What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thai weed grown from bagseed near Ching Rai (3 phenos)

Finepointcanon

Veteran
(This is crossposted from "Landraces" and "Dried and Cured Buds and Stash")

Hey dudes!

This stuff is from Chiang Rai. All I know about it is that my friend's friend grew it from seeds he found. To me it seems like 3 phenos of the same strain, but I have no way of being sure. They have very similar flavors, but they've only been dry for about 3 weeks. A lot of the weed from that area comes from Laos, so it could be a Lao variety originally.

"Sativa Pheno"

This one is the most typical sativa of the group in terms of effect and high.

Taste: I'm breaking up a piece right now so I'm getting a good idea of the smell. A mixture of varnish, spice and too-strong artificial mango/strawberry. I'm not exaggerating when I say that it smells incredible.

High: This is one of those plants that I can smoke, and after about 45 minutes I can forget that I'm high until something happens to remind me that I am, in fact, very high. It has a relaxing component, and it definitely elevates my mood consistently. One thing that I've noticed about this one is that every time I've smoked it I feel like dancing. Now I really like to dance, so it could be that it simply has the tendency to make one want to move their bodies in some way that flows for them. (I apologize for the pictures, I used my phone which is pretty old)

"Chunky Pheno"

When I first pulled this one out of the bag I thought that it must be an indica that the guy pulled early. I still think that it was pulled too soon based upon appearance and effects, but I'm more of the opinion that it's a sister plant to the other 2, more sativa leaning phenos. The taste is very similar; it has that same overpowering artificial mango / strawberry smell, but this one lacks the spice notes. Instead it has a hint of dankness or almost rotten fruit.

The high is purely calm. It gets me very high, but where the first pheno has a trippy, surreal feeling to it, this one simply makes me feel calm, relaxed and high. It does not have any noticeable sedative effects for me. It seems to cause a lack of inner dialogue sometimes.

"Sticky Pheno"

This one I like. I bought the guy out when I picked this batch up. I asked him if it was finished already, and he thought for a minute, breathed heavily and walked into the back room to get this stuff.

I'm rolling a joint of it right now so this will be a live report.

Smell: Spicy with a hint of like under-ripe mango. This one is lacking the syrupy overly-fruity smell of the other 2.

High: Hold on a few minutes...

Ok, back in action! This one is a lot headier than the others. I feel that it's slowed me down a bit, but again in a calming, mentally stimulating way. A bit trance-like. No anxiety from any of these phenos in my experience. This is less intensely trippy than the others, but it still has a funny vibe.

Thanks for reading!

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
nice golden color to it. that city or region is near to Laos right? Mekong area, Kok river. sounds more like Laos weed. but I am no expert ahaha :D enjoy and thanks for sharing!!!

Finepointcanon

Veteran
nice golden color to it. that city or region is near to Laos right? Mekong area, Kok river. sounds more like Laos weed. but I am no expert ahaha :D enjoy and thanks for sharing!!!

Yeah, close to Laos and not far from Myanmar, but from what I understand most of the herb comes from Laos, harder stuff crosses over from Myanmar. Most of the commercial weed in Northern Thailand is grown in Laos, at least that's what my Thai friends tell me. In the south they say it comes from Cambodia. (great weed too!)

I've had stuff that was grown in one of the national parks near to Chiang Mai, it was much wispier even than this. I might have a picture...

fetch?photoid=18015537.jpg

Not the best pic but you get the idea. Kinda crazy story about that stuff; some of my friends made a camp (commune?) out in the jungle after covid basically bankrupted everyone out of the city. One day this very clean-cut guy in his 30s comes up with a huge sativa cola wrapped in newspaper and gives it to us. I was the only one there at the time, and my Thai was limited to "hello, 12345678910, thank you, and delicious!".

We worked out that he had many kilos of this particular stuff that he wanted to sell to us for a great deal. It was kinda weird, he was selling it by the wet kilo. I don't remember the price, but after drying it would have worked out to perhaps .25 to .30 USD per gram. I'm pretty sure he was police or military, not looking to bust anyone, but looking for a piece of what he thought was the action at our place. (There were parties out there sometimes) Unfortunately there was too much drug abuse at this place which led to infighting and the eventual demise of the camp, so there was not any action for this gentleman or anyone else lol.

Nobody liked this weed, it wasn't 'potent', but it was nice. You could do a bong and feel good without losing the ability to speak. (most people living at this place were using stimulants and smoking opium, so any uplifting sativa effects generally were seen as a lack of potency) The guy showed me a picture of the plant that the cola came from, it was like the size of a large shed, just gangling all over the place out in the jungle.

Last edited:

Finepointcanon

Veteran
Update on the sativa leaning pheno. After just a few weeks total in a jar it's lost most of it's syrupy fruit smell.

(There's a large difference between today and the last time I gave it a real good smell, about 4 days ago)

Now it smells nearly exactly like either varnish or paint thinner (it's been awhile since I've done any home repair, it smells like some petroleum based solvent or sealant) mixed with a dash of spice and what is now a mild scent of strawberry bubble gum. The fruit smell is still present, but where it was the dominant smell before, now it smells as though it's "drying off" or something, like the smell is fading and being taken over by the more sharp notes.

I'm about to light up and go water my tropical garden. I like to give my heliconias, diffenbachias, philodendrons etc a good soaking and misting at night, as this is the dry season in my region.

I'll pop back in a few minutes with an updated report on the effects of this pheno as it ages.

EDIT: This one is getting stronger. It has a more underwater feel to it now, like thoughts and movements seem to move in slow motion if that makes sense?

There is still no physical sedation, and the mood elevating effect is still present :) Only this time it seems to be easier to get lost in a daydream if the right music is playing or the right birds are singing.

Paranoia: It's difficult to imagine that this one would cause significant paranoia for a regular smoker. I nearly always smile and joke around more after smoking this plant. It has an aspect of empathy and joy from my very limited testing. Compassion maybe. It does seem to be getting stronger as it cures though, which is causing a more trance-like experience. That might be enough to surprise someone who's not familiar with this kind of weed. I love it :) This album has been a journey https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj5SD2zMivU&t=1228s

Taste: Still a bit harsh, I have no idea how it was grown. It smells better than it tastes at this time, but you can see the potential.

Is it done curing?my best batch came out dampy smelling. Not moldy but damp. A slow dry and good long cure will bring it out.

goingrey

Very cool to see that the brickweed seeds can be grown to make such nice buds.

You wouldn't happen to have any photos of the original brickweed would you?

Finepointcanon

Veteran
Paint thinner is the chemical smell part of at least one good haze trait.so its possible:kissass:

Actually I was mistaken about some pheno traits, as I got it all in a bag and separated the buds by sight basically.

The sativa pheno has the paint thinner electric lemon smell, the sticky pheno has the syrupy fruit smell, it's just that I couldn't tell the scraggly buds from the sticky pheno apart from the super sativa buds from the sativa pheno. With cure the smells and flavors are really coming into their own.

Finepointcanon

Veteran
Very cool to see that the brickweed seeds can be grown to make such nice buds.

You wouldn't happen to have any photos of the original brickweed would you?

Unfortunately I don't, but most of the brick around here looks fairly similar, just different shades of green/gold.

fetch?photoid=18030142.jpg

This is a brick from the Mekong River area. I have about 15 seeds from this one from a good friend. He loves it, and I trust his opinion about weed.

Attachments

• fetch?photoid=18030142.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 69
  • fetch?photoid=18030142.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 71

goingrey

Unfortunately I don't, but most of the brick around here looks fairly similar, just different shades of green/gold.

This is a brick from the Mekong River area. I have about 15 seeds from this one from a good friend. He loves it, and I trust his opinion about weed.

The difference in appearance between those beautiful buds and the pressed brick is quite striking. Very interesting to see, thanks for posting! I bet you'll find something magical in the seeds.

Finepointcanon

Veteran
Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?photoid=18042550.png Views:	1 Size:	471.8 KB ID:	18042578

Here's one of my friend's plants, the strain name is squirrel tail.

The weed is fantastic for me now. The sativa pheno is my favorite, but the sticky pheno is a close second.

The sativa pheno is like a warm cozy smiley buzz with a clear... or like pleasantly fuzzy but not impaired feeling. I find that I can articulate really nicely with this one, good for opening and connecting emotionally. Jokes too. This is the jar I reach for the most. At this point it smells kinda like several sativas that I've had in the past, like a lemon/petroleum based solvent/spice.

The sticky pheno is nearly identical to the sativa pheno in effect, but it has a bit more of a buzzy feeling to it. Just a bit more mentally intense. In theory I should like this one the best (I think I like trippy weed with a positive push) but the calming, positive, clear-headed effect of the sativa pheno won me over. It smells divine, like earthy fruit.

vtgirl

Yeah, close to Laos and not far from Myanmar, but from what I understand most of the herb comes from Laos, harder stuff crosses over from Myanmar. Most of the commercial weed in Northern Thailand is grown in Laos, at least that's what my Thai friends tell me. In the south they say it comes from Cambodia. (great weed too!)

I've had stuff that was grown in one of the national parks near to Chiang Mai, it was much wispier even than this. I might have a picture...

Not the best pic but you get the idea. Kinda crazy story about that stuff; some of my friends made a camp (commune?) out in the jungle after covid basically bankrupted everyone out of the city. One day this very clean-cut guy in his 30s comes up with a huge sativa cola wrapped in newspaper and gives it to us. I was the only one there at the time, and my Thai was limited to "hello, 12345678910, thank you, and delicious!".

We worked out that he had many kilos of this particular stuff that he wanted to sell to us for a great deal. It was kinda weird, he was selling it by the wet kilo. I don't remember the price, but after drying it would have worked out to perhaps .25 to .30 USD per gram. I'm pretty sure he was police or military, not looking to bust anyone, but looking for a piece of what he thought was the action at our place. (There were parties out there sometimes) Unfortunately there was too much drug abuse at this place which led to infighting and the eventual demise of the camp, so there was not any action for this gentleman or anyone else lol.

Nobody liked this weed, it wasn't 'potent', but it was nice. You could do a bong and feel good without losing the ability to speak. (most people living at this place were using stimulants and smoking opium, so any uplifting sativa effects generally were seen as a lack of potency) The guy showed me a picture of the plant that the cola came from, it was like the size of a large shed, just gangling all over the place out in the jungle.

How's the air quality down there?