What's new

Sunlight in white film greenhouse during flower

grolf

Hey!

Long time lurker, first time posting.

I grow outdoors. I had excellent yield and quality last year, though I had some trouble with botrytis on some colas (which I was able to remove and control successfully in general).

I have really good sun radiance in my latitude (mostly 12h daily), however, it gets quite wet and cold around here: heavy rains and hale storms are quite frequent (almost all year long). Because of this, I had to constantly cover and uncover my plant with a tarp last year. This was a drag, and also not so effective since I had some hale fall on the flowers on one occasion (generating botrytis).

This year my plant has grown much larger, so the process of covering and uncovering her with a tarp no longer seems like a good/easy thing to do. So this time around I decided to build a greenhouse with a white film covering it (it's 'greenhouse grade', which has a specification of UV-2 25% shade, 70% transmitance) now that it's flowering stage has started (it's entire vegetative growth was under direct sunlight, and I have decided to cover it with the green house now that it has started to flower.)

My question is: Will this negatively impact flower growth? I have been able to control the temperature inside (which is quite warmer than the cold weather outside)
The day I built the green house a storm came in, so I'm convinced it has to stay. However, uncovering and covering with the plastic seems like it could be quite difficult given the size.
I guess my second question is: Will I have to add artificial lighting to compensate? or is it not a big deal now that it's in flowering stage?

wh.png

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice!

*I posted this in here as well as in the greenhouse forum, in case anyone over here relates to this circumstance.

Glen Vowell

I grew with woven plastic from "Bob's Super Strong Plastic" back in the 90s for my backyard boogie greenhouse/hoophouse. lt hid my plants from prying eyes in my neighbourhood in BC & l found it diffused the light nicely VS the see-thru stuff. Great stuff & strong. lt lasted for years. No issues whatsoever with flowering, eh? Had to knock off the heavy Kitimat snows off my hoophouse several times a day in the winter though & it shrugged off that wear & tear easy as farting. YouTube "Kitimat snowfall" to see what l had to deal with. l'd go out at 3AM sometimes to clear snow off my hoophouse...lol

grolf

Short strokes your fine :)
cool. not sure what you mean by 'short strokes', but I'm left at ease by 'your fine' 😁

I grew with woven plastic from "Bob's Super Strong Plastic" back in the 90s for my backyard boogie greenhouse/hoophouse. lt hid my plants from prying eyes in my neighbourhood in BC & l found it diffused the light nicely VS the see-thru stuff. Great stuff & strong. lt lasted for years. No issues whatsoever with flowering, eh? Had to knock off the heavy Kitimat snows off my hoophouse several times a day in the winter though & it shrugged off that wear & tear easy as farting. YouTube "Kitimat snowfall" to see what l had to deal with. l'd go out at 3AM sometimes to clear snow off my hoophouse...lol

wow that's harsh climate, I may have overstated that it gets quite cold around here. the weather here is actually a blessing then

thanks!

Latest posts

Latest posts