What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Buzz On Biochar In Peat-Moss Based Media Mixes

pjlive

After digging in to the details as much as possible over the short term, I've decided to go forward with a test. I'll be using inoculated biochar on at least one plant starting my next grow(s).

I have hickory and oak available to me, so I'm planning on making my own biochar from those woods using an outdoor fire pit. I also intend to inoculate the produced char with goat feces and urine. If I can't get my hands on enough goat urine I can use cow or rabbit urine. I have access to fox urine, but anyone who has ever worked with it knows how mad pungent it is so I'd like to avoid it. I'd probably use my own urine before fox urine (laughs). Supplemental microbes will be included with a little sugar kelp and a little blue-green algae. This concoction will be mixed with water, fed with coconut palm sugar then allowed to inoculate and propogate in darkness for at least two weeks prior to draining and incorporation into my pot medium.

It'll be a while for me to finish my current grow. I also have to finish up some bs life and physical therapy garbage but I don't think either of those kinks will slow me down by the time I get to it.

I'm excited to see if the addition of active biochar in a soilless medium will enhance my final product.

Last edited:

pjlive

Hey, @Douglas.Curtis, thank you very much for all your likes and show of interest on this topic. If you are thinking about doing your own experimentation with biochar in a soilless media set-up, please, please, please feel free to relay your info here or via any method of your choice. This is going to be brand new to me (I have, of course, used biochar in soil but never even thought about its use in indoor soilless media until recently) so I'll welcome all thoughts, especially from seasoned cannabis growers such as yourself.

It'll be a bit before I'm out of the gate. But, when the time comes I'll post to this thread pics of my biochar make-up and assembly for brewing.

Just want to make sure I'm tossing in here that I'm wide open to discussions on the process.

And thanks very much once again.

PJ

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Hey thanks for posting this up, it's a great subject which is only beginning to be really explored. :) At the moment I'm getting my sea legs with soil the last couple years, but I'm planning on working with organic hydro at some point. This biochar media angle sounds very interesting and I'll be watching. :)

F2F

Don’t have anything super valuable to add, but will say I used bio char for the first time last season. I purchased locally, it was pre charged via ~10% EWC if I recall correctly.

I think it really helped the effectiveness of my top dress of flowering nutes based on the end product. This was outdoors, in-ground plot prepped with ~50% promix, 10% perlite.

(Edit: I use Foxfarm Marine Cuisine (veg) and Cavern Culture (flower), both are purportedly chock full of bennies.)

Peace
F2F

Last edited:

pjlive

Don’t have anything super valuable to add, but will say I used bio char for the first time last season. I purchased locally, it was pre charged via ~10% EWC if I recall correctly.

I think it really helped the effectiveness of my top dress of flowering nutes based on the end product. This was outdoors, in-ground plot prepped with ~50% promix, 10% perlite.

(Edit: I use Foxfarm Marine Cuisine (veg) and Cavern Culture (flower), both are purportedly chock full of bennies.)

Peace
F2F
Thank you!

Reactions: F2F

pjlive

Hey thanks for posting this up, it's a great subject which is only beginning to be really explored. :) At the moment I'm getting my sea legs with soil the last couple years, but I'm planning on working with organic hydro at some point. This biochar media angle sounds very interesting and I'll be watching. :)
Sounds good. Thanks!

MrBreeze911

After digging in to the details as much as possible over the short term, I've decided to go forward with a test. I'll be using inoculated biochar on at least one plant starting my next grow(s).

I have hickory and oak available to me, so I'm planning on making my own biochar from those woods using an outdoor fire pit. I also intend to inoculate the produced char with goat feces and urine. If I can't get my hands on enough goat urine I can use cow or rabbit urine. I have access to fox urine, but anyone who has ever worked with it knows how mad pungent it is so I'd like to avoid it. I'd probably use my own urine before fox urine (laughs). Supplemental microbes will be included with a little sugar kelp and a little blue-green algae. This concoction will be mixed with water, fed with coconut palm sugar then allowed to inoculate and propogate in darkness for at least two weeks prior to draining and incorporation into my pot medium.

It'll be a while for me to finish my current grow. I also have to finish up some bs life and physical therapy garbage but I don't think either of those kinks will slow me down by the time I get to it.

I'm excited to see if the addition of active biochar in a soilless medium will enhance my final product.
I am going to be making a biochar pyrolizer out of a 55 gallon drum I have. I wonder if innoculating it with urine alpaca manure and fish/kelp liquid 2-3-1 by gs plant foods. It's hard to find good info on biochar sometimes, but I think it's worth a try. I live near almond farms in Gold Country, CA so I am looking in to using nut hulls (ag waste product) as input. If not, I could use it for compost carbon. Also, does it sound okay to foliar feed some 2-3-1 on my preflowering outdoors plants tonight at dusk?

clearheaded

hmm, so the idea is, burn wood, release co2, release micros sugars and nitrogen, than add back nitrogen and micros/sugars...seems like over complicating the natural process of compost lol... again the ONLY purpose of this is to use waste or get carbon in virgin ground. how much extra effort u go to to maybe get more space for microbes? does a half composted piece of wood actively feeding the microbes not give enough life to the soil? lol. yes use ur fuel waste but DONT burn wood just for biochar! bad for the planet and making more work for urself just to find out u didnt "charge" it enough. if have a gasifier and burn wood for fuel awesome. but please dont go burning logs just to make biochar. compost some wood or flax or hemp straw, PLENTY of spaces for microbes. was developed only as solution to use waste product, break new ground to get organic material quickly into the earth. yes the more additives and carbon u add to soiless medium closer it is to soil ;) and yes closer to results of soil.. this isnt rocket science people. 2 more years till fad fades and folks speak more about how much extra harm to enviro its causing. ever heard of slash and burn agriculture? sound familiar?

pjlive

hmm, so the idea is, burn wood, release co2, release micros sugars and nitrogen, than add back nitrogen and micros/sugars...seems like over complicating the natural process of compost lol... again the ONLY purpose of this is to use waste or get carbon in virgin ground. how much extra effort u go to to maybe get more space for microbes? does a half composted piece of wood actively feeding the microbes not give enough life to the soil? lol. yes use ur fuel waste but DONT burn wood just for biochar! bad for the planet and making more work for urself just to find out u didnt "charge" it enough. if have a gasifier and burn wood for fuel awesome. but please dont go burning logs just to make biochar. compost some wood or flax or hemp straw, PLENTY of spaces for microbes. was developed only as solution to use waste product, break new ground to get organic material quickly into the earth. yes the more additives and carbon u add to soiless medium closer it is to soil ;) and yes closer to results of soil.. this isnt rocket science people. 2 more years till fad fades and folks speak more about how much extra harm to enviro its causing. ever heard of slash and burn agriculture? sound familiar?
Well, aside from being able to use what would otherwise be a waste product for large scale hydroponics, there's also a big added potential benefit to replace peat moss entirely. That would be huge and would still not utilize soil, plus could be reused indefinitely. Those are just some surface benefits. You should read up on it a little more. There's a lot changing with its use.

And sure, slash-and-burn agriculture has been around forever. But the use of biochar in the instance here isn't that at all and has numerous usage applications from enhancing the microbial spectrum of a media to minimizing the use of synthetic nutrients and their runoffs.

goingrey

Well like @pjlive touched on, there's environmental impacts to other media as well like. Wood could be composted to replace peat moss to save the bogs I guess but not to replace perlite or burnt clay or whatever.

Sure, even better if the heat from making it can be put to good use. Either at home for cooking/heating or industrially.

MrBreeze911

You should not be producing actual smoke when creating biochar in a pyrolizer or gasifier.

MrBreeze911

Well like @pjlive touched on, there's environmental impacts to other media as well like. Wood could be composted to replace peat moss to save the bogs I guess but not to replace perlite or burnt clay or whatever.

Sure, even better if the heat from making it can be put to good use. Either at home for cooking/heating or industrially.
Hydrafiber is another cost effective sustainable replacement for peat moss.

pjlive

Dude, what about a rock dust, peat, hydrafiber, biochar soilless grow medium? Damn I love experiments
In my opinion all of these alternative additions are valid. For me, it all depends on the grower and what their goals are.

I've been down hydrafiber, lava rock, vermiculite, and natural clay chips routes and don't use any of those any longer. But I see benefits to all of them when used in combination with other appropriate pot components.

I'm gearing up to go right in deep with biochar starting on my next grows. But, given my past odds, am more likely to dis it than kiss it. But, that's not my hope. My hope is that I'll be able to do one very specific thing using biochar: enhance the diversity and propagation of microbial life in a peat based pot thereby improving overall scent and taste. I'm not interested in improving yield. If biochar does not improve yields for mass producers, it's certainly not going to improve the yields of my residential micro grows.

One of my theories is to try anything if I think my plants might benefit. In this case, not only my plants stand to possibly benefit but I might also be able to make a better contribution to adhering to more environmentally soft growing practices. I feel like the more popular home grows become, the more likely it will be under attack by the environmental activist communities. If possible, it will be nice to be proactive on some of their gripes and prepared to respond in my own, active, way.

pjlive

You should not be producing actual smoke when creating biochar in a pyrolizer or gasifier.
You're right. It's the mass produced biochars that are in question here. Some mass biochar producers (large quantity, pre-inoculated, charged and stabilized) are trying to harness every possible use both in the manufacturing process and use of it.

xet

Does anybody have any good biochar oven designs or instructions? I have a bunch of steel 55 gal drums here.
biocharbarrel.png

Roughly what I recommend.
The yellow is everywhere there is a cut or a hole.
The green is the top 1/3 of a 2nd barrel with the lid kept on. Make those cuts so you can flare out metal tabs that allow you to sit that barrel on top of the pink barrel.
Cut a hole in the center of the top of the green barrel and also use that tab method to make tabs which fold up and outward to put a smaller metal chimney on top.
Now stuff your barrel and stand back because you might get a 15' fighter jet stream of fire roaring out of that pipe like I do.
Also the as seen on TV thing is a joke.