What's new

Suggestions for new LED,tent, filter...

blondie

I’m looking seriously into retiring my HPS for an LED. Likely a new 5x5 tent as well. I don’t have a filter now but would like one. Not worried about smell, more about junk floating around. Mainly going to grow a few plants and some greens/veggies. Anyone know how well LEDS do with growing vegetables inside? Suggestions? Any package deals? I am looking at Mars some.

xet

Really unique options out there https://www.alibaba.com//trade/sear...t_en&CatId=&tab=all&SearchText=led+grow+light

I see why people want simple plug and play.

Personally I prefer 5000K - 6000K spectrum since our sun is ~5800K (and manufacturers will make you 5800K lights but only upon request .. DM if you want a manufacturing contact on that front then I have one, or three) but humanity still has not figured out how to synthesize black body radiation but that is another topic.

Great package deals in that link and if you want to DIY then 100w cobs run ~$10 a piece. The drivers industry is more of a war over who can market their photoshop logo the best, have seen super DIY people do 10 minute modifcations on $50 drivers with $2-$20 parts (the parts industry for drivers is insanely awesome and competitive and innovative too if you nerd out on that front, basically anyone can model the next world's best driver right now if they want to) turning them into premium technological marvels, custom PCB's ripped from NASA modelling tables for example, all sorts of wacky unexplored territory on that front.

A lot of the vegetable growing is variable, different plants will prefer different spectrums (strongly correlated with hardiness zones for example), most of that research is underexplored but as a general rule of thumb I believe in sticking close to the sun's spectrum of 5800K and I can rabbit-hole into several layers deeper than that (think GPS) but that is also another topic.

Have fun :)

FletchF.Fletch

420club
What's up @blondie ? Hope you and your Lady are enjoying Summer.

Hortilux LEDs have been trouble free and very productive. Much less issues with leaf stress under their spectrums. Kind has a new series with dual channel dimming so you can apply UV and Red as needed. The prices on the new models are much more reasonable than the Sky-High pricepoints the brand was known for. Mars has nice lights too, although I have not used the personally.

blondie

Im still looking. The good and bad news is im already about to buy a bunch of seeds for the tent and light I am thinking of getting. Seems I’ve committed myself to this.

I’m also starting to look at the mars hydro 4x8 tent. What light would anyone recommend for this sized tent?? I think I need this size tent for all the seeds I want to grow....

Reactions: GMT

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
2xfce3000 for that size tent? Thats almost perfect light spread..

fce4800 I was gonna recomend for it, the fc3000 was for the usual 100cm tent, I was thinking I got it but seems I was a bit off.
I now checked (seeing how you thinking about using 6500s now) and ofc 4 ft is an 120 cm tent, which could be used with either 4800 or 6500. btw, fce6500 is 115 x 116 cm size, so it will be as big as the interior of your steel frame for the tent. Literally as big as you could fit inside.

Last edited:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
ofc it's overkill but if you can vent the heat and feed the plants at those levels, I guess it can be done.
later.edit: check my previous post. excuse my initial stoner response.

Last edited:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
You'd get a variance in intensity with two sp6500's. The latest craze is the FC/e style, but with a single light, one problem and it's lights out. The safe route is 4 TSL2000'S. Perfect coverage and control if you want one end brighter or even lighting.

blondie

well This is a bit of a cluster frig. I somehow missed explosive comment about just fitting in the tent. Mars support had recommended the 6500 series but man these are just too big. I have not plugged them in yet but looks dangerous to me. I’m thinking return. Anyone agree?

Attachments

• 07B6DF6E-F11F-4EB1-9454-6E764901F66D.jpeg
    07B6DF6E-F11F-4EB1-9454-6E764901F66D.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 99
  • CC8D329D-ACA3-48D8-AF97-A94996C5B142.jpeg
    CC8D329D-ACA3-48D8-AF97-A94996C5B142.jpeg
    939.9 KB · Views: 88
  • 4A517D0F-5694-4DEF-9D83-2A7D92AFE805.jpeg
    4A517D0F-5694-4DEF-9D83-2A7D92AFE805.jpeg
    1,005.8 KB · Views: 98

Corpselover Fat

well This is a bit of a cluster frig. I somehow missed explosive comment about just fitting in the tent. Mars support had recommended the 6500 series but man these are just too big. I have not plugged them in yet but looks dangerous to me. I’m thinking return. Anyone agree?

I don't knownhow much the ends heat up, but certainly not the best scenario. Would they fit any better turned 90°?

Edit: oh it's literally pushing the side of the tent out... That would worry me.

Growenhaft

I have not plugged them in yet but looks dangerous to me.

I don't think that can really become a problem. the ends do not really heat up and ventilation will certainly be sufficiently present.

the film is also designed in such a way that not only the light but also the heat is reflected and distributed well. a punctual overheating of the film triggered by LED light so that it could come to a fire I think is excluded.

if my used Fluence spydr 2p is similar to their model I do not know... but neither will take much... I can measure you the foil temperature at the point where the light is closest... my girls have to wake up first.