland phenos that get sold that look 10/10 but have no taste.

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
nothing bland about Durban Poison…..peppery anise licorice just screams

the Triangle kush has some loud lemon pledge aromas

for some dank earthy chocolate coffee flavors try the p98 bubba kush or the ogers

igrowone

Veteran
time to update: where did the taste go?
the story isn't all bad, some taste has returned
probably never left since initial samplings were with smaller/popcornish buds
just tried some of the larger, bubblegum remains in a reduced form
might even be pretty decent but the potency is on the high side, small vape bowls
but really a shadow of what it was
and that was a taste that lasted to the last draw, never had a taste that came close to this
if I had bought this I would have thrown it out because I would have thought it had been soaked in synthetic flavors and probably a health risk

Latest posts

Latest posts