What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Crap I Have to Deal with...

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
It is my terrible misfortune to have to care for and/or see this stuff.

Delicate and rare, like the pink ladyslipper...

picture.php

...or the eerily attractive lunar moth...

picture.php

...sunrises...

picture.php

...jubilant explosions...

picture.php

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
dude,i feel for yah...i got all these bloody hummingbirds hanging around as if i had planted stuff just for them,nervy little beggers....bloody cheeky nature with all its intrinsic beauty...im of half a mind to get really baked and sit someplace and appreciate it...that will show it!

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
I got stuck watching one of those greedy sap suckers today - floating around the bees balm... sticking its beak in where it doesn't belong.

Ya, Unc! I think all of us should partake and dare nature to awe us.

That's right, nature... you heard me... I dare you to take my breath away and silence my mind!

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
Oh... and you know whats even worse than that? On the clearest days, I can see 100+ miles of mountains that I immersed myself in wasting vacation time after vacation time. Weeks! Some of it 2 or 3 times!

All the mornings, out in the wild, when I could have slept in... But, oh no - not me. I had to go scrambling over some rock outcropping in near darkness, smoke a spliff, and watch the sun paint the world.

Im such a moron.

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
THAT is 1 fantastic pic, CC! Stunning... shame on me for mine. It did look great on my dumbphone screen at the time.

Any pics of white ladyslippers? Are you familiar with rattlesnake plantain?

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
Nice! Took my sis on a hike a few years ago so she could take some nature shots, we came across 2 huge patches of whites. Most had started to pass, but there were a few pristine specimens.

Rattlesnake plantain is a wild orchid that grows here - not really a plantain at all, think hostas. Grows a 6" spike with a couple dozen flowers, which are maybe a cm across, completely covering the top half.

Last edited:

Marco61

Oh... and you know whats even worse than that? On the clearest days, I can see 100+ miles of mountains that I immersed myself in wasting vacation time after vacation time. Weeks! Some of it 2 or 3 times!

All the mornings, out in the wild, when I could have slept in... But, oh no - not me. I had to go scrambling over some rock outcropping in near darkness, smoke a spliff, and watch the sun paint the world.

Im such a moron.

Sq Root (Eye Height above surface / 0.5736)

That is how far you can see on a clear day. Say you are 6ft tall, eye level is at 5 1/2 ft, but you are standing 1,000 feet above sea level.

sq root (1,005.5 / 0.5736) = 41.9 miles.

Meaning you can see 41.9 miles before the curve of Earth prevents you from seeing further.

Hummingbird told me this. Thought I'd share.

Space Toker

Veteran
well I appreciate all nature, all kinds of domesticated flowers and wild nature as well. I have to say I love hummingbirds and all birds and all nature for that matter but especially birds! The hummies or humsters as I call them come to one of 3 feeders and flowers as well. The males fight with each other and yet they are always gong to the feeders except as of late and I am dismayed but still see them. I am amused by their U or horse-shoe dance as I call it, where they wizz about in a u shape pattern to impress or deter. they are great in my opinion. we are all both kind and humnle and aggressive/out for our own interests and they are no different. Go hummies! :)

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
What a terrible thread!

I agree whole-heartedly. I should put an end to this travesty ASAP! However, as it appears that I am a glutton for punishment, I will continue.

Made me chuckle out loud, by the way. Thanks bud. :biggrin:

Sq Root (Eye Height above surface / 0.5736)

That is how far you can see on a clear day. Say you are 6ft tall, eye level is at 5 1/2 ft, but you are standing 1,000 feet above sea level.

sq root (1,005.5 / 0.5736) = 41.9 miles.

Meaning you can see 41.9 miles before the curve of Earth prevents you from seeing further.

Hummingbird told me this. Thought I'd share.

Well Im not sure of the elevation, but I am at the highest point of land locally, and I am looking out over lowland and foothills. Neither am I looking 100 miles out in a straight line, nor do the ridgelines and ranges stretch out in a straight line ahead of me. I am seeing them side to and they follow a sweeping curve. I am on the concave side of that curve.

Im not the least bit surprised a hummingbird would try to discredit me so. They surely have it out for me. Just yesterday one distracted me so much that I had to relight my joint over and over again.

They thwart my every attempt at photograghing them. I had to settle for this hummingbird moth.

picture.php

B

BrnCow

And there sat Bill, naked, singing up on the windmill....well it is close!

Gelado`

Veteran
I saw a hummingbird twelve stories above street level...or at least something that looked like one. Beautiful. The thing is, I was in Southeast Asia, and there aren't supposed to be any hummingbirds there...

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
there was a pretty friendly one in the garden this morning,i dont think it was more than a foot from my face,hung out for 20 seconds or so,just long enough to say "dude,thanks for the hummingbird buffet garden"

Kalbhairav

~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~
Veteran
An outrageous travesty to have to gaze upon such things in this day and age. I feel for you all and the gross amount of natural splendour that bombards your weary eye sockets..

I suppose I'll have to add a little something of my own..

:)