What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thai from Chiang Mai

sativaman514

dubi..​

What is your experiences growing Thai Chiang Mai male? Do you remember how long did they took to spread pollen? Things are going pretty fast here... I expected more stretch and longer time for flower formation. He is sharing the tent with the Golden Tiger X A5 cross, any chance I can keep them together?

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi sativaman514 we selected through a good amount of pure Thai Chiang Mai males from different generations to produce this release, line was quite consistent even comparing plants from different generations, most of the males looked sexually firm in the first place, but many produced in late flowerin just a few hairs in some of the lower branches, those were removed from the open pollination, only the ones that were flowered till the end without showing hermie tendencies remained in the open pollination room.

To answer your question, i think they took at least 6 weeks of real flowering to start throwing pollen in big amounts (not just the first male preflowers).

sativaman514

I can see the day by day development. Vertical growth was limited to about 3-4 inches this week. Topping and training resulted in 4 main stems sharing Auxins and other growth hormones.
I don't have much experience with male but flower onset seems fast.He is a heavy drinker. I water everyday until just a little bit of runoff gets collected. I am getting at the limit of a 6L container.
Here he stands, at 2 weeks from flip, one week after firm sex identification

. IMG_2899.JPG IMG_2900.JPG IMG_2902.JPG IMG_2903.JPG

sativaman514

Less than a week has gone by, but this male Thai stud did some fast forward growing. Vertical growth really picked up and I had to raise the light and lower the plant. Pollen have started to drop noticeably. This is week 3 from flip.
I removed a few fan leaves were most pollen was falling, and installed two aluminium saucer and a wax paper to try to collect the most.
Collected pollen on pics was what had dropped on removed leaves.

IMG_2910.JPG IMG_2913.JPG IMG_2911.JPG IMG_2912.JPG axiom_swim_brief_01bd3b82-0a2f-4348-9bb8-9038bd8b6e60.jpg IMG_2915.JPG

Last edited:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
The Thai Chiag Mai may starts with wider leaves to later fully shown its pure sativa tropical traits .... beautiful pictures of the male in full bloom.

sativaman514

Thanks dubi!
Plant is still growing taller. I am seeing a few hair and a pom-pom top today. Sadly, he is showing some female flowers as well. But the real surprise is purple color on pollen sacs and pistils.
I'll might have to cut it down, even if he have some special characteristics. I know for profesional breeding using pollen from a hermed male is not doable, but do you think I can do anything with the pollen ?

IMG_2931.JPG IMG_2929.JPG IMG_2927.JPG IMG_2935.JPG IMG_2938.JPG IMG_2940.JPG IMG_2941.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2930.JPG
    IMG_2930.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 94
Last edited:

exoticrobotic

I know for profesional breeding using pollen from a hermed male is not doable, but do you think I can do anything with the pollen ?
Of course you can! Who's gonna tell you no? No one! Except you. And if you do, then no, no you can't.

Purely conjecture but maybe hermies exist in nature to preserve our vital medicine and this protective aspect helps preserve some rare qualities not readily experienced due to the years of people using non hermie pollen.

Some people say the best male is one showing resin. Does this mean a male that is showing certain female qualities to it, like maybe a hermie?

I hope any offspring are hugely potent for you.

:love:

exoticrobotic

Purely conjecture but maybe hermies exist in nature to preserve our vital medicine and this protective aspect helps preserve some rare qualities not readily experienced due to the years of people using non hermie pollen.

Some people say the best male is one showing resin. Does this mean a male that is showing certain female qualities to it, like maybe a hermie?

I hope any offspring are hugely potent for you.

:love:
And that they're not hermies themselves :giggle:

sativaman514

Male plant was kindly chop and hung to dry upside down, to collect most of it's pollen. As stated earlier, it seems hard to find a sexually stable male, so I will keep the pollen from previous run. Thai male plant showed great vigour, fast flowering, lots of pollen, purple colour and musky smell. Feels like a keeper. After all, this is a wild variety and like exoticrobotic explained, it is clear that hermaphrodism is a part of the genotype's survival traits.

Strong LED light panel where kept only a few inches away, like when growing with old school T5, and the plant never showed any type of light stress,

More Thai, more fun.

Going all in with this one. I am happy with the results and experience from growing a Thai Chinag Mai male. But it is time for some female(s). 4 seeds were kindly put in paper towel, under 2 sterilized saucer, for germination. In this run, I plan shorter vegetative time, and all male plant will be removed.

Thai Chiang Mai seems to grow taller all along the flowering cycle. I was chocked by how little nutrients the plant needed. *edit Hungry plant canibalized one fan leaf at a time, starting at the bottom, where wider blades leaves are.* Also by how little space it's roots needed. Plant grew at over 5ft high, in a 6 litre container, without rootbound signs. It is a slender, elegant thin Sativa plant that don't need a lot of square foot to grow happy. I can see 4 plants in a 4x4 if grown in small containers.

IMG_2945.JPG IMG_2946.JPG

Last edited:

exoticrobotic

It's funny how some of the strongest and most revered herb is well known for hermies. Thai, Zamal for example.

I've grown a few Zamals and all were stable females despite the fact that most males are reported to be hermie in that line. They were all potent and posessed something in the high that is missing in most hybrids.

herbgreen

Veteran
I really believe and I keep saying it...Grow the plants past opposite nodes

3-4 Alternating nodes is what you are looking for in a plant before switching to flower

Sativas take longer to reach maturity level and produce alternate nodes

I found some other sources see what other people say about it....

what is alternating nodes??​

How important is alternating nodes?​

Alternating nodes?​

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
i'm sorry to hear your Thai male showed a few pistils, i really liked the way he was flowering, this pic is really beautiful.
IMG_2941.JPG

This Chiang Mai strain has slight hermie tendencies but mainly on the male side, and usually just a few pistils in a lower branch.

imo effects, potency, quality are not related with sexual stability (at least there's no scientific proof stating so), but i could be wrong.

I always try to use parental plants as much sexually stable as possible when reproducing a landrace, and avoid any possible source of hermaphroditism unless there's no way to preserve a line.

Happy you are germinating more seeds ! ;) hope you find nice females to experience the experience the line and more parental plants to play with.

sativaman514

Dubi,
To me, you are the guru. I Love your work, and founding ACE 2-3 years ago have been a bless. And thank you for your kind words.
Thinking about how I can achieve sucess with these 4 seeds, I was thinking about light schedule. In Thailand, there is less than 2 hours of daylength between summer and winter solstices. Would you consider that this strain should be grown 12-12 from seeds to replicate natural environment?

Last edited:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks for your kind words @sativaman514 i'm far to consider myself a guru in any field, i'm just a hard working person taking a direction.
Yep, North Thailand (Chiang Mai- Chiang Rai area) is the farthest part of the country from equator, therefore has the most significant variation in photoperiod throughout the year.

Even when growing tropical sativa indoors, i like to provide them a bit of growth time and photoperiod so later when i switch to flower the plants feel it stronger, creating more flowering hormones. So you can perfectly start them with classic 18/6 photoperiod for growing stage if you want to speed up growth as much as possible, or if you prefer to replicate their native conditions then start the seeds with 14/10 or 13/11 photoperiod to later switch to flower with 11.5/12.5 photoperiod.

Buddler

Veteran
From what i understand about Thai it's more of an intersex thing quite common to get a few bananas late in flower or a few female pistols on male plants it's just trying to make sure it procreates itself as they flower for so long in the wild just what I've read about them . It's like trying to tame a tiger .:smoke:

Reactions: xet

sativaman514

A little update on these plants.

I had to leave home for a few days and sadly, 2 out of 4 did not make it. Only one to blame is me.

Well, it is what is is. Out of two, one is showing similar vigour seen on previous plant (male) but with less stretching. Could it be a fem? In the next 10 days pre flowers shall remain the secret =)

Second plant would be considered a runt one that is good for compost if this was a domesticated strain, but oy os not =) I am keeping it cause it might be one out of the 10%, that ACE talks about being more compact and robust. Time will tell.

Plants are grown in used soil from a previous grow. They need a little more K. Next watering will include some K sulfate.

Attachments

• IMG_2974.JPG
    IMG_2974.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_2972.JPG
    IMG_2972.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2973.JPG
    IMG_2973.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 59

sativaman514

One thing I see with this strain, is it seems hard to impossible to speed up sexual maturity while playing with light schedule to induce flowering mode.
These 2 plants have been under 11-13 for a month, and just starting to show alternated nodes. Still no pistils yet, but I am confident enough in the shape of pre flowers to call: These 2 plants are Female =) !!
One was toped and trained, and the smaller one was left to grow naturally so it can catch the other. It grew tall and lanky, I was really expecting a male. I've figured best thing I could at this point was an ambitious supercrop.
Maybe, maybe I will SCROG them... but I know once the SCROG is set, forget about transplant. And they would really benefit a final transplant after a first month of stretching and flowering.

IMG_2975.JPG IMG_2976.JPG IMG_2977.JPG