What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Super soil for monster mothers

Hi all.

Gonna be embarking on a new journey, this will be my 1st attempt at keeping a mother plant in super soil in order to generate clones...
I have always just cloned from existing plants before flip from veg to flowering...

Done a bit of research and finally decided to use "subcool's" recipe - problem is, half the shit I need I can't find locally e.g Azomite...!!
Gonna use my imagination, feeling and discretion.

Spoke to my horticulturist friend - "Shout out to Yulande" and got some input...

Gonna use a 80l black rubber dustbin with drainage at the bottom(usually grow in a hempy system...) - gonna stick a layer of large brown gravel at the bottom to assist with drainage. - Yulande suggested I use a shallower but wider container but space constraints demand that I stay with the dustbin(Individual mother closet)

Going to use a good quality potting soil as the base - will then amend with perlite, earthworm castings, bone meal, dolomitic lime and mainline calcium with a slow release fertilizer(1:1 N2 and k)

Will feed weekly with ph'd water and the occasional feed of nitrosol and seaweed extract...

Wanna run 1 x 36w CFL(6500k) and maybe supplement the sides at lower level with 2/3 11w CFL(6500k)

This is pretty much gonna be trial and error...
Interested to see the results..

Any input, feedback or suggestions will be appreciated...

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You don't change the soil formula at all. You simply increase root volume potential to adjust for the size / duration of expected growth.

dank.Frank

Yeah Frank

Problem is I grow in coco/perlite so have no experience with soil...
Wanted to follow subcools' formula but black ingredients

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What do you actually have at your disposal to make soil with and what do you have to amend with.

Let's start there. Tell me that, and I'll point you in the right direction.

dank.Frank

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Look up OT1's Bonsai Mum's and save yourself a lot of cash. Sub-Cool's soil will work fine, though I expect quicker rooting clones if you dilute it out quite a bit with something neutral. Especially if you're going to use CFL's for lighting.

Super simple, super effective. ;)

Got some advice last night to just keep it simple..
Good potting soil, multicote 8(slow release fertilizer) and mainline calcium.

Got a bit of time before I re-pot the chosen mother so still have to think about it for a while.

Frank...
I have Potting soil, earthworm castings, perlite, bone meal, dolomitic lime, epsom salts that's all I could find from subcools list

Thanks for all the input guys!

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah, you are no where close to what you need to produce a true water only soil ecosystem. I'm not of any use if you don't intend to pursue more inputs for your media.

Good luck and I wish you a successful harvest! :joint:

dank.Frank

Tokoloshe's mother soil mk1

Tokoloshe's mother soil mk1

Well I have finally decided on the 1st attempt at keeping mothers in super soil...

After a lot of deliberation and pondering and more than a little positive input(Thanx Bootz!) and finally sourcing the ingredients I am ready to give it a whirl...

My Recipe:
2 x 30cm2 bags of potting soil(culterra)
1 x 30cm2 bag of cocopeat potting soil
2 kg vermiculite
1 cup turbo-grow(rockdust)
2 cups dolomitic lime
3 cups bone meal
4 cups earthworm castings
4 cups diatomaceous earth
1 pellet bat guano(ground up)

Will top water once a week with straight tap water supplemented with mainstay calcium..
+/- twice a month fed with an organic tea?