What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tent light

Slow-grow

I have a 240cm by 240cm x 200cm , my question to you today is how many light / wats/ what led lights would you put in this tent . Thanks guys

Corpselover Fat

Ppf
Ppfd
DLI
Umol/j

Those are what you need to know to compare different grow lights and to find out how much light you need. Google them up and become selfsufficient.

240*240 tent is huge. I hope you are harvesting kilos. To properly light that space you would need four 1k hps. A 1kw hps puts out 1700ppf (umol/s and ppf mean the same thing). So to match that you would need four led panels which produce 1700ppf each. They would use about 2/3 of the electricity the hps' would use.

dimodz

Elite StrainCloneHunter
Veteran
did wanna hang HPS/NDL or LeD lights .,?

2x600w HPS/NDL lights is right size for your tent & Led can be same watt ort less

dimodz

Elite StrainCloneHunter
Veteran
yeah that 4 lights a 600w with HPS at your 2,4m x 2,4mx2m² tent

Slow-grow

I will be using leds , and am aware of how huge that tent is , i have done hps grows but never in such a big tent , luckily im in a place that allows it . Ive been looking at the marshydro strip less they seem to have a decent selection. Thanks guys 🤘🙏

dimodz

Elite StrainCloneHunter
Veteran
no problem to use LeDs with 2 meter higher tent that usally today

DcSantos

I will be using leds , and am aware of how huge that tent is , i have done hps grows but never in such a big tent , luckily im in a place that allows it . Ive been looking at the marshydro strip less they seem to have a decent selection. Thanks guys 🤘🙏
you can use 4 x fc-4800 or 4xfc-e4800 if u going for mars hydro. each 480wattsx4=1.920 watts . They have bigger lights u can use them as well but this what I would choose for that space . 4 lights gives you more flexibility in a large space like that in case u want to grow multiple strains .

Slow-grow

Thanks for the reply’s people its given me a lot to think about in terms of which leds to use im pretty set on the tent.
I have the ventilation thought out but would like input on this to, i think i will use two 6’ inline fans to bring the air in and one 6’ with carbon filter to take air out . Now would an 8’ inline fan be better because of the added carbon filter?
Thanks for the help guys 🤘🙏

DcSantos

Just use extractors to extract the air ; fans for intake are a bit pointless because negative pressure will bring in fresh air through the intake vents wich should be slightly smaller than extracting vents. It is up to you what you would like to go for my friend ,either 2 6 inch extractors fans either a bigger one . As long as they or it (if u go for a bigger single extractor) are able to extract about 900 m3/h you should be good. if u want to ventilate even better u can go double . Keep in mind that u need to exchange the air in the tent about once or twice some do even three times a minute . If I remember well ,u need to increase the capacity of extractor like that : 30 or 50% if carbon filter used ,30% if is any 90 degree elbow in the ducting (either taking out ,either bringing air in ),and 10 % with each foot of ducting you use . Hope this helps you ,good luck !

Slow-grow

Ppf
Ppfd
DLI
Umol/j

Those are what you need to know to compare different grow lights and to find out how much light you need. Google them up and become selfsufficient.

240*240 tent is huge. I hope you are harvesting kilos. To properly light that space you would need four 1k hps. A 1kw hps puts out 1700ppf (umol/s and ppf mean the same thing). So to match that you would need four led panels which produce 1700ppf each. They would use about 2/3 of the electricity the hps' would use.
Sorry for the late reply . Thank you for this info , I've been thinking 2 marshydro fc8000 plus a 2 sp3000 and 2 or 3 sp150 .
Now i was going to with 4 fc8000 but was reading that the sp3000 has really great red spectrum and the sp150 has great blue spectrum.
Now that brings me up to 2,320 total wattage .

What are tour thoughts on that idea with the sp’s instead of just sticking 4 fc80000 in there?

I know the wattage would be a little more with just the fc’s but the sp’ will add more blue and red light for veg and flower ?
Yeah so any thought would be appreciated . Thanks again 🤘🙏

Slow-grow

I think i’m going over over kill on this thought . I am right ?
The lights would fit the tent whichever way i go but i could dial it down a bit and get similar results. Especially as this will be my flowering tent and I'm going to have a mother / clone/ veg tent aalso
So I humbly ask for tour suggestions, be in mind im wanting to use Led’s. Thank you nd sorry for the bombardment of questions. 🤘🙏

Last edited:

Corpselover Fat

Sorry for the late reply . Thank you for this info , I've been thinking 2 marshydro fc8000 plus a 2 sp3000 and 2 or 3 sp150 .
Now i was going to with 4 fc8000 but was reading that the sp3000 has really great red spectrum and the sp150 has great blue spectrum.
Now that brings me up to 2,320 total wattage .

What are tour thoughts on that idea with the sp’s instead of just sticking 4 fc80000 in there?

I know the wattage would be a little more with just the fc’s but the sp’ will add more blue and red light for veg and flower ?
Yeah so any thought would be appreciated . Thanks again 🤘🙏

I have no experience with Mars leds and your tent is 8 times larger than mine so I'm just speculating... The SP series looks good, but IIRC they have shorter warranty. Warranty with Mars may be, uhm, a bit limited anyway, but the series may not be as reliable as the FC. I may be wrong, but it's a bit weird they habe shorter warranty. Going with fc6500 is an option too. Four of those would still be *more* than enough. Do measure the inside dimensions of your tent. Both of the fixtures are so large it may be a problem.

Spectrum is IMO less important than the raw photon count. Bluer light will make the plants more compact and redder light will make them a bit larger.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Thanks for the reply’s people its given me a lot to think about in terms of which leds to use im pretty set on the tent.
I have the ventilation thought out but would like input on this to, i think i will use two 6’ inline fans to bring the air in and one 6’ with carbon filter to take air out . Now would an 8’ inline fan be better because of the added carbon filter?
Thanks for the help guys 🤘🙏
My 120x120x 240 tents are under-powered at 480 watts, over powered with 680 watts. I prefer to have additional power available if needed. If you are going to use a controller then the lights will need to be daisy chained. The whole space will have to be on the same light schedule.

I suggest 2 each 6” inlets on opposite corners. Make filter boxes and blow in clean air. If you want a single exhaust use an 8”. It will be drawing the tent air through a filter, which really restricts the flow. I highly recommend blowing in the air, instead of letting the tent negative pressure suck in the air through the screens (and zipper openings) along with dust, mites, dirt, etc… By blowing in cool filtered air, and sucking out the hot moist air, your tent will make slight positive pressure.

The beauty of tents is the ability to have a little custom space of vP
D and light. That is a big space to have all the same conditions. Your runs will be huge. Move big air and control the lung room conditions.

Good luck.

Slow-grow

My 120x120x 240 tents are under-powered at 480 watts, over powered with 680 watts. I prefer to have additional power available if needed. If you are going to use a controller then the lights will need to be daisy chained. The whole space will have to be on the same light schedule.

I suggest 2 each 6” inlets on opposite corners. Make filter boxes and blow in clean air. If you want a single exhaust use an 8”. It will be drawing the tent air through a filter, which really restricts the flow. I highly recommend blowing in the air, instead of letting the tent negative pressure suck in the air through the screens (and zipper openings) along with dust, mites, dirt, etc… By blowing in cool filtered air, and sucking out the hot moist air, your tent will make slight positive pressure.

The beauty of tents is the ability to have a little custom space of vP
D and light. That is a big space to have all the same conditions. Your runs will be huge. Move big air and control the lung room conditions.

Good luck.
Hello , thanks for the reply . Quick question if im pushing the air in , on the fams that take the air air out ill have carbon filters on so will i not have to have slightly bigger fans ? Also the smell control of the filters not be a problem? Ive only ever grown with the intake 2 times as big as the outtake and this is the other way around ? Thanks 🙏

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
The fan sucking through the carbon filter has to run harder to keep up with the fan pushing air in that was filtered as it was sucked into the filter box.

Slow-grow

The fan sucking through the carbon filter has to run harder to keep up with the fan pushing air in that was filtered as it was sucked into the filter box.
Hey bro , yeah i get that , but if running rwo 6 inch intakes will an 8inche outtake with a carbon filter , would that have enough power to keep the air flow and the same / acceptable rate and keep the carbon filter doimg its job . I would like to keep it as smell proof as possible. Thanks for the help guys .
Edit to add; imthe fans will all be speed control so maybe with a combination of speeds could help with keeping airflow moving at an acceptable rate ?

Slow-grow

Doesn't really make sense to try and push air in to the tent.
Yeah ive never done it like that before, always pulled the air through, wherever passive intake i think when I first grew i used fans for intake . But then again is passive airflow good enough for a tent this big and still keep the smell at bay with the 8inch carbon filter ? 🤘🙏

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts