What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

THAILAND LEGALIZES HOMEGROWS

rolandomota

Veteran
Start growing making those pure Thai seeds because you know its coming the indica and auto takeover

flower~power

~Star~Crash~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thai Weed in the 1970’s
8DAC479B-67AF-40CD-BA35-31CACDED2F08.jpeg
57BE67F9-3D7F-4316-8824-662096726104.jpeg
0073C255-8A0F-456B-891D-3DB2F5AD6905.jpeg

Slim Pickens

Veteran
"that register with the state to grow".

Always the caveat with governments....any government for that matter.

It's an improvement,but at the same time, an admission.

On edit part 2 😉 as @therevverend pointed out,I posted outdated links. Shoot,I'm not a noob to this stuff...I really do need to get my glasses updated. My apologies. :D

Still,it would be great if this could have a positive effect on the rest of SE Asia. A lot of those countries are ass-backwards on Cannabis.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Fantastic news! Last country I would have expected this from (well, maybe second last country). I might consider retiring there. Will definitely go there again once this covid crazyness dies down a bit. I hope they at least do something to preserve what's left of their genetics. :ying:

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/high-spirits-thai-stoners-celebrate-legal-weed-smoking-photos/

not sure its 100 % what the have just legalized or decriminalised ,
from that site above i find this i have added below in the bold lettering ...
i thought they already allowed medicinal use and growing ,
id like to see more of this news before i click my heels ...

The only exception, however, is that the THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) level of “extracts” produced from domestically grown weed will not be allowed to exceed 0.2%.

therevverend

Veteran
On edit:
Doing a quick search yielded more information. Seems to be some other interesting questions as well. One site will state 6 plants allowed,while another states 10. Also read that plants should be grown indoors..etc.

Also we should remember that this law does not allow for recreational. There is mention of selling the "bounty" to the government etc. Lots to consider,but it may lead to some serious improvements. It may even tend to drag other SE Asian countries along...albeit kicking and screaming.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sarabri...he-government/

Your link is for an article about their medical legalization, which happened back in 2017. I had that problem too, you need to find articles dated Jan 25 2021 to find information on this new law. I haven't seen plant limits listed yet under the new rules. In 2020 they legalized all parts of the hemp/marijuana plant except for seeds and buds. They also legalized cannabis products containing less then .02% THC, likely focusing on CBD production. These were all steps in the right direction, leading to this latest ruling. Besides the allowing of home grows they're also decriminalizing possession, making it a fine instead of jail time. Word is the health ministry, cops, and government officials are meeting to clarify what the laws will be and what will be enforced. It'll be 120 days before the laws take effect, meaning they'll have time to clarify exactly what's legal and what isn't. Right now it seems like rec is in a gray area, decriminalized but not 100% legal yet.

Basically what they've done is re-scheduled cannabis. It would be similar to the USA deciding to make cannabis a schedule 5 drug instead of a schedule 1 drug. Allowing home grows is also a huge step in the right direction. What's interesting is that if it was a government money grab, like in some American states, they'd be legalizing rec use but not allowing home grows. This is almost the other way around, leaving it so they can still harass and fine foreigners or people they don't like but allowing the local households to grow for themselves. To grow stuff for commercial purposes it additional licenses will be required.

https://abcnews.go.com/Internationa... measure is also,a major industry in Thailand.

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/thailand-gives-green-light-to-growing-cannabis-at-home/47290960

flower~power

~Star~Crash~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The question I’m thinking is there actually any “good” Thai genetics left in the entire country? They are likely to be growing imported genetics if they even get to that point

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Dutch help cannabis cultivation in Thailand

There is little speed in the Netherlands. But Dutch companies will already supervise the cultivation of medical cannabis in Thailand.

Even Thailand, which is known for its strict drug policy, is now allowed to grow medicinal cannabis. Knowledge company Delphy and greenhouse builder Bosman van Zaal have reached an agreement with the Thai cultivation company Cannabizta to get this cultivation off the ground in Thailand.
Increasing demand

Thailand does not seem the most obvious country for this cultivation, Jeroen van Buren of Delphy acknowledges. But the government has now approved 218 different formulas for cannabis and hemp in response to increasing demand from the medical and cosmetic industry.
Feasibility study

The agreement between the 3 companies means that a feasibility study must first be carried out. Interested investors do want a conclusive cost-benefit analysis. For example, a significant cost item is security. “But that is not necessarily that much stricter in Thailand than in other countries. Security of cannabis cultivation is also tightly regulated in European countries where we supervise projects, such as in Portugal," says Van Buren.

goingrey

The question I’m thinking is there actually any “good” Thai genetics left in the entire country? They are likely to be growing imported genetics if they even get to that point

Depends what you mean with good I suppose.

Four strains were recently added to some kind of national heritage list, so at least the authorities believe them to be indigenous.
  • Hang Kra Rog Phu Phan ST1
  • Hang Suea Sakon Nakhon TT1
  • Tanao Si Kan Khaw WA1
  • Tanao Si Kan Dang RD1
There is a study with some cannabinoid test results here View of Vol. 63 No. 3 (2021): July - September 2021 (tci-thaijo.org) but it is in the Thai language and I'm having trouble getting Google translate to work with the PDF file.

But if I understand this graph correctly the strains have a peak THC% of about 5-8%. Not super high.

Thai var THC pc.PNG

Strangely the English abstract suggests they found the highest cannabinoid concentrations in the leaves of immature plants - not flowers of mature plants? Could be a translation error for the abstract though.

flower~power

~Star~Crash~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What I mean is that the strongest marijuana I ever smoked came from Thailand (in the early 1980s on the East coast of USA) was known as Buddha Thai , or some people called Chocolate Thai ..

goingrey

What I mean is that the strongest marijuana I ever smoked came from Thailand (in the early 1980s on the East coast of USA) was known as Buddha Thai , or some people called Chocolate Thai ..

Ah yes, the mythical Thai weed of old. I never had the pleasure. But the stories live on.

In this interview of ex-smuggler Mike Ritter he says even you missed out and the best stuff was before 1977 (at around 30 minutes in the video):

Hopefully the best varieties still exist somewhere and can be brought back into the spotlight with increasingly sensible laws.

Personally I have high hopes for ACE's recent Thai release.