What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Diary Swazi Rooibaard (landrace sativa) in coco under MH FC-E6500 led

Piff_cat

i really like these plants been researching further back in the india to south africa pipeline specifically odisa gold to swazi. these plants strongly resemble tropicals 140 day haze c x nl5 f3, mother of "extreme haze"
in stickmans grow on mns he ran into issues with sensitivity. the plant demanded high humidity, a low leaf surface temp, less direct light, and a rootzone with good size moisture swings. all of these together can really help landrace sativas inside. they do not like wet feet or concentrated high lumen lighting as it can cause too much nitrogen uptake
. i picture the humdity as a "shield" with proper rh accomplished high temps lead to explosive growth and smooth transpiration. but with hot leaf surface and low rh the plant freaks out and closes the stomata to stop from losing more moisture. this can begin a see saw chain reaction of frustrating nutrient issues even if the rez is proper ec. very nice ladies

1660405016578.png

1660405129927.png

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
They're really not that bad. Not perfect but I've seen much much worse. In my own tent even lol...

You mix your own fertilizer or just doing the math to get the ppm of individual elements?
Thanks again man. I know worse is possible, but that thought doesn't help as much as being high and trying to not care. I do have a plan to sober up before I start a new grow. There will be some rethinking and redesigning of my growing space, so I won't be getting bored in the meantime.
I found is highly inefficient to grow in big tents, since the reach inside to take care of plants is limited when they are fully grown. The mars hydro FCE6500 light is great and I wish I started this grow in a way to not have the flowering come right over the worse heatwave in years, to use it to it's full potential, ofc I learned some lessons from this adventure, hope not to forget them too soon. Plan is to use the same light next time, but with bars closer togheter over a narrower row of plants, 1.2 to 1.5 meters is way too wide for me to work from the side, so I belive a rectangular light with better spread would be more advantageous for my future plans. It's great the bars are moveable on the FCE models so basically I can now make the light fit my needs and future grow space without having to get a new one.

I do mix my own nutes, both to get better prices than the bottled "gold" they sell at the growshop, and also to have more control over the recipe the plants get. As you can see, tho, knowing how to mix my own didn't saved me from misdiagnosing the EC sensible plant as nutriend defficent rather than high EC and a bit too acid media, that was the true problem. Actually true problem may be I am way too high when I check them, but you know, hard to grow weed without also having access to weed to smoke while at it. And I am kinda addicted to growing.. so that gets us in this weird spot. I think I might also go 10/14 on the lights, soon.
Now, they do look like buds continue to grow and the resin smell in there is starting to be quite evident as soon as u open the tent door, so I would say with a bit of luck and maybe a bit of colder weather window till harvest, they might be ready in about 1 month. I mean I know swazi can move pretty fast once the pistils start to get orange, but would be crazy to think they would be ready in time, in about 2.5 to 3 weeks. I guess we'll see.
Wish me luck, I am gonna try some lights on pics soon. Hopefully the camera will be able to make better pics than during nighttime.

goingrey

Yeah the tents do come with their own challenges. Especially if the plants can't be moved out (of the way) easily for whatever reason. Overall the tents are probably pretty efficient though.

The thought of mixing up my own nutes seems quite intriguing. I don't grow so much so the savings would be limited, but interesting as an intellectual endeavor. Learn a little bit... One thing at a time though. First I wanna try some hydro growing with the bottles and see how that goes.

Take it easy man. Looking forward to your pics.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Yeah, I got nothing against the smaller tents around 1 meter wide, can be used well even with just 1 door. Bigger than that and it gets to be challenging in full flower, even if you have access to the side doors..
But I am not that guy that will move plants around to care for them, I prefer good access to them all the time, so I need to plan acordingly.
Regarding the nutrient, dunno, the cost per liter must be rivaling the tap water cost at this low EC. Something like around 5 euro in nute cost for this whole grow was my estimate when I started the grow. I think I would have needed a full set of nute bottles for this, at least. So.. much cheaper. But the money saving was an extra for me, wanting to be able to control the feeding better was the plan I started on.
Thanks, man! Peace and puffs! :joint:

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Those swazis have still got long to go...no rush here..LOL otherwise they bounced back..not looking as bad as you thought..fuck farming sober hahahaha My back is fucked from too many years and years of farming, no bottom disc anymore, so I either have to eat a handful of pain pills and anti-inflammatories in the morning, or I farm with a fair dollop of THC in the veins, guess which it is hahahaha.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
@tobedetermined Well, hard to do that now. I did it once like that cause I wasn't sure so better toss it. It was while experimenting at first so it was just a bucket or so. I also did it once in reverse, like I forgot to add one of the incredients, and almost used the water, but EC check alerted me I had the last powder component on the scale and not in the bucket. Since then I just have the recipe I am making in front of me each time, and just put the recipients with the diferent components in a line as I use them. I always know which step I am at, and EC meter can always be used to do final check to make sure nothing is missing. I am a pothead, but one with a system! Thank you for the visit! :joint:

@maryjaneismyfre Thank you brother. I really feel better with the amount of nice words coming from you guys! I do agree farming sober is not the way to go, but I suspect there are a lot of better levels to be at between the 2 extremes.
Actually, a bad back is what I try to avoid, I am getting older so putting my body in weird and inconfortable positions is not as cool as before, hence my plan on making the plants more accesible in next grow design. Good to hear THC makes your life a bit better, brother! :wave:
BTW, can you tell me anything about how long you think it gonna take till harvest?

Last edited:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
No stretching lately, except for that weird stretch at the top of some buds that happened some weeks ago, that was either from high ec or heat stress. There are also some stretched branches that came from the undergrowth all the way to the top, in the back part where I can't reach to clean/train them. It is indeed a jungle. Thanks for the visit and the nice words! :wave:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
It's not from the lamps heat man, some days the air comes in at 32C, and up to 28-30C till late in the night when lights are on. ButI will test them, swazi was always great germ rates for me. And the seeded buds are lower now, under the top layer of fresh buds grown after last tie-up. I still have some of the old seeds. If this fails I do it again in proper weather.. but I hope for the best!
Getting 20 liters of water a day is what made the tops thin out and stretch during pre-bloom period 😎

IndicaFarmer

That would be much appreciated by the community man, you have no idea. People seem to love the African genetics. Maybe it has something to do with the mysteriousness of that dark continent. It is the birthplace of mankind itself! We are all Africans deep down, through and through. Some of us with a dash or two of Denisovan and or Neanderthal genes for spiciness. But at the root, at its best place, we are an African creation. Yeah, keep that strain development going man, I am sure people would love to be able to acquire those genes for a donation from somewhere. I know I have a very strong pull towards pure Sativa landrace African varieties. Go figure I live in a northern hemisphere zone with cold winters!

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Getting 20 liters of water a day is what made the tops thin out and stretch during pre-bloom period 😎
Even if I am in coco (not soil), and they dried more than enaugh between waterings? 20 liters a day means 5 liters a day per 20 liter pot, I mean it's not so much considering it was like 29-32C even with nights out when they were getting 20 liters. Not want to dismiss your advice, I want to learn!
Now they are getting about 15 liters a day and sometimes watering finds them a bit drier than coco should be. And no stretch anymore.
But I did halved the EC, fixed the PH and it got a bit cooler since then so I was able to give them more light.
Thank you for coming in on this, buddy!

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Even if I am in coco (not soil), and they dried more than enaugh between waterings? 20 liters a day means 5 liters a day per 20 liter pot, I mean it's not so much considering it was like 29-32C even with nights out when they were getting 20 liters. Not want to dismiss your advice, I want to learn!
Now they are getting about 15 liters a day and sometimes watering finds them a bit drier than coco should be. And no stretch anymore.
But I did halved the EC, fixed the PH and it got a bit cooler since then so I was able to give them more light.
Thank you for coming in on this, buddy!
There's nothing you can do about it in coco. Stem elongation is a natural way a plant deals with a lot of water. It's just the way it is. Check out the below post and read tarzanianmagic post about water and plant growth. It's a very cool read. 😎

Any ideas" Rando leaf issue post on the 2nd page in the infirmary forum.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Check out the below post and read tarzanianmagic post about water and plant growth. It's a very cool read. 😎

Any ideas" Rando leaf issue post on the 2nd page in the infirmary forum.
Thank you man, I will dig into it right now, here it is for future reference:

Tangwena

Veteran
I wouldn't worry about temperatures to much man. I grow Africans in a ceiling space under a hot tin roof in the Aussie summer its 40c inside the roof space almost every day.
They love it as long as they have enough water.
I have found shortening the grow time to 12/11/10 and finally 9 lights on stops them from growing and starts them flowering fast if that helps.

funkyhorse

I dont know if it helps
On the heat issue outdoors here I have during summer and beginning autumm days of over 40C at the greenhouse and it is like Tangwena says, as long as they have enough water sativas love it
I have problems though with arugula or some tomato varieties at that temperature, this year I am experimenting with new vegetables so I will see how it works.
I wonder how indicas coming from colder areas in the planet deal with hot temperatures

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Here are this week's try at pics:

Left side, including the plant that was yellowfrom high ec in front.
left-side.jpg

Right side:
right-back.jpg

Some closeups:
closeup1.jpg
closeup2.jpg

No ideea what this is, a look from below.. whatever:
undershoot.jpg

They look weeks away from finishing, no ideea if that means about 3 more weeks or even more, but I hope they will be ready in about 1 month tops. By the usual flowering time, 1.5 weeks more from now and they would already be late.
The smell is moving from sour/hashy to sweeter smells and even the stretched tops started to fill in a bit, all good signs they are moving along with flowering. As you can see the main branches that are tied horizontally through the canopy are abit more advanced than the stuff at the top, which is the stretch since flowering started.
Not the greatest pics, but hopefully they are enaugh to make an ideea on what is going on in there. Hopefully as I get closer to the good settings on the camera I will be able to take some nice macros once the hairs go orangey. See you soon! :wave:

Tangwena

Veteran
i have grown swazi and thats just the first flowering of 3 to my way of thinking.
The buds will get waaay thicker and bigger before they are ready.
If you let it fill out you will not regret it fabulous high all go go go.

Latest posts

Latest posts