What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thai Chi

Greencedar

Flipped to flower Dec 6th 12/12 and then down to 11/13 when the buds showed up so they're around 7 weeks into flower.

I'm seeing 3 phenos. (TC1 and TC5) More broomstick in structure with dense foxtail type buds and little stretch. (TC2 and TC4) have more open bud structure and spear shaped buds with more stretch. (TC3) has more branched structure with rounder, dense buds that frosts up fast. Smells are awesome, Lemon/citrus and some deeper wood smells are showing up.

They were flowered from young clones except TC3 that had a few weeks in veg before flower and that one has some Kali China funk smells going on now. The more sativa looking ones are brighter with floral citrus smells but they are a ways off from harvest.

I'm using brand new migro LEDs this round and the room is 70F (21C) and 30%. I have a hard time getting the humidity up this time of year and have some leaf tacos going on from heat stress but the lights are fairly high and leaf surface temps are in the low 70f/21c deg range.

I've had similar issues with some Nap Jam and Kali China phenos in this VPD range. I'm going do a mono crop run of one of these TC in the summer and see how they do with more humidity.

Dubi, I have full control on my tent temps, should I drop the temperature or let it ride at 20deg? I should mention even with the stress I've never had any ace genetics pop bananas...

The Green Honduras Haze don't show any signs of stress and are closer to the lights.

Attachments

• TC1.jpg
    TC1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 168
  • TC2.jpg
    TC2.jpg
    937 KB · Views: 162
  • TC3.jpg
    TC3.jpg
    952.9 KB · Views: 159
  • TC4.jpg
    TC4.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 164
  • TCgroup.jpg
    TCgroup.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 172
Last edited:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Jasmine/orange blossom floral sounds like heaven. My purple pheno of Kali China had a tangerine/orange smell in mid-flowering; however, that divine smell disappeared very quickly. Also, the jasmine aromas you're referring to are probably what @dubi calls violets. This is also a trate of KC. If Thai Chi has a jasmine smell different to KC, I'm hooked.

difficult to speak about smells since i guess each person feels them different, but to me jasmine has a very bright, uplifting smell while violet petals smell is darker and calming. I bet they are used in aromatherapy in these 2 different ways.

Your Thai Chi young girl looks very healthy and vibrant! :D @Tranquilidade The shape and leaf traits have the hybrid look, but the light green color is very Thai, we will how she evolves once she is into flowering.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Flipped to flower Dec 6th 12/12 and then down to 11/13 when the buds showed up so they're around 7 weeks into flower.

I'm seeing 3 phenos. (TC1 and TC5) More broomstick in structure with dense foxtail type buds and little stretch. (TC2 and TC4) have more open bud structure and spear shaped buds with more stretch. (TC3) has more branched structure with rounder, dense buds that frosts up fast. Smells are awesome, Lemon/citrus and some deeper wood smells are showing up.

They were flowered from young clones except TC3 that had a few weeks in veg before flower and that one has some Kali China funk smells going on now. The more sativa looking ones are brighter with floral citrus smells but they are a ways off from harvest.

I'm using brand new migro LEDs this round and the room is 70F (21C) and 30%. I have a hard time getting the humidity up this time of year and have some leaf tacos going on from heat stress but the lights are fairly high and leaf surface temps are in the low 70f/21c deg range.

I've had similar issues with some Nap Jam and Kali China phenos in this VPD range. I'm going do a mono crop run of one of these TC in the summer and see how they do with more humidity.

Dubi, I have full control on my tent temps, should I drop the temperature or let it ride at 20deg? I should mention even with the stress I've never had any ace genetics pop bananas...

The Green Honduras Haze don't show any signs of stress and are closer to the lights.

Looking great there @Greencedar ;) they are getting exciting hehehhehe I did not have the chance to take a look to female 5 in your last update, but females 1 and 3 are very Kali China dominant ones, they are almost done with the hasplant indica colors, resins and look. Females 2 and 4 are not so much indica in the flower development, and so far are behaving more like a 50/50 sativa/indica hybrid. How would describe the smells of each one now they are more advanced ?

Yeah, you can definitely lower the min temps to 20ºC now in flowering. Most strains work great indoors within 20ºC (night)-25ºC (day) temp range. Some strains may yield more weight with slight higher temps, but resins and terpenes easily degrade with temps over 25ºC, so in my opinion best compromise between quality resins-terpenes and yield is between 20-25ºC.

MrHamilton

Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Wow! That's a VERY Thai dominant expression @MrHamilton :D
Hope she behaves well indoors, looks already well tamed :yes: well done, she will react much better under 11/13. Thanks for keep us updated!
Yeah she is being a good girl, but definitely showing her Thai side🥰 I am excited to watch her mature. Thanks again for providing us with these and all the other great genetics Dubi.

Greencedar

Looking great there @Greencedar ;) they are getting exciting hehehhehe I did not have the chance to take a look to female 5 in your last update, but females 1 and 3 are very Kali China dominant ones, they are almost done with the hasplant indica colors, resins and look. Females 2 and 4 are not so much indica in the flower development, and so far are behaving more like a 50/50 sativa/indica hybrid. How would describe the smells of each one now they are more advanced ?

Yeah, you can definitely lower the min temps to 20ºC now in flowering. Most strains work great indoors within 20ºC (night)-25ºC (day) temp range. Some strains may yield more weight with slight higher temps, but resins and terpenes easily degrade with temps over 25ºC, so in my opinion best compromise between quality resins-terpenes and yield is between 20-25ºC.
Thanks Dubi, very exciting indeed!

The Kali china phenos have turned a deep purple this week and I'm going to get the scope out and check the ripeness soon. They're looking wonderful and very near finishing.

The Kali china plant I grew last year had a lot of that meaty smell compared to these. These have the kali china spicey/hashy thing but with bright citrus/lemon and that metallic/glass cleaner smell. The Thai learners have more of the bright jasmine/lemon blossom and metallic smell and are a bit less earthy. I've smelt that glass cleaner/metallic smell in some commercial haze hybrids but this is the first time I've had it in the garden (this is my first thai). It's hard to describe, not strong ammonia, more fresh/clean and very interesting.

Greencedar

Lot's of purple happening with the KC phenos. This is a test run in a new tent with a new light so I had some issues dialing it in along the way (light is super powerful and I was a bit to heavy on the dimmer (not running CO2). Bright side is I was able to stress test these before picking a mom to run. They're quite forgiving. KC phenos are clouding up and amber is showing on the full light buds. They will be chopped this weekend I think. The aroma really developed this last week. Very complex, spicey, deep smells on the KC phenos. Exciting stuff!

Attachments

• TV4.jpg
    TV4.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 138
  • TC4_2.jpg
    TC4_2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 136
  • TC3.jpg
    TC3.jpg
    974.7 KB · Views: 134
  • TC3_3.jpg
    TC3_3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 126
  • TC3_2.jpg
    TC3_2.jpg
    814.9 KB · Views: 119
  • TC2.jpg
    TC2.jpg
    894 KB · Views: 127
  • TC1.jpg
    TC1.jpg
    948.4 KB · Views: 126
  • group.jpg
    group.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 135

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Despite some purple coloring in the older main leaves your Thai Chi girl @MrHamilton is phenotypically an all green Thai pheno (but tamed and good yielding indoors). What kind of scents are you getting now she is ripening ? Classic woody, spicy and lemony Thai ? Or more complex ?

Your seems to be an in the middle pheno @Tranquilidade showing obivious Kali China influence but flowers shape with more sativa influence and better flower/leaf ratio than straight Kali China does. How does she smell at this point ?

And congrats on your Thai Chi harvest :tiphat: @Greencedar harvest may need at least 2 months and half of curing to start to show all its qualities, please let us know your opinion once you are more familirized with them, it's going to be fun to experience and learn the differences on each female ;)

Last edited:

OZZ_

Veteran
Great work everyone there’s something beauties you guys are posting. Beautiful plants 😍😍😍

MrHamilton

Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Despite some purple coloring in the older main leaves your Thai Chi girl @MrHamilton is phenotypically an all green Thai pheno (but tamed and good yielding indoors). What kind of scents are you getting now she is ripening ? Classic woody, spicy and lemony Thai ? Or more complex ?
She is definitely a beautiful girl Dubi, thank you again for these excellent growing opportunities.
Her buds are really getting fat and are that nice tropical sativa structure that lets them breathe. I’m guessing they will firm up more as she ripens, but either way she’s making me drool already.
I’m terrible at describing what I smell, but so far she does have that fine wood smell with just a hint of lemon on a stem rub, and much more complex if I actually get into her.🫠🤯
She went into 12/12 on January 1, and was switched to 11/13 on January 22. Got a while to go.

MrHamilton

Veteran
winner@420giveaway
If you look past the rude PHxMalawi crowding into the middle, you can see she is putting out another fresh set of pistils. I don’t think the colas are going to fill in the whole length but they are going to be fat. Both the Thai Chi and the PHxM in the picture are about 4.5’ tall from dirt level, with PHxM still growing 🤤
EF63C5BF-D8E3-4F47-9E08-1EC4D302C2C2.jpeg

Stoneroller

Thai Chi fem on the right after one week from the first pistils. Left one is Panama x Bangi Haze fem. It is fun to look them side by side, and admire the different structure between the plants!

IMG_20230317_145540.jpg

I probably caused a slight pH issue and cal/mag imbalance by adding too much eggshells in the topdress, resulting into some symptoms that i relate to magnesium deficiencies. This seems to affect more the Pangi haze than Thai Chi. I have sprayed some epsom salts on the leaves to counter this, and it has been under control for now. Hopefully the soil will fix itself when time goes by, just gotta be careful with the Ca!

Tranquilidade

Thai Chi fem on the right after one week from the first pistils. Left one is Panama x Bangi Haze fem. It is fun to look them side by side, and admire the different structure between the plants!

View attachment 18820497

I probably caused a slight pH issue and cal/mag imbalance by adding too much eggshells in the topdress, resulting into some symptoms that i relate to magnesium deficiencies. This seems to affect more the Pangi haze than Thai Chi. I have sprayed some epsom salts on the leaves to counter this, and it has been under control for now. Hopefully the soil will fix itself when time goes by, just gotta be careful with the Ca!
These are very happy plants! I have both in my tent as well; here is Thai chi in week 8.

The smell is sweet, violets, vanilla, sour/citrus, plum, and tonka beans/cherry stones funk.

chichi.jpg

Last edited: